1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Weeks

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by looking for me, Apr 15, 2018.

1. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i go full time as Sarah in two weeks, my birth name gets retired, and i get to finally be me. im so excited, but nervous as heck. i know i have to do this, especially at this point, but i keep thinking can i? all day every day working not to look like or sound like the person i was for 50 years

New2gquest, Woodswoman, DCSC and 2 others like this.
  2. Violet4

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, Sarah!

It sounds like you are taking an extremely important step soon. I'm happy for you!

It is completely normal and understandable that you feel nervous (and even anxious) about this. I don't think anyone likes to have to constantly pretend to be something they are not, if they feel uncomfortable that way. It's exhausting... You wrote "working not to look like or sound like the person i was for 50 years". Remember that being yourself shouldn't feel like "work" and that, sometimes, you have to be a little selfish and do things for yourself, not for others. Especially when being LGBTQ+ makes normal activities that most people take for granted extra hard. Hopefully this step will help you reach a point where being yourself just feels like the natural thing to do.

If you are excited and if this is something you want, then you already have a motivation. I understand that it might be hard to let go of 50 year old habits, but don't lose sight of your goals and remember that you are not alone.

Stay strong and take care.

New2gquest and looking for me like this.
  3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thank you soo much, the work is going to be losing those habits. i spent a long time and a tonne of effort to build those male habits so i could protect Sarah. now i need to protect myself in the open. bit scary to say the least.

New2gquest likes this.
  4. Violet4

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is scary and it's also unfair that you have to protect yourself for being who you are. There's nothing wrong with you, though. The problem is that the world is full of transphobic, hateful, and uneducated people. I believe it is very slowly getting better though, with new generations being raised to be more accepting.

If there's anything I can help with, let me know. The best of luck to you, Sarah!

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thank you hun. it is getting better, or i'd never be able to do this at all

New2gquest and Violet4 like this.
  6. Caraldo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Good luck Sarah! Though I am not in need of transition, I have lived a life where I felt like I didn't belong, to be absolutely trapped in the wrong gender must be an unbearable weight . Bless you in your proper identity.

7. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Sarah! Though scary, I'm so impressed and proud for you that you've made this decision and are so close to living as your true self! As for habits, don't even worry about trying to conform them to either your new or old self. Just be you, and you may find that a blend of traits and habits suit you naturally. There's nothing wrong with that at all!

I had the HUGE honor of meeting Kristin Beck a few weeks ago. If anyone reading this doesn't know who she is, please look her up. Talk about brave! She is absolutely incredible on so many levels. Imperfect, yes, and she'll admit that sooner than you can point it out lol. But she made me proud to be part of the LGBTQ community, and I think she's helping pave the way for more much-needed visibility and acceptance for trans folks. Sarah, I hope that your experience is positive and I wish you the best!

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thank you. you're the second person to refer to Kristin Beck in reply to my nerves.