1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it weird and twisty...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by starmotive, Apr 21, 2018.

1. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it strange that I keep falling back on my best friend for emotional support because I wish she would Be There for me? I know she doesn't like me back but I keep wanting her to comfort me when bad stuff happens, I keep wanting her to be my rock, show that she cares. But I know that she's not the most emotionally available person, and yet I keep doing it and I'm disappointed every time. I know she's not that Person for me, but I still love her and wish she would show me even the slightest platonic affection back but she never does and it tears me apart and I hate it but I can't stop myself

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you feel like this person in particular should be your rock? Are there other people in your life who are, or could be, supportive to you in that way? Have you talked with your friend about how you feel about her?

3. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel like they 'should be' my rock, but I want them to be because I feel like they get me more than other people do. I guess I need to find another friend who could be my rock. I've told her how I feel about her, but not the part about wanting her to be supportive towards me.

4. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Perhaps she doesn't want to be that support for you... Perhaps she isn't strong in herself for herself even. She still might care about you though. Find out. Ask how she is coping within herself. If she is coping then it might be that she is oblivious to your situation.

Devil Dave likes this.
  5. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it's something that we should discuss...but I don't think it's fair to ask her for support that is so 'profound' when all we will ever be is friends, if that makes sense?

6. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in this situation myself. Still kind of there, if I'm honest, I haven't been able to shake the feeling that me and this guy would have a really great friendship if he just took a chance on me.

I don't easily open up to people, because I rarely meet people that I want to be honest and vulnerable with. He was the type of person I wanted to be be honest and vulnerable with, but the lack of correspondence from him tells me he's not interested. I found comfort in his presence, but he obviously didn't find much comfort in my presence, otherwise he'd have made more of an effort to keep in touch with me.

And he's not even allowed me the opportunity to explain my feelings to him. I felt all of this loyalty and compassion towards him and I wanted to express these feelings and for us to share things with each other, and it didn't mean anything to him. I'm still adjusting to the fact that my feelings were never reciprocated. It's a hard thing to let go of.

starmotive likes this.
  7. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    On the other hand, if she is one who might be willing to give you support, then her being a friend, rather than a lover, would make her more objective and there for you. Yes, it is complicated.

8. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That sounds painful. At least you tried. He wasn't ready or willing or maybe not able.