1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I found out a friend self harms.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Nila67, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Nila67

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I found out that one of my friends self harms. She insisted that help was unnecessary and that she had everything under control. I, of course, didn't believe her one bit. She also told me not to tell anyone, not even a teacher, under the threat of not being my friend anymore. Despite that, I desperately want to help her because i love her, but she can't see that. I told another friend who knows how to deal with these topics and she strongly said that we had to tell a teacher. We ended up shortly describing the situation to a really nice teacher who's also a psychologist. She calmed us and reassured us that she was going to try and help her. She told us that going to tell our class counselor about it to talk to our friend. This friend and I keep trying to reassure ourselves that what we did is the right thing, but we can't help to feel guilty about betraying the trust of our friend. She still doesn't know that we told a teacher. I need to know if what we did was the right thing to do.

Ruby Dragon likes this.
  2. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You did the right thing. Your friend's health is more important than her asking you not to tell people.

You're a good friend for doing this by the way. Even if she gets mad at you for it, better for her to be mad than dead.

Destin, Ruby Dragon and idsm like this.
  3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did the right thing, definitely! And I agree, you're a very good friend for caring so much about her wellbeing. I hope she can find it in her heart to forgive you for telling a teacher

Destin likes this.
  4. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the others...I've been very stressed and kinda emotionless recently, and about a week ago I turned to self harm, and I am so glad I told my friend and she told her mom so she could help me...I don't know if I would still be alive today if she hadn't interfered. Good on you for telling someone

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey I have a friend who selfed harmed for years but doesn't anymore (thank god) and I do remember I told the counselor and I knew she would be mad at me but honestly I know deep down it was the right thing to do. Yes she had to go to the counselors everyday after that but I know deep down that's what she needed.

6. Nila67

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you everyone for answering, it really helps to call myself down knowing that I did the best I could.

7. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to do that. You did the right thing and the caring thing as her friend and that's the most important thing here, even if she doesn't see it yet.