1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should I let go of a friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nightlight, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know if it's just in my head--I'm always the initiator, and her second or third option. (Well I'm always the second option for everyone) She contacted me only when she needed me (ex. borrow my PC when hers was broken) Since she's the one who cut off first, maybe it's time to let go.

It feels like a breakup. I knew this was coming, given her calculating personality. I feel like it's not worth contacting her anymore but I do miss her.

Man she was so cute...I had a small crush on her...haha

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey nightlight, I recently had to break it off with a friend too. Even when you know you should be treated better, it's always hard letting go of someone you share fond memories with.

Kudos to you for recognizing your worth, and letting go her. There's so many people who would be glad to be your friend, and would hold you as a priority. You deserve to be a priority!

Kyrielles likes this.
  3. lazybear03

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't let go too early. Stick it out and see how it goes. If it was me, I wouldn't cut it off. It could turn out to be a wonderful friendship.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read somewhere that friendships which last for seven years will probably last a lifetime. While the number is not set in stone, it does mean many friendships we have are temporary in the long run. That's not a bad thing per se if you can become at least friendly acquaintances. Also, I would say that if she's the same as age as you, 19 is a time when many people are making a big transition in terms of friendships as they leave grade school and go to work or higher education.

What you can do is remember the positive aspects of your friendship and try to find more friends who are willing to talk with you without getting some reward. You might look for groups that share similar interests or even try new hobbies/activities. Also, may be some years from now, you'll be able to reconnect with this former friend. I've had that happen many times with old school friends, but I will say they were generally just always nice to me (not reaching out when they wanted help).