1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too hard to say it, I need help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Carrie M, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Carrie M

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I identify as a lesbian and I'm finally comfortable with myself- even though it has taken me 2 years.

I've come out to a few of my friends. When I did, we sat there for 2 hours waiting for me to finally get the words out. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm ready to come out to more people now, but I'm scared because of how difficult it was the first time. For some reason, saying the words "I'm gay" is so so scary. But I need to face the fact that I'm going to be coming out for the rest of my life, it's just part of it. And I know I need to start coming out now, because it's going to help me.

I'm so lost and it's starting to really get to me. Any advice??
    Anything is appreciated, thank you xx

2. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is scary to come out. I think generally it gets easier to say the words the more you do it.

3. Caraldo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I agree, a few more times and it might come more comfortably. However, it isn't like you have to tell everyone. Only people who need to know. That number could be small. It's isn't a communicable disease. I think a big part of coming out is really just being yourself without feeling any need to conceal your truth. It doesn't have to mean running around waving a rainbow flag beating a drum....unless that is what you feel the need to. Stay strong.

4. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep just tell those that you want to know.

Caraldo likes this.
  5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about writing it? We can come out in a number of ways and it's not always about sitting people down for a scary deep and meaningful. Send a letter or email to people, post a new message on social media or even send a text message. It's still daunting, but not nearly as bad as telling everyone face to face and it doesn't need to be impersonal. Take a look at some of these: http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php

If I was coming out all over again, I would probably choose to write letters to everyone.

6. undefined

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    How about instead of saying "I'm gay", just say that you're into girls. The other person is likely to say, "Oh, are you gay?" To which you can reply to with "Yes" :slight_smile: Introduce the conversation like "I was thinking of starting dating", or ask them if they are seeing anyone, or interested in anyone etc

I think eventually you'll be able to say that you're gay without any heart palpitations, but until then, this may help.