1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stalled sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 21zephyr, Apr 25, 2018.

1. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I partially came out 6 months ago, and it went OK (Well, I did have a bit of a suicide attempt). Now I find myself not meeting anyone gay and finding someone is beginning to feel like a fantasy.

Time passes so quickly and I feel work consumes me leaving not much time to explore my sexuality.

At 52 my biological click is ticking. What advice do you have or what have you done to find companionship?

I live in the rural Midwest so gay people or gay support groups aren’t readily available. Are Pride events good places to meet people? I doubt hookup apps are a route for me, either.

I’m a little shy and my self esteem is a bit lacking, but I’m not a total loser. My career is good and my looks are average, but I worry nobody notices me. Guess I’m looking for encouragement or ideas. I don’t want to become desperate... at first I just wanted companionship, but now I just want my first gay kiss.

HDIGH likes this.
  2. HDIGH

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about advice since I find myself in a similar boat as you, but hope you'll accept some words of encouragement. I think coming out later in life leaves us feeling like we've missed out on things and maybe a little desperate to try and "catch up". Some of the best advice I've been given is try not to dwell on the past too much, we can't change it, and it can make us miss what we have now. I hope you find that someone for you. I agree on the dating/hookup sites but maybe theres a local PRIDE or support group near you that has a page. I'm going to my 1st PRIDE event in June, not looking for a hookup but to hopefully understand myself and my place in this community a little better. Maybe the same will work for you? Good luck and don't sell yourself short. :slight_smile:

21zephyr likes this.
  3. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your kind words of encouragement!! My goal is to go to Toronto Pride, but I worry I will be overwhelmed by the crowd and I’ll just stay in my room. I know once I meet a few people it will be fine, I just need to break the ice. The nearest support group is 4 hours away- I just need to start making some positive network connections.

4. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pride events are awesome but lots of people but just go to one and take it all in and just experience it like any other event rather than an event to come out or meet guys - if that makes sense.
    It is hard in rural or small towns. Dating apps might work just to find guys to talk to rather than date.