1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else have the feeling of "being wronged".

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, May 6, 2018.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I constantly have the feeling of "being wronged". Searching for reasons. I wonder if this feeling can go hand and hand with internalized homophobia.

Comments?

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is the feeling generalized or target specific? Are you feeling "being wronged" by something or someone specifically?

I do have some generalized feelings of being wronged. I was "wronged" by a society that taught me to be ashamed of myself for liking boys when I was a teenager, and being wronged by parents who didn't see what I was going through, even though I did everything to hide my attractions to boys. It wasn't my parents' fault, they just didn't even think about stuff like that at the time. If either of my parents had ever said to me that they thought being gay was ok (even as a comment not directed to me) I think my life would have turned out very differently.

Letting go of the past is difficult, but it is a necessary step in shedding the baggage that led us here. I'm still working on it.

3. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is like something that would come from my own thoughts.

I'm gay likes this.
  4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    brainwashed.....I saw this post late last night and didn't really understand....very long, tiring day! I just now saw it again and immediately I felt a kind of burning in my heart and thought YES.YES.YES. Damned society that told me I was a worthless pervert. Then I saw I'm Gay's post and he said it too. I have pretty much gotten over my anger at what I went through...but once in a while it can still flare up. I so want people today to never have to feel the way I did. I know that in many places it is better...but not everywhere and still not enough. When no one needs to ever "come out", when gender is as every-day as eye color and yes, when skin color doesn't matter either.... Maybe then we will have stopped torturing people...children, for who they are....for the things that we can not change. For the things that we should not even have to think about changing to "fit in". We.are.human. that is enough and it is wonderful.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

5. Caraldo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Almost all people have been wronged in some way. I guess I hadn't thought about it too much, but, yes. I didn't conjure up my sexual desires, they just were. I feel wronged by a society that says I was born male so I must be, that there is no gray area. I am wronged by me, who wouldn't accept my attraction and romantic desires for men as something inherently beautiful, and was too much of a coward to accept and embrace my femininity .

6. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think for a while I felt sad about my friends who have had pride since high school and I was deeply angry and resentful toward myself because I didn't understand. I also felt frustrated because several of my friends don't understand why I "pass" since they don't understand the family I'm from or the location of the US I used to live in. There is a huge disconnect with more elite, affluent folks and many of them cannot comprehend that many of us were literally beaten for displaying anything other than the norm.

I've gotten over that or I just ignore their ignorance. They're not worth my time.

So, to answer your question, personally, yes I've felt this to a degree. I also think that many older queer folks understand this pain, anger, frustration since they went through this to even greater, more global extent. I like talker with older queer folks (like in their 60's and older) since they remember those days of righteous anger-- the ACT UP generation. We shouldn't forget our history.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's both - generalized and target specific. I think part of my "being wronged" feeling comes from events in my past (my theory), long forgotten and now live in my subconscious. But then there's the driver who cuts me off in traffic, this really sets off the "being wronged" feelings.

8. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’ve only wronged myself

9. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel wronged by a society that led me to believe that the only gay women are butch women who hate men and often feel awkward around other women. Hence I leapt to the conclusion that I was straight. How wrong I was.

#9 Peterpangirl, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Drizzle likes this.
  10. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that many of us have had to live with some form of guilt or shame in our lives, brought on by friends, family, work colleagues, teachers, the media, whatever. Some people felt bad about knowing from a young age that they were "different" from similar kids of their age but we're bright enough to know that it did not fit with society's expectations of them, and so did the "straight" act, married, had kids, and did their best to fit in.
    Others, like me, did not even know they might not be straight until they were engaged or married, and tried to shake those feelings off as a "phase", like some kind of mid-life crisis that arrived early but we oils soon pass.
    Most of us i believe were not unhappy but felt a nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right, and that something was missing from our lives...but those are the times when some of us feel wronged, when we feel like we have been deceived and life has played a cruel trick on us, denying us the right to feel comfortable, happy, content and free within the strict confines of society. So we have to make a choice - destroy the life we've built or go into hiding and live a lie. It's easier for some than others to live to their authentic selves, due to circumstances or the overwhelming feeling that things need to change, while others put their religion or their family first and try their best to curb and deny those feelings.
    Either way is not easy. It's one of life's major tests. And we all have to choose to walk our own path.

Poet1972, Peterpangirl and Drizzle like this.
  11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, reflecting on this question, it’s not one I have yet to specifically address with myself. And thinking about it, my friends have long always said I complained when I perceived others of being critical of me. Yet, my friends would insist no one had been critical in many instances.

That said, while I had not addressed the underlying issue as being wronged, I did build up quiet an ego over time as a way to protect myself. As part of my process towards self actualization, I did learn to let go of my outsized ego. And now when I reflect on that, I also no longer concern myself when I would have previously perceived others to be critical of me.

My current thought, and I recognize I will go away from this thread and think about it some more (and think if there is a correlation between your question and how I am responding) is that such feeling of being wronged my very well be a symptom of shame. Let me digest that further.

#11 OnTheHighway, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018