1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you notice people who wear Pride paraphernalia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Love4Ever, May 5, 2018.

1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So big word I know, but basically do you notice if someone is wearing something that looks like it could be a sign of their sexuality, even if it's subtle? The reason I ask is I know that if I saw a rainbow pin or an equal sign or something like that I would assume that it was Pride related, but what about more subtle stuff? Like I have a bracelet I wear that is pink, blue, and purple, but to the mainstream LGB community is that recognizable for what it is? The bisexual colors? Or would you just see it and think it was a regular bracelet? I guess I am asking how subtle is too subtle to be noticed? And do you look for people wearing stuff like this?

2. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I would notice it and think that it is LGBTQ related...but the other part of me is so dense and lost in my own little world of hyperchondria that I would not put two and two together...in other words I would think it is LGBTQ related, and yet I would think that you must be straight and that you do not actually know that it is LGBTQ related.
    Yep, that's how much of a massive div I am regarding peoples' sexuality...

3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol. Thank you. I am looking for honest responses here, and I know that some things are not as well known and therefore go overlooked. Maybe I should come up with something better IDK?

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would fly under my radar--although you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone LGBT where I live so I may not be as much on the lookout.

5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you don't mind me asking what would you advise that would be easier for you to identify? I guess rainbow stuff is more obvious, but I'm not out and I'm bi not gay and was afraid that might confuse people more.

6. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would wear something purple then. Or multi-coloured.
    I have an LGBTQ ring of like 5 coloured stones, and a toe ring like that as well.

7. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't notice any of this stuff. There are so many different causes now with different ribbons or badges, etc. Colours don't indicate anything to me. Rainbow colours would mean something if big enough, but then there are many different rainbows now. And rainbows used to be a kids thing. Are rainbows still a kids thing? Kids like colours.

I remember a guy at the front of ASDA years back selling / collecting for red ribbons. No one was buying. I asked what it was about. It was about HIV. I bought one and he pinned it on me. I'd not have known otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if people thought I was gay just for having one of the little red ribbons on. I wouldn't of other people, but we all know how some people can be.

I have this red, white and blue wrist band. It was sold to raise money for the injured military personnel. I like the colours. I dare say some people will think me gay for wearing it. It seems that to be a man you have to wear a yellow or white one to have a manly cause - lol. But I just let bigots think what they want to think now. A rainbow one of those wrists bands would seem self evident though - in support of LGBTQ. I've not got one of them though. I just have the red, white and blue on somewhere.

So in answer to your question, no I don't notice.

#7 Richard321, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
  8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's enough pretty obvious stuff going on where I live and my gaydar is well honed enough that I guess I don't really look for the subtle hints. You'd have to wear something pretty obvious for me to remark it--even at that point I would probably only notice it after deciding someone was LGBT.

9. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think the colour of clothes gives much of a hint. Different people like different colours. People have clothes bought for them. People like sticking out for all sorts of reasons. Some people don't like sticking out.

#9 Richard321, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
  10. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw someone at my work the other night with a pin on their badge with the bisexual flag colors on it. I think if you already know what the colors mean, it's not hard to pick them out.

11. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting. I have been reading all the responses. I guess I need to just look "gayer" if that's a thing. Because the reason I started wearing the bracelet was because I "look" straight. I don't know anymore.

12. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't before but I do now. It's crazy how much you start to see and notice after realizing you're part of the group. Little circular rainbow pins on backpacks catch my eye now. Sometimes people put a second pin next to it that's more specific like bisexual colors or the transgender symbol.

It also makes me look back at things I saw before and didn't understand at the time. One of my math teachers had a piece of paper taped to her office door that said "safe zone" in rainbow colors. I thought it was just her being artistic - now I realize it was an LGBT thing.

13. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    IKR? I really notice this stuff now too. I always look for things. I don't see too many though.

14. misslovely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    where my mom lives I don't see a whole lot of rainbow items. The other day at Whole Foods one of the cashiers was wearing a rainbow scarf and I wondered. if she was a member of the LGBTQ community....... but yes. I do notice, to answer the question.

I have these rainbow hoops I've started wearing recently. It's my way of coming out without actually verbally coming out. [also I'm in support of the LGBTQ comm. and that's my way of letting people know.].

15. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The bisexual flag is recognizable to people in the know, so I think a bracelet with that exact sequence of colours would tip off a person who is into pride flags, etc.

16. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cool. I may still need to get one that is more obvious. It's the right colors, but it isn't like block colors its just made of little interconnected bands that alternate in pink, blue and purple. It's rather delicate and subtle but I may need something a bit bolder.

17. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've seen some people at my school wear it, and I've seen it on cars too sometimes. I want to get some equality and pride stuff for myself soon too, especially the equality symbol since it could also be a symbol for general equality and general open mindedness. I'm thinking of doing something subtle but present for coming out day next year, making myself, or ordering on amazon maybe, idk. A trans pride bracelet and maybe a bi one too. At school, so my parents wouldn't know but people at school would. I'm already openly out to most people at school but I might make a little statement just because, and also both to show anti-lgbt people I'm not afraid of them, and to show other lgbt people that a fellow lgbt person is there, and maybe it will also make someone who is in the closet feel better knowing there are other lgbt people there, and if they need someone to talk to, my bracelets could be a conversation starter or show that I'm there.

18. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree completely with this last part. I really want to not only be recognizable for me but for other people. I live in a conservative town and I want to show people I'm not afraid and to help other people feel safe. I never want someone to feel that they have no one they can trust. I may be a complete stranger but I am willing to talk with anyone who needs to. I feel really bad for kids especially. It's so hard when you can't even tell your own parents. I want to be the someone they can tell.

19. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In that case, you might want to get one that's obvious, with the exact hue of ea/ and looks identical to the flag :^) Happy shopping

20. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good point. Maybe I'll find one of those rubber wristlet type ones.