1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digit ratio and my sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ofrosetti, Apr 25, 2018.

1. ofrosetti

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, I'm an 18 year old female and have question/concern. I'm diagnosed by my therapist with OCD, so I tend to obsess about things where there is no need, meaning this may appear like a silly question. But, I am pretty certain I am bisexual as over my lifetime I have liked both girls and boys. However, I've experienced a huge amount of confusion over this, often thinking maybe I'm a lesbian, which would be fine but my digit ratio makes me think I'm wrong. I have a low digit ratio which most men have, and apparently women who have it are often homosexual. Because I'm bi, does this mean I've got my sexuality wrong? Don't laugh! I'm comfortable with the label bisexual, though I don't often label myself unless someone really truly needs it, and I'm just worried that other bisexual women have their index fingers longer and that means I'm wrong!

Sorry for the utter stupidity of this question, but can someone please clarify If I'm correct in my thinking and my digit ratio determines my sexuality. Thank you!!

2. Limiteded

Limiteded Guest

I’ve done some research on this and mostly what I’ve found is speculation. I real hard evidence to prove either way

ofrosetti likes this.
  3. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your digit ratio does not determine your sexuality. There seems to be some correlation between the two (which means that a certain ratio and a certain sexuality might tend to appear at the same time), but correlation does not equal causation (which means that a certain ratio causes a certain sexuality). You might compare it to the myth that e.g. computer scientist are introverted. They might (maybe) be more introverted on average than the total population, but that wouldn't convince an extroverted computer scientist that they are not in fact extroverted and their "real" nature is being introverted.

ofrosetti and Bicchi like this.
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely no solid evidence that digit ratio is reliably correlated to sexual orientation. One of the larger studies basically showed close to zero correlation.

ofrosetti and Blast like this.
  5. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Digit ratios do not determine sexuality, so don’t stress about it. Your future partners are not going to get rulers out to confirm you actually like them. Concentrate more on what you will be doing with those digits....no-one cares if one finger is longer than the other :wink:.

ofrosetti likes this.
  6. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your fingers aren't your sexuality. Sexuality is more fundamental than that. If you like boys and girls and feel comfortable calling yourself bisexual I think that's fine.

ofrosetti likes this.
  7. 18jack1999

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well you're bisexual so that explains it doesn't it?

I got to say though I was born female but I like men and I have a very low ratio. So it doesn't always determine sexuality. I think it means influenced by androgen which I already know because I am very tomboyish in fact I never considered my sexuality straight. Just straight appearing

ofrosetti likes this.