1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion and Family

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Madissar, May 1, 2018.

1. Madissar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I’ve recently told my wife I’m Bisexual and she refused to accept it. I have been told to repent because I was bought up as Muslim. My wife asked me to remove myself off the joint Tennancy. She threatened to tell my family if I didn’t and I have agreed to this but she still has disclosed my sexuality to my family. I have been told that I should be burnt and there is no place for me here. I have left home for a month or so and living with a friend. I have been getting threats from anonymous text messages. I have three beautiful children and she will let me see them but gives me Abuse when I turn up. I don’t know what to do and I can’t go back to the area. My parents and family are well rooted in thier religion and culture and feel like my life has come to an end!!!
    I am living with a friend, his partner and two children. Although he is the only support I have I feel like I’m treading onto his personal life and got nowhere else to go

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really sorry you're having to go through this. My family hasn't been treating me well either because of religion (not as bad as yours is though). I don't really have any experience with Islamic stuff so I can't be much help with that, but I googled your location and it looks like you live in England? That's a pretty progressive country for LGBT people from what I've heard - are there any social programs the government runs that you could use to get help for all of this?

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry all this has happened - it's unfortunate that your wife told your family about this. But I am glad you have some place to stay in the meantime.

Depending on where you are, there may be some resources for queer Muslims - I would encourage you to look for them and attend any meetings they might have. If you have any questions about how to find them, let me know and I'd be happy to look for some for you. :slight_smile:

Also, it's probably natural to feel like you are treading on your friend's space. You're in a tough situation and I can understand why you might feel badly about how things are going. But, if your friend invited you to stay there, then they want you there - try to keep that in mind and don't give yourself extra things to feel bad about.

Keep posting! Let us know how it's going, and hopefully you can find some sort of help and community nearby.

4. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to read you're going through that. My family treated me badly because of religion, too, though in our case it's Christianity. The problem is not you, it's them... If you can, reach out to any LGBT groups/organizations in your area. They will be able to point you to resources or programs that can help people in your situation. Take care of yourself, and good luck. No one deserves this treatment.

Destin likes this.