1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this actually happen?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A common trope in teenage soaps/dramas and sitcoms (in general) is two women going to a party/the prom/formal event, and they are both wearing the same dress, one of them usually acts jealous for instance; "OMG Is that *insert character here* she's...wearing the same thing as me, clearly she's trying to put me to shame/ pull off that look better than me and show me up as a fool, how dare she?"

Then the two women argue, one of them might throw punch on that person's dress/in the other's face.

I have to wonder how much this actually happens, since it seems to happen a lot in TV shows (yes, I realise they are often exaggerated for entertainment purposes), but I have yet to see people fight over wearing the same outfit in real life. Have you ever witnessed this happen? :shrug:

#1 Canterpiece, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't usually tend dances but when I do attend such events usually peoples choices in fashion are different. Ive yet to see two woman get so upset with one another over clothing that this does occur. Im sure that this has and does happen from time to time but usually no this does not happen. Peoples outfits can look similar but they usually aren't the same. Honestly no one really cares what you wear.

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've actually seen this happen in high school, not at a formal event though. Two girls showed up to a party wearing the same clothes... and one of them had recently stolen the other ones boyfriend so they both thought it was done on purpose. They straight up beat the crap out of each other, a full on 'hold my earrings' type of beatdown. The boyfriend didn't separate them either - he was really enjoying it actually.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen actual people (in their 30s and 40s) where this happens at fancy dinner parties. Two different reactions: Sometimes, they just laugh it off and say "Well, we both have good taste" and other times one or both of them get butthurt about it. I've never understood why people would get butthurt, but then, I've never been big on fashion.

So I think it does really happen. But probably doesn't often turn into catfights.

5. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don’t have much experience with parties, but with normal clothes I’ve actually seen it pretty often. I participate in a lot of events on campus and am in some honor societies so I share shirts with people and have found myself accidentally twinning with people when we show up for class.

The other day my roommate and I actually ended up wearing the same exact shirt. So...it does happen.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never seen it happen in my personal life. If I see someone wearing the same outfit, I just praise them for having good taste.

7. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can't say I can recall it ever happening to me, be it me personally or seeing someone I knew having it happen to them.

8. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the many jobs that I had involved meeting all sorts of people throughout the country.
    If some of them were portrayed accurately on TV no one would believe the characters. Every thing from the lady in the crumbling castle that used words like 'spiffing' and 'rather' to the village idiot/drunk that was known to urinate on tourist that didn't buy him drink.
    Generally truth is stranger than fiction. So things like that probably do happen.