1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1-year break from dating: What should I work on?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cory675, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all,

I've decided to take a break from dating for the next year or so. I'm living in a temporary city for school, after which my goal is to move abroad. Given the importance of this goal, I don't feel this is the right time to find a relationship. Given the reservations that I would have about committing to someone, I don't feel that I'm in the best position to attract the right partner for me at the moment. I believe that next year when I will have moved abroad, I will be more open to date wholeheartedly.

So during this period of transition, I am making great progress career-wise etc., I am exercising, cooking, pursuing my interests, but I feel like I need to do something more to really make this time count. I feel like I should be working on myself on a deeper, more psychological level to make sure that I am in the best position to resume dating with an open heart and attract a healthy partner for the right relationship. I'm just not sure what exactly. I feel like I've done a lot of work already on my self-esteem, communication skills, anxious attachment etc. I'm trying more and more to practice mindfulness. I'd just like to know if there's anything else that I should really work on within myself to be able to attract a healthy partner, go into a relationship for the right reasons and to be a healthy enough partner myself to make it work with the right person.

Any advice, suggested books, practices?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From your post, it sounds like you are doing quite a lot of work on your own interests, activities, and emotional health already - is there something in particular you are looking to build up or benefit from? Where do you think this impression that you need to be doing more to work on yourself comes from?

Also, just a thought - but why exactly is moving abroad in a year a good reason not to be dating at all? What if you met someone who is also planning on moving abroad, maybe even near to where you will be? What if, in online dating, you met someone who is already in the place you'll be moving? Or what if you met someone in two months, the relationship went well, and when it came time to move, they decided they were willing to move with you after a while? Or what if you met someone and decided not to move abroad after all?

All of which is not to say that it is necessarily the perfect time to meet someone for a long term relationship, but if you're already willing to close off a year of your life, you may find you have similar reservations in the future - "I shouldn't date while I'm living abroad because I may move home eventually," and the like.

Ultimately, I would suggest, try to stay open to chances for growth - you never know what life will throw your way.

3. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your reply, Gravity :slight_smile:

I would say :
    1. Because if I'm not dating, this year, then I should still find a way to make this time count, make it a time for growth. I'd like to feel that even though I haven't had practice being in a relationship, that I still have grown enough to become a more solid partner.

2. I haven't always attracted the healthiest partners. I think 2 years ago, I was a bit lost, didn't really know where I was going in life, had a job that bored me to death, and so I looked for happiness in a relationship. I think I attracted a couple guys that I thought I could help in some way, and they both broke my heart. I definitely have much greater direction in my life now (hence, my goal to move abroad next year), better self-esteem as a result, went through therapy etc., and I've learned to make myself happy on my own, and for the most part I succeed. I just want to make sure that when I start dating again, that I'm attracting healthy guys that have done the necessary work on themselves to be committed loving partners.

1. I think that given I will have worked so long and hard to reach that goal, I am psyching myself out with regards to dating. I fear very much having to choose between that goal and another person. I don't want to be heartbroken and I don't want to break anyone else's heart.

2. I tried dating a little this past Fall, and I was never really feeling it with anyone. I met a guy to whom I was very attracted, and we dated for about two months, but then he ended it because he was afraid of commitment. So, if two years ago, I ended up getting into relationships where I was hurt because I was wanting to find love too much, I feel like right now, none of my dating experiences amount to anything because I don't want it enough.

That's why I feel that once I will have accomplished this very important goal of finding a job overseas (and I have no idea where that could be yet), I will be more open to the relationship possibilities that I find.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, first and foremost, if you're not comfortable dating yet, then I certainly wouldn't advise pushing yourself for it before you're ready. All else aside, if you're not enjoying it and not really wanting it, then by all means, don't. :slight_smile:

I'm sorry to hear about the two relationships from a couple years ago. It sounds like these experiences may still be affecting you. Have you talked about them with many people? Either counselors, or friends/family, etc.?

5. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yes, I saw a therapist for a couple months last year and talked at great lengths about these guys and the need to choose safe partners.

I really would like to meet someone. I just don't think I would be able to give up my goal to move abroad if it came to that. And I can't bear the idea of giving up a relationship, being heartbroken again, and also feeling guilty and selfish for leaving a person to pursue my goals.