1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nonbinary and wanting physical transition but fearing being unattractive

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by EverDeer, Apr 12, 2018.

1. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there, I’m just wondering if this is something anyone else has ever experienced or worried about, and if it’s made them have doubts or held them back from doing what they really needed / wanted at all....

This may sound really contradictory, but I think I worry too much about being physically unattractive to the wrong kind of people (maybe because my self esteem is so low and I’m scared to be myself or something?) because I’m afraid of rejection / not being attractive enough if I were to try and appear the way I wanted to?

For example:
    I’m AFAB, and theoretically I’d get top surgery in a heartbeat if I could easily, because I’d love to have a flat chest.
    But I’m scared to actually consider it because that might make me unattractive to straight guys or lesbians, or people who are already attracted to me just because of my body.
    But.... I think I’m only afraid of this because I’m afraid if I were to get top surgery and just be myself, what if I wasn’t attractive enough for anyone to like me? So then, the people I really love and who are right for me wouldn’t even accept me, so then I’d be out of options, because then even my last-resort wouldn’t like me either. So I can’t give up something that would make it impossible for me to have a last resort, if that makes any sense....

I’m not sure if this even has anything to do with my gender dysphoria, or if it’s just some other form of mental illness or low self esteem rearing it’s ugly head. I have Borderline Personality Disorder, so my fear of abandonment and being alone is pretty strong and basically fuels most of my relationship-based thoughts.

I guess I just fear other’s people’s reactions to me a lot even if I know it would make me personally feel better because I don’t want to be alone. I’d love to go on T but only so I could live more androgynously and be how I see myself, I don’t want to fully transition to live fully passing as male all the time. But I’m scared I’d never be good enough for a gay boy to see me as an equal or be attracted to me. I’ve already dated lesbians in the past too but.... would they stop being interested in me? Where do I fit? Does anyone else worry about this kind of thing? Is this some internal form of bisexual erasure? I’m bi/pan.... but I still understand everyone has a preference.... I guess I’m scared of just being seen as “something else” or “other” that no one can really understand or wrap their mind around and it ruins their ability to have a good time or relate to me....

2. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think what you are describing is common to people who are questioning gender, and who are also bisexual. I have experienced something similar for those reasons. I've often thought I would jump at the chance to body swap into the ideal female body, but then that would create the problem that most women wouldn't want to be with me. However by not transitioning I can find a woman, but she might not accept how much I question my gender or my sexuality.

Being trans, and bi is tough but you aren't alone. I understand what you are saying all too well.

As for your fear of abandonment, where do you think that came from? What's happened in your life that has led you to think that?

EverDeer likes this.
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest for me sexyiality/dating/relationships is a large argument not to transition. The idea is there, because I want to seem male at least at times and/or at least partially, however, my feminine features of body are what is attractive to most men and they also offer an easy route to baby making, which I care about. Also, if I wanted to date a woman, it's not like... I have to be a man to date a woman, women have shown me plenty of attention regardless, here are really lots of women whonare bi out there and willing to date a girl even if lesbians are not all that common. This attention from both sexes is also not... some people are sedist and push those stupid traditional gender roles, but a lot of people are not, espexially if you communicate them clearly who you are, even through gender expression - many people simply go with the flow and don't question the status quo, accept things as they are and don't try to change anything or anyone. I might even not be afraid but... done is better than perfect, right? I might mess something up if I change anything, especially since I dress in men's clothes and stuff, already. Actually, I don't know what I precisely want. But even thinking about it makes me feel scared... Okay, I sound self-contradictory, I should finish here.

EverDeer likes this.
  4. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely understand and can relate. For me, I already start with various body issues and think that people wouldn't even want to stand near me if they had a choice, but then when I add an androgynous gender presentation I just know for sure that I must be so physically offensive that nobody would even want to look at me except for maybe in a "train wreck" scenario. Of course neither of these are completely true, and every once in a while some especially kind soul comments on my stylishness the few times that I get it just right (which oddly enough, almost only ever happens when I am dressed androgynously)

Of course all of this is silly and conflicting for me because I find non-binary gender presentation to be attractive. I don't really do relationships, and mostly I have aesthetic attraction to people, but the rare times where I am like "gosh, if I were to date someone, they sure are good looking" it's almost always someone who is either a fem bodied person with a somewhat masculine presentation / bound chest or top surgery / short hair / men's clothes, or an masc bodied person with a feminine presentation / makeup / long or cute hair / pretty colors / speaks like a woman , or even more someone who you cant tell which direction they're coming from entirely ♥

So I share that for two parts. The first is to point out how hypocritical my own insecurities are. Here I am someone more attracted to gender presentation that matches my own and yet internalized transphobia makes me afraid when I present that way. The other part is, there are people out there who would find you attractive :slight_smile: and we're not all ace, although I personally am.

EverDeer likes this.
  5. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah it’s a weird dichotomy of thought.. the only thing I can think is maybe it’s based partially in growing up and not being able to self-identify easily in the media and our culture due to gender roles and heteronormativity being what’s seen as culturally attractive and whatever else....

Fear of abandonment is one of the core components/symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder, and is often highly pervasive. Borderline itself is partially a genetic condition (basically just a highly sensitive person who feels more depth and for longer than the average individual) who is affected by something environmentally to trigger the inability to regulate these strong emotions. Sometimes this trigger is abuse or neglect, but other times this doesn’t even need to be present for someone to develop this. Something as slight as being invalidated often enough could be enough to traumatize someone who has the genetic disposition to be this highly sensitive.. my body and mind feel things so extremely, I develop trauma-like reactions and triggers to sometimes seemingly mundane and normal events. I remember I used to have complete mental breakdowns when one of my exes would accidentally fall asleep without saying goodnight to be because I was just afraid they weren’t going to talk to me ever again even though we had been dating 3 years. Basically it’s not a fun time, and I’m just used to having to constantly analyze myself for irrational delusions like this so it was one of my first thoughts on the matter....

but for your short answer, just, a lack of close relationship with my parents and others for a lot of my life and continuous emotional neglect/invalidation.... I’m good at maintaining a lot of stable, distanced relationships because that’s what I always had with my parents, but anytime someone gets genuinely close to me it tends to blow up in my face eventually....

Anyway sorry for that, it pretty much didn’t have anything to do with the rest of the post....

Ahh thank you, I actually relate a lot to caring about potentially being a parent / carrying a child as well. I didn’t know if that was like, a stupid / superficial type of concern to have in all this.... my body would resemble that of a mother, but I’m not sure if that’s what I would “be” I guess.... so then I’m just scared other’s will idealize / place that role on me, or I’ll want some aspects of it but who I am will be dismissed I’m the process.... it’s kind of just a passing thought though because I’m not sure if I’d actually be able to carry or handle the stress of childbirth due to other chronic physical health conditions.... but I’m glad to know I’m not alone. Also it’s okay if you sound contradictory, at least then that let’s me know it is similar / we have that in common and it’s not just me being fake or confused or petty or something.

THIS ^ ....I guess it is pretty hypocritical, but there’s always that little part inside of me too that got taught growing up about what’s attractive of men and women and what’s ideal in a relationship even if that’s not how I feel or experience it.... it’s crazy how deeply strong that feeling can be. It’s like.... I inherently see everyone else as way more valid than me, and I hang on really hard to anytime I was ever slighted or anyone dismissed my gender or told me I wasn’t actually nonbinary or whatever.... I totally see other nonbinary people being successful and attractive in relationships and just in general but not myself. I guess I need to work on realizing that it doesn’t have to just be a fantasy or an “unrealistic” way to live because there’s a lot of other people who live openly this way too and I can be one of them.

KayNB likes this.
  6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, confusion around those topics is common. Just take a look around the forum :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: People are just not cookie cutters, actually quite the opposite in my opinion, random "clusters", moisaics of traits that may or may not go well and make sense together. And it's natural to have contradictory thoughts and feelings on things.

What I meant that it's bad that I sound this way is that my post might look not thought through - I usually write a post spontainously and then organise it into paragraphs and remove any logical inconsistencies, redundant/repetitive sentences, phrases etc. so that the messgae is clear. Do you know what I mean?

There are as many types of motherhood as there are mothers. You don't have to fall into any pattern and of course you will not be dismissed in the process... unless you surround yourself with people who dismiss you just in general. Although it's hard from what I've heard, there are stories about social pressure on many strong irrational things in parenting, especially when you parent a little child...

I don't think I've met anyone who's had problems with non-binary gender. I'm not... hiding with it. I tell people about it.

EverDeer likes this.
  7. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if you consider yourself non-binary, or somewhere in between, then can't you identify at least partly with everyone? For example, I can identify with masculine and feminine things. I don't need them to both be present in an amount exactly proportional to me. So maybe most representations aren't exactly like me, but then no one is. Granted, seeing someone almost exactly like yourself is nice, but I think if you open yourself up more you'll find that there is more out there to identify with than you think.

Have you ever talked to anyone about these abandonment issues? You are quickly jumping from someone showing you a tiny bit of disrespect to the extreme that they want nothing to do with you. Well, what if that was the case? What if someone you are in a relationship with didn't answer their phone one night, and then you never heard from them again. What would you do? Would you feel angry? Sad?

Why do you think being alone is such a traumatic idea? Does people leaving you say more about you or them?

#7 SkyWinter, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  8. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That’s true, I do identify in part with a lot of things, thank you for reminding me it’s not so black and white. I just often worry others will try and in me into black and white roles and then maybe I’ll get confused or insecure myself.

That’s also true, I guess I do have a tendency to assume the worst out of very small or often unintentional reactions. It’s hard to determine the difference between something that’s intentionally abusive / gaslighting / passive aggression, and just the accidental or unintentional tone of someone’s voice, because it all feels the same and very extreme to me. It’s rather difficult to explain a personality disorder because it literally affects my entire personality and how I form relationships. But I agree I should probably give those who haven’t talked to me much before but are still trying to the benefit of the doubt before just assuming or fearing they’re trying to harass me.

If someone you were emotionally close to for months and dating just ghosted you like that wouldn’t you consider that abuse and be rather hurt and distrustful for some time at the very least? I would, but on the contrary i’d probably also feel emotionally like they had killed themselves, and I’d probably dissociate and self harm and have panic attacks, and immediately need to become dependent on other friends until I recovered (I had paranoid delusions / near psychosis during my last breakup). I often need outside sources of stimulation or to feel other people’s emotions in order to emotionally regulate myself properly. Again, I’m not really sure how to rationalize this in a way you’ll understand because I’m aware it’s irrational, but it’s literally just what the disorder is.

9. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah no worries I understood what you meant in the first message! It seemed thought out you were just also being honest about how you felt which is nice....

Also yeah sometimes I think I do just tend to get wrapped up in labels and worrying about what others might consider one label, but I don’t see that, etc.....

Mihael likes this.
  10. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can understand. I have been thinking about this for a little bit, as when I do medically transition, I feel like gay males wouldn't want to date me due to having a female body, and straight women wouldn't date me for the same reason. Also, with straight men, since I would look like a male, then I assume that they wouldn't want to date me, as well as lesbian women. This is just my view, I'm not saying it's true at all.

I have been watching some trans* YouTubers, and the comments are awful. People were saying that by not identifying that you are trans* is lying to them because they like them for the parts and how people perceive you. I know some people wouldn't care, but I feel that this is awful that there are people like this out there.

In my mind, how you see yourself is the most important, and if someone won't date you because of this, then they aren't worth your time. You will find someone who will understand. There are so many people in this world.

I wish you the best.

EverDeer likes this.
  11. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, here's the problem. Someone who is intentionally being abusive is more than likely going to try and cover it up. Because why would an abusive person admit they were being abusive while being abusive? That would end the game, or be a source of conflict for them as their actions and thoughts wouldn't be in line. So if someone is angry because they had a bad day, and they snapped at you in their anger, that might not be so bad as at least in part they are vulnerable enough to be angry around you even if it means a little spills out onto you. On the other hand if someone is angry at you for something you did because it's not how they want you to behave, in other words they are trying to control you, then that's different. That's what you have to watch out for. Genuine emotion, versus an attempt at controlling you. So ask yourself if someone isn't talking to you, are they just in a bad mood because their life sucks, or are they trying to control you? Note, it could be both at the same time, and if that's the case you can somewhat overlook the actual pain for the controlling behavior as even though they are in pain it's still not right to control you. Also note if you have actually done something to hurt them then them trying to control the situation might be justified. It's not right to be a jerk to people in a relationship and then claim that they are being manipulative because they then try to curb your behavior.

If someone just takes off on you, how much could they have really cared for you? It's like a stranger on the street walks past you and you never see them again. Are you hurt by that? Well, no. Why would you be? So someone who just up and takes off is in some way a stranger to you. The reason why you feel upset is because you think they aren't a stranger. You've convinced yourself that they are something more than they are. I can remember people in my life who took off on me and I look back and realize that they were never really my friends. I convinced myself that they were. So I upset myself.

Mihael likes this.
  12. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand this, however the problem is also not entirely that I become dependent on the wrong people and therefore can’t tell the difference, but rather the disorder makes me lack emotional permanence. In a sense.... even those who are close to me and I have a healthy relationship with I will eventually forget the emotional weight / permanence of that, or if they do something accidentally mean to me and it’s on a bad day, I may enter a paranoid state and forget how close we were before. Essentially I’m always on the edge of thinking almost everyone is a stranger to me, and that’s why I cling so hard to those who I’m aware have been there for longer, even if they’re not good, because I can’t always remember and compare that experience to someone else who is good. I lack emotional permanence and all experiences feel like they have the same emotional weight to me (usually pretty extreme) so it’s sometimes very hard to weigh different situations against each other in a quantitative way (but mostly this only applies to those I’m close to... strangers and not close friends I can judge more objectively because my own feelings aren’t attached to them.) I’m highly empathetic and can read and adapt well, just once my own attachment is involved the more likely I am to become delusional. Maybe this stems from not having proper emotional attachment to parents as a child, but I don’t know. It’s kind of inherently self destructive in that way, I can’t function without being close to people, but the closer I get to someone the more likely I am to start falling apart myself. Again I just hope you understand this isn’t voluntary on my part.

13. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you I really appreciate it <3

14. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Emotional issues are the worst...

EverDeer likes this.
  15. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In other news, I think once I’m set up with a regular therapist and back on medication and more stable (I’m also planning on trying to move out with some friends + my partner soon) after all that maybe I’ll actually start seriously considering my name change and HrT or something. I’m not ready for it right now, but being open about this finally has made me realize that I guess it can be something that I’m capable of doing in my life.

16. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can't be completely losing your sense of people, otherwise you wouldn't be able to talk about it like you are. You can clearly remember what is happening. It sounds to me like the problem becomes when you start becoming attached to someone as you have a tremendous fear of being alone. Have you ever talked to anyone about this before? What's the longest amount of time you've gone where you were completely on your own?

17. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I was completely losing my sense of people, I would have dissociative identity disorder, or dementia or something, which I don’t, which is very black and white and not how these disorders work. But I do lose myself enough to become borderline psychotic, and dissociate enough to severely hurt myself and those around me. Isolation is not something I can just “practice” and get better at due to this. The fear of abandonment is not the root of the disorder (like PTSD or something), but rather a symptom of it. I’m working on finding a therapist who is capable of handling me as I stated above, thanks.

#17 EverDeer, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  18. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Contrary to popular belief, those who experience breaks from reality (bipolar, schizophrenic, psychotic, paranoid, even PTSD etc.) can develop awareness to their triggers to when they may be about to enter such a state. To imply that they must be completely negligent to their own behaviors in order to be bad enough only continues to perpetuate the stereotype that those with delusional disorders can’t be trusted to take care of themselves and are incapable of being held accountable for their actions, when that just simply isn’t the case. You can have self awareness to how you will react, but be incapable of reading reality once you enter such a state. And the lines between them are not so black and white usually.

19. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think SkyWinter was looking to reassure you, Kipper.

In my experience, hmmm... but keep in mind, I'm no psychotherapist, just someone who has issues that need therapy and I'm speaking from my own experience. So... I think it looks like your issue is around the attatchement and forming close relationships, and you simply need to work your feelings through. With which... therapy does help. But supportive people around you too :slight_smile:

So coming back to this discussion, I think SkyWinter was trying to say that you don't have to fear so much being alone, because it's not as bad and you can remind yourself about this in those moments when you start to feel the fear and feel less afraid this way, because you will remember how it felt to be alone and it's not as bad.

To be honest, the rational attitude you're taking might be inhibiting your healing. My emotions also "explode" at times, but in a different way, I don't get paranoid or whatnot, just hmmm... very emotional. What contributes to such states is being overly rational and self-controlling all the time. The emotions go unacknowledged and they gather and gather and gather... and then their weight breaks all the mechanisms that held them in place and bam! Breaks go poof and I do something really stupid. That being said, it happens a lot less since I started to work on not repressing my feelings all the time this way. So when you're not having one of those states you have, try to get in touch with your feelings in a civil manner. It will be hard in the beginning, but will become easier with practice and you will be able to access your feelings e.g. about attatchment and do like SkyWinter suggests.

EverDeer likes this.
  20. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, to be honest I think that makes a lot more sense that way, thank you. I agree, I suppose it’s equally bad to try and overly-rationalize feelings as opposed to just being honest about them but without over-analyzing them or letting them escalate to the point where they end up just becoming destructive because of an inability to relay them regularly and calmly. It’s difficult to do this in unsafe / invalidating environments where you’re forced to explain yourself and then judged on if it’s worthy or rational enough; thank you though.