1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it difficult to fly to America?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SelflessSellout, Apr 20, 2018.

1. SelflessSellout

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in Canada right next to the border. I'm thinking about going there to see a concert sometime this year. The last time I went to America was in 2015 with my family so I don't know if it's gotten harder to enter the U.S.

If you have experience flying into/out of America recently, is it any different than flying anywhere else? I know they have tight security.

P.S I don't know much about flying. Can you land and leave the same day?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey SelflessSellout,

Well you will need a passport or NEXUS card. See this website.

Flying between countries is not too much different than any in-country flights other than the need to show citizenship documentation.

Certainly there is no technical reason that you couldn't fly in and leave on the same day, but, depending on the time of your concert there may not be a flight back to your home available until the next morning.

I hope that helps.:relaxed:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think much has changed since 2015, *unless* you happen to be of ethnic origin from one of the countries that Trump has included in the ban list. Even if you are a Canadian citizen, there are scattered reports of people of color who are from the "banned countries" lists having difficulty entering the US. Other than that, it's usually not a very big deal, especially when flying. Driving across the border can be a crapshoot, depending on the particular border agent you get.

4. starfish

One thing to keep in mind, is that many airports in Canada have customs pre-clearance. So you actually go through customs before you get on your flight. You need to allocate extra time for this, because after you go through customs, you still have to go through security. I recomend two hours, which is the soonest before a flight they’ll let you go through. Sometime the line is quick and other times it can be a long wait.