1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Later in life switch

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Orchidea123, Apr 26, 2018.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The decline started about 4 years ago. It was nothing to do with my sexuality initially. My partner was working 13 hour days whilst I was at home with our baby, then he became close with a female colleague, talked about her all the time, lied about seeing her outside work, which did overlap with my questioning. Nothing is simple. I care less about the non-sexuality aspects of the decline now, but I maintain my sexuality is only one part of it.

Is that what you meant? Ask anything you like!

BiBarefeet likes this.
  2. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I understand fully, and your analysis of your situation and your marriage is not dissimilar to mine. Thanks a lot, you sound like a cool person.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha...thanks. :sunglasses: You too!

When I think about, I don't think that I'd be happy in my relationship even if I were straight. I'd say the sexuality element has potentially kept me in the relationship longer than I would have stayed otherwise, because it's easy to get hung up on the idea that you're leaving just to have sex with members of your own sex, which is a huge oversimplification, but when you fixate on it then it makes the prospect of splitting up your family feel like a selfish act. Also, for me, questioning was a big distraction from the issues in my relationship. I essentially ignored them in favour of working out whether I gay, bi or straight.

4. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow...honestly, we sound so alike...it could be me mouthing those exact words. Everything you said is the same for me. If it was just about finding a more compatible, sexually adventurous version of my wife then it would be so much easier than having thoughts and feelings for the same sex.
    Yes, the non sexual aspects of the relationship going downhill play their part of course, and the lack of love, closeness with each other, trust and respect are all important...and wrapped up with that is the wish that we both could have been a lot more open and honest about things, including my sexuality/ sexual orientation with her. And if she had been a lot more of an understanding and easy going person then i wouldn't feel the tension of having to keep that side of me so secret from her. And you know what? I wouldn't feel as dissatisfied with things, and probably less fixated on the same sex.
    I kind of wish that she was openly bisexual. It would make us much more open and honest with each other, not to mention the increased sexual excitement. But hey how, that's life I guess.

5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something that I've been thinking recently...My partner is seeking help for low mood and it's got me thinking about what I'm going to say if a discussion about our relationship comes up. I do think that if I could be open and he could be understanding, then by not feeling so trapped I would find the whole issue easier to manage. I'm not saying I'd necessarily be attracted to him or happy with the relationship, but it'd be interesting see how I felt. But, like you, I really don't feel able to tell him. If I do, I'm sure it will become the only issue in our relationship, and whilst I'm not perfect, I would like him to acknowledge some of his mistakes.

6. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Completely understand.
    These revelations make me feel like you're my new bestie :slight_smile:

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  7. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Perhaps as we get older we get to know ourselves better and understand who we really are?

Although I’ve identified as Bi since I was a teenager I think I done a lot of things just to try and fit in. I think you have to be physically and emotionally ready to embrace your sexuality and sometimes that takes a long time?

spartafc, sassenB, SquareBiz and 3 others like this.
  8. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another thought: Perhaps sometimes we have to live through and experience the default narrative before we feel ready to pursue an alternative one.

9. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's definitely possible. I think that perhaps a combination of factors could come into play, and they are differently weighted for each person.

Peterpangirl likes this.
  10. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Interesting analysis and stories from all.. I think my switch (if I am for sure what I think I am :slight_smile: ) is a clean switch with about 3 year transition so far..
    So, maybe for some, transitional period is longer and is interpreted as 'all the signs were there'.. Not for all of course.

11. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anybody else think that people might have various genes that predispose them to homosexuality and that these can be switched on or off?

#31 Peterpangirl, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Orchidea123 likes this.
  12. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that it's a combination of genes and hormones personally...hence why some days I feel gay while other days I feel straight, and some days I feel horny while others I feel no sexual feelings at all.

Orchidea123 and Peterpangirl like this.
  13. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wonder if that's the case.. All I know is that my desires and what I pay attention are completely different from 3 years ago. Prior to that, I don't recall feeling suppressed to express myself in relationships, and experienced normal ups and downs, and satisfaction level in heterosexual relationships.

I've been wondering if it's a midlife crisis, something I ate (lol), someone watching over me playing games haha, something in water etc.
    Something definitely caused the switch, not just external source, internal source as well..

14. spartafc

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boom. You hit the nail right on the head. (I mean, at least for me.)

#34 spartafc, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  15. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in a long term heterosexual relationship I didn't feel at the time that I wasn't fully expressing my sexual self. I genuinely believed that I was expressing all there was of me and that I was shy and not very expansive in a sexual sense - though I always knew I was an emotional person - but now I am with a female partner I actually daydream about doing things she likes to her...for the sheer pleasure of pleasing another person sexually. I am comfortable about imagining me as me in a sexual and fantasy scenario. In my very limited experience of different heterosexual I haven't been able to do that before... Also now my inhibitions are lower. I still have hang ups about parts of my body I don't like but I actually enjoy initiating sex acts on another. In particular I want to see her face and hear her and get as physically close as possible. I used to feel uncomfortable with the words "make love" - unaccountable irritated by them and preferred to talk in terms of "sex" or "fucking". Now I use all these words with no problem whatsoever.