1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am homophobic

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Gayhusband, May 8, 2018.

1. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    im homophobic, I’m also gay. I married to a wonderful woman. I’m closeted to everyone but her. I know I’ve been gay for 35 of my 48 years. She’s known for 25 years. She thought bisexual was hot at the time. I’ve tried to hide it. Hide from it, but as you know there is no escape from being gay. Denial of my true self is causing me a lot of anxiety. I’ve recently been very open with my wife about my desire to be with men sexually. She’s said if I need to act out my impulses, I should. That’s when I say “we’ll its the fantasy that turns me on so much”. I can’t bring my self to admit that I am so gay now that I can’t please/love my wife the way she deserves. I can’t admit that my depression and her depression stem from my inability to accept myself as gay. She gets angry with me at times because she doesn’t want to see me struggle so much. She tells me that she would set me free of this struggle if I would be able and willing to inform our friends and family that our marriage isn’t working out because I’m gay? But I cannot! Why?

Richard321 likes this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gayhusband.....I'm 67. I was out at 17, but due to a terrible tragedy, I shut myself so tightly in the closet that I managed to repress the memories of being out until about 9 months ago. It was always in my subconscious and I always found myself looking at guys....I told myself for years that I liked the way they dressed. At about 45 I began to understand it was more than that. So I did the same as you, I hid it and I also hid it from myself as much as I could. Yes...the depression became worse and worse until it almost took my life three years ago. At the moment of crisis I came out here on empty closest. For a year after that I told no one else outside of EC. I held on...just barely, then I finally broke down and went to a counselor/therapist. That was when my life really started to change. I really can't tell you all the things he has helped me through. He was especially important when all the memories of when I was 17-22 came back. My best friend, my lover, the man who I would have married if it had been possible then died. His parents found out about us before he passed and I never got to say good by or go to his funeral. Without Jacob (therapist) I don't know how I could have handled those memories and the flash-backs. About the only way we can handle some things in our life is to seek outside help. Please try to find an LGBTQ qualified counselor/therapist, or perhaps one who is gay - Jacob is gay. They will understand what you feel and can guide you to a place of acceptance. I never felt like I fit anywhere, that I "belonged" anywhere. Now I can say out loud "I am gay" and I smile and know that I have a huge LGBTQ family all around the world. I know that when I meet one of my brothers or sisters that we can hug and have an immediate connection, something I haven't had since I was 22.

Please stay with us here on empty closets. Keep us updated on how you're doing. We do care and do want to help.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you offered / did you offer your wife the chance to see other men? She has offered this chance to you already.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome. I can imagine how difficult this must be for you. I think one of the first pieces of this is understanding yourself and how you are processing it. As we process any loss (in this case, loss of perception as straight), there are stages we go through: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. They aren't always sequential, and sometimes (as in your case) people can stay stuck in one or more stages for decades.

What it sounds like to me is that you are having difficulty genuinely accepting that you are gay, and that it is tied up in your worrying about judgment from other people. This is why you don't want to tell others. That, in turn, is rooted in your own shame... which also drives the homophobia toward others, as you're projecting a fear about yourself onto other people.

So the first step, if I were you, would be to work through the shame. Brené Brown is a researcher who has been studying shame and authenticity and emotional vulnerability for almost 20 years, and the way she communicates about it makes it accessible and understandable in a way that other researchers before her have not been able to do. I'd suggest checking out her three TED talks on Youtube (The Power of Vulnerability, The Price of Invulnerability, Listening to Shame) and see if that material resonates for you. If it does, that may hold the key to helping you work through this.

Going to therapy is also something I'd highly recommend. It will be a lot easier to discuss and work through these issues with professional help than trying to do it all yourself.

And sticking around EC and discussing your issues will be a huge help as well.

5. Caraldo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    @Gayhusband you are not alone by a long shot. There are many of us with similar experiences. I know none of this is easy, but I really suggest that you push forward in your progression. Everyday I am experiencing relevations of just how much living this was killing me .

#5 Caraldo, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Gayhusband likes this.
  6. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi 'Gayhusband'
    A lot of what you describe is my story! In my twenties I frequented the occasional gay bar etc. but never admitted to myself that I was gay. I went to therapy to make myself straight. I got married with the intention of living happily ever after. Life was lackluster eventually descending into that murky black hole of depression. I lost my business as a result.
    Eventually one night I just broke down crying and told my wife that I was gay. She had suspected that I was bi, being gay was hurtful to her. That was the first time I said "I am GAY" out loud. Saying that was scary, but I was broken.
    It has taken a long time and hard work to learn to accept myself, but it was worth it. I'm now fully out and I've never been happier.
    We have decided to separate, that is a difficult process, and we are managing to remain friends throughout.
    The biggest thing she is hurt at is the years of my depression, not me being gay.
    Looking back at my journey getting medical help for my depression would have helped. At the time I didn't realise I was depressed as I slowly drifted in to it.
    For me I found it very difficult to accept myself, it was only the acceptance of that helped me. You are lucky that your wife accepts you. Hopefully this will be the start of a journey to a fuller life.

Gayhusband and Caraldo like this.
  7. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All excellent advice. It’s does take awhile to be able to fully embrace your homosexuality. As stated you really need to keep moving forward towards acceptance. Certainly a skilled counselor can help navigate these sometimes treacherous waters as will staying up on the various discussions on EC. You will find as all of us have felt that our experiences might be unique to us,in reality most of us on EC have experienced similar.
    Please know the destination is worth the trip! Finally living as an openly gay man has been such a liberating, educational and wonderful experience. I wish the same for you.
    Good luck in your journey.

8. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m only homophobic to myself. Sadly, coming out to my wife and kids has turned my life upside and inside out without any satisfaction. I’m lonely and sad and blame it all on my sexuality. Sorry, for being negative but I just want my old life back.

Gayhusband likes this.
  9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no reason to be sorry for feeling negative about what you're going through. I think that all of us who go through the process of coming out experience exactly the same feeling. It is part of the anger phase, and it's entirely understandable. I think if you read through the Later in Life forum, you'll see a lot of stories very similar to yours. I think it's the exception when people don't have a lot of upheaval where families and marriages are involved.

The good news is, nearly everyone who goes through this eventually comes out the other side a lot happier, and most are able to maintain reasonable relationships with their ex-spouses and family (though there are occasional exceptions, and it does often take time.)

I think the more you simply vent and voice the anger and frustration, and talk about whatever else is going on, the more quickly you'll be able to move through this.

Gayhusband likes this.
  10. Gayhusband

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

11. MapleCross

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Gayhusband I want to encourage you to seek the help of a good counselor or therapist and if possible hope that he or she is gay. I suffered a depression when i was not out and I was so lucky to find a good female counselor who while not gay herself was very sympathetic and helped me to change my life. To accept myself for who I was and to start telling my family and friends who I truly am as a gay man