1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of HIV afternoon recent hookup

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Spiffy33, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Spiffy33

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi everyone,

I’m always losing my mind and freaking out about HIV anytime I hook up with a guy and this time is no different. I really think I have some form of OCD with this as it is debilitating and I can’t focus on my job and I thjnk my life is over. I’m also living in China and if I ever tested positive I would lose my job :frowning2:

I recently hooked up with this guy that I know and we just fooled around. First time we mutually came on each other, and I did have surgery recently so I had some stitches on my stomach but to my knowledge I don’t think I got semen on them, and they weren’t bleeding, but I keep thinking about “what if they were etc.”

The second time he came on my ass after fingering me and eating me out, and there is no risk there is there? Like is it possible some semen got in my anus? I think it just got on my butt crack but I’m really not sure.

Also I did give him oral and later the gum in between my front teeth was bleeding a little bit. He didn’t cum in my mouth, but what about pre-cum? Would that be enough?

Also, he did get tested last month, and came back negative. What are the odds that he is maybe positive now, if he had sex before that 3 month window?

I release the odds of HIV contraction are low, but I’m still constantly thinking about it and losing my mind. I’m so afraid.

I’m afraid to keep looking online to find answers because it makes my anxiety worse, but I don’t know what else to do. I’m slowly going insane I think. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What is my risk level? What is the best thing to do? How can I handle my anxiety about this?

Please, I would really appreciate any sort of help :frowning2:

2. Spiffy33

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also we never did have insertive anal sex either way.

3. smurf

It definitely sounds like you could use the help of a therapist who can give you some coping skills for your fears.

All the sex acts that you described are low-risk for HIV so you should be fine. HIV virus dies fairly quickly, withing minutes, once it gets out of the body. So in if someone comes on you and then somehow the cum gets in you, the chances of there being enough virus alive by that point is null. You have nothing to worry about.

Same thing with your gums bleeding a little. While it brings up the risk some, as far as HIV goes is pretty much impossible to get HIV through oral sex and there hasn't been an incident reported yet.

I would definitely not do any anal sex until you are able to deal with your anxiety about getting HIV though. Keep it to what you are doing already.

Perhaps your anxiety is enough for you to go on Prep if nothing else works? Prep will prevent you from getting HIV if taken consistently.

4. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Since I'm not you I can be objective. That stuff you described doing was low risk. And on top of that the guy probably wasn't HIV+ anyway.

If it had been me writing what you wrote and you replying to me then you'd have been able to be objective with me. And you'd have probably replied to me as I did to you.

Tightrope likes this.
  5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the second thread you have created on this forum about anxiety relating to STI's, so you probably should think about talking to a therapist to overcome some of your fears. Most of the things you described are low risk, but you seem to be over-emphasising risk in your mind.

Also, you say you are living in China, but your profile location says the United States. Are you living in China long term?

Tightrope likes this.
  6. Spiffy33

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the responses. I am feeling better and trying to let myself realize that these are panic, irrational thoughts in my head and have no basis in reality.

I do think I need a therapist, but I will be in China for the next couple years and mental health is severely lacking here, and especially one that would be sensitive to LGBT issues, so I am a little afraid of trying to find one. I've been mostly relying on friends and reading online (which i recognize the second one is very unhealthy).

I've been looking up ways to handle anxiety, but not sure how to get medication here, if that is what I need. I've always been a very anxious person, and this is one of my triggers I think.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OP, I know how this goes. I am with you. The low risk activity can still trigger all sorts of fears. Call it whatever - shame, guilt, survivor guilt, anxiety, but I think it's about the possibility and people who overanalyze things will do this to themselves. The possibility is extremely low, almost to the point that you shouldn't even worry, and you will need to get a handle on the anxiety if you are going to be sexually active, as many people are. I understand what you are saying - different places handle LGBT issues differently and, even though therapy might be good, everyone has to be cautious when selecting a therapist, even in the U.S. I currently have one I like, but that's here. Is it possible to test anonymously over there? I believe that a lot of places in the U.S. that offered anonymous testing have now switched over to confidential testing. I don't understand why this happened and I don't support this change. Anonymous testing was probably less stressful for people, as if the stress isn't already high to begin with.

Richard321 likes this.
  8. Spiffy33

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's my major problem is that take the worst possible outcome of a situation and make it seem like an eventuality, like it WILL happen to me. I find that my anxiety and thinking about this possibility is crippling in some aspects and I'm not taking care of myself because I feel dirty or bad now :frowning2: I've been talking to friends and such about it and they tell me all of the things that you all are, but still my mind is always going 100 miles a minute about it.

I realize that it is just the anxiety talking, where anxiety makes you feel like you can't escape from something, and depression keeps you

Richard321 likes this.
  9. Spiffy33

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    from thinking there is a way out.

Like I realize he is most likely clean, we were safe, and I will look back on this and see how crazy this line of thinking is. But it just feels so real and I feel so lost.

I am emailing a therapist today after looking, and there really are very few options in Shanghai...

Richard321 likes this.
  10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am also terrified of STI’s and HIV. I just don’t want it. The most I can do for myself is wear a condom and get tested frequently. I’m considering PrEP as well. In any case, there are resources to help and educate yourself behind STI/HIV. If you did catch something, a lot of of them are treatable (not all curable, but it’s not a death sentence).

I also have anxiety, so I know very well where you’re coming from. Deep breathing and distractions help to momentarily lower your stress levels, so I recommend that.

Richard321 likes this.
  11. smurf

Yep, anxiety feels real as fuck. Its like an optical illusion; even if you know the trick your eyes will still be fooled into seeing it. \

So yeah, keep trying to get a therapist. They will give you ways to cope with the anxiety and calm your brain down. One of the ways is getting reassurance from other people. Is there a friend you trust who can be there for you when you get anxiety?

12. Spiffy33

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have a therapist I am going to start seeing in Friday. I am really nervous about seeing her and I have never really been to a proper therapist before. I'm afraid that all of my fears and the things I am worried about will seem odd or strange to her and she really will not know what's going on. I'm going to try and write down like bullet points or things that I want to talk about but I am still worried about not having enough time or that anything will start to change on the first day. I'm just really tired of fighting and existing how I am. I'm just not happy.

Any advice on what I should tell her? I feel like I am just going to ramble and need to be concise.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the bullet point idea is a good one. Don't worry about rambling... a lot of people do that in their first sessions. I'd just focus on talking about the anxiety, since that seems to be the major issue here.

14. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well done. Therapy is a process. Don't expect to accomplish everything all in one session. Don't worry about telling what your issues are. The worst thing you can do would be to hold things back. I'm sure that therapists hear all sorts. And they are there to help.

#14 Richard321, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  15. Isaacsolomon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Many things to say. First, I'm glad you're seeing a therapist. I see one, who's excellent and good for me. When it works well therapy's amazing.

As for your story, it's like I'm seeing my own experience written down, Spiffy33. I have depression, meaning I'm very anxious (and my thoughts are sometimes intrusive, though no OCD diagnosis). STIs and HIV terrified me. A few months ago, I had a couple of hookups where I went inside the guy, just for a minute, not even fully, without a condom. Then, a few months later, I decided to get an HIV test WHILE ON HOLIDAY (yeah, I don't recommend that) and because they didn't reply to me I got really afraid and assumed I had HIV. I had to go get a quick test when I was back in London and found I was negative ... but there were three weeks in the middle where I thought I was, where I was reading stuff about it online and being terrified each time I sneezed. I was able to get help for this as well, and discuss it at the clinic I went to.

I know it doesn't solve everything, but anxiety *is* an illusion that feels real, as smurf said. Also, anxiety over HIV is understandable ... most of our 'knowledge' comes from media, TV shows, or films set in the 80s where everyone is sad and people are stuck in hospital beds. This of course affected how I viewed HIV, as well as existing stigma. But being able to speak about it with clinicians helped, though since there's not as much access where you are, just know that you aren't the only one who's felt the way you feel right now.

Well done for posting this, and thanks for reading my little essay.

Richard321 likes this.
  16. Spiffy33

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I’m losing my mind again :frowning2:

I am finally on medication and seeing a therapist, but know I have a sore throat with white bumps and candiasis on the back of my tongue which apparently is a huge warning sign for HIV.

I just took two oral HIV tests and they came back negative, but is this one of those things that is caused by HIV but happens before it is detected? I thought everything I did was low risk but this is too much of a coincidence and I feel like I am doomed. My therapist isn’t answering me and I’m losing my mind.

What should I be thinking or doing at this moment?

Brian

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." This applies here. Yes, HIV can have those symptoms, but so can a simple sore throat. It's been almost a month since the encounter you describe, so the tests would likely show positive, especially if you're having symptoms that your body is fighting something... this indicates the body is showing a reaction to whatever (non-HIV) infection your body is fighting off.

So the likelihood you have HIV, based on what you describe, is pretty close to zero. You have two test results that say that. Take a breath and believe the tests.

18. Spiffy33

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I thought that tests only showed positive once you hit three months? And there has been some oral stuff later that was intense and my throat hurt a little bit after that. Maybe that’s where it came from?

I’m just worried that this is like acute HIV where it doesn’t show up on tests but will give me symptoms? Especially the throat thing?

19. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are becoming a little hysterical about this issue and need to take a step back and calm down. If you jump to the conclusion that you are HIV+ every time you have symptoms of illness you will have a very stressful life. I'm not saying this so bluntly to be unkind, but there is a need for frankness because you are putting your mental wellbeing at real risk if you continue like this. You are not "doomed" and need to have confidence in the results of the two tests you have taken - both of which came back negative.

What should you be doing at this moment? You should take medication for the throat problem and get on with your life.

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In simple terms, if your body is reacting to something in your throat, that means there are antibodies to whatever it is (which is how the body reacts.)

The reason the at-home tests aren't completely accurate for a couple of months is that they are antibody tests, and it takes time for your body to develop antibodies. Between 85-95% of people develop them within 30 days, so the antibody test is about 85%-95% accurate at 30 days. You can get the more expensive NAT test if you want; it is accurate and reliable at about 17 days. But realistically, I'd place a large wager that you don't have HIV.

However, in your case, we already know that you have antibodies to whatever is going on in your throat, because your body is responding. And we also know that the antibodies aren't HIV, since the HIV antibody test came back negative. Therefore, whatever is going on in your throat is not HIV. Does that make sense?

I also agree entirely with Patrick. If this is an ongoing issue, and if you have these sorts of uncontrolled anxiety about other issues as well, then you should really be seeking help from a therapist, as Patrick is correct that this is going to make for a pretty miserable life for you.

#20 Chip, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018