1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supporting my trans girlfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mariana, May 8, 2018.

1. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there! I'm cis, my girlfriend is trans, and I want to support her as much as I can. I know what makes her feel dysphoric, and she knows that she can talk to me about anything.

I'm just curious what other people find helpful in their relationships or would find helpful in a relationship. So if you're trans or non-binary, I'd love it if you could share what kinds of small things your partner has done/could do to make you feel good and happy and loved. Doesn't have to be gender-specific necessarily :slight_smile:

Richard321 likes this.
  2. Samthing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My gf is also trans and she struggles with her body confidence, she gets anxious going out in public when she's dressing more like herself, the trick is constant reassurance and encouragement. I often buy her new pretty clothes and encourage her to wear them outside. Telling her she's beautiful helps too.

Mariana likes this.
  3. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the reply!
    I try to be really reassuring and encouraging, and I know she loves it when I tell her she looks great. Buying her clothes is not really an option I think, because I'm a student on a tight budget, and also because she's very specific as to what she feels she can wear, and I feel like buying her something would put too much pressure on her. What I'm doing at the moment is letting her try on my clothes when she feels like it, even though they don't always fit that well and she probably wouldn't wear them outside.
    I know that she sometimes gets quite self-conscious about facial hair, and I really have no idea what to do about that.

4. Samthing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just keep doing what you're doing, encourage and reassure and boost her confidence. These things take a while but ultimately she'll thank you for it

5. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I'm trying :slight_smile: I just wish I could help her more.