1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you weren't gender non-conformists as kids?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SkyWinter, Apr 7, 2018.

1. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suspect most of the people here are either gender non-conformists or are transgender. Is there anyone here who was the opposite? In other words, you wouldn't play with the opposite sex toys at all, or had no interest in them at all?

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I kinda did both as a kid. My best friend was a girl and I played with her dolls and her toy kitchen setup. I also had pro wrestling figures (as well as figures that weren't wrestlers, but I used as wrestlers).

3. Lalaith

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was very happy as a boy and playing exclusively with toys for boys, especially cars, and didn't have any conflicts with boy's clothes. I never felt interested in the feminine world until I was 11 and saw Sailor Moon for the first time. I still remember watching the transformation sequence and realizing that I didn't only was attracted to sailor moon, I wanted to be sailor moon.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had no interest in girl toys, clothes, or anything else feminine. My toys were pretty standard 'boy stuff'.

Really young - Lincoln logs, Thomas the tank engine, toy soldiers, pretending to be a doctor and healing stuffed animals.

Elementary school - Star Wars action figures, hot wheels racing sets, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh games and trading cards.

Middle and High school - video games, paintball with friends, sports stuff, racing go-karts.

5. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always acted according to the male stereotype, since it felt natural for me, and still does. So as a kid I played with cars, built lego castles (I loved lego), worn boy clothes etc. I never felt any desire to play with dolls or wear girl clothes. Now near the end of High school I still fit the guy stereotype, except that I don't like team sports (except for laser tag and paintball, if you consider them as sports lol).

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A bit of both. Pokemon, other video games, bugs, girly toy things etcc

7. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why would you suspect that most people here are gender non-conformists?

I don't think I had anything particularly gendered in terms of toys as a child, but I didn't really have anything childish either other than lego (debatable). Anthing I had was pretty gender neutral and adult - musical instruments, classic literature, jigsaw puzzles, bikes, early video games. To be honest, I grew up in the 90s and early 00s when there were no computers or internet or decent games and most of the time you just ran around through neighbors gardens and climbed trees with the other kids in the street, whether they were male or female.

Occasionally I would semi-play with my sister's dolls house, but it was always to set up scenes of misery: Barbie and Ken have had a row over their new campervan and Ken has smashed all the plates and teacups over the kitchen floor. He's gone on the roof to calm down, but fallen off and bashed his head on the BBQ grill. There's blood (ketchup) all over the patio and Barbie is knelt by the fluorescent pink camper being sick and unable to see hope in her world that has fallen apart.... THAT sort of thing.

8. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reading this gave me chills...

You certainly had an um...interesting...way of playing as a child. I really hope that wasn't a reflection of your family situation at the time.

9. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Because I've noticed that most gay/lesbian people tend to be gender non-conformists. I've know quite a few lesbians who didn't like having breasts, didn't like typical girl stuff, and gay men who liked women's fashion, acted much more feminine, etc. And obviously the trans crowd, me included, don't fit the mold either.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah. I liked to play with my cousins dolls and most of my friends were girls.

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I was a pretty average boy, played basketball and video games. I liked cooking but I didn't really think of that as gendered in any way--still don't.

12. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I wasn’t raised with any expectations relating to gender or gender roles. So I mostly played with “boy” toys (toy cars, video games, marbles, legos, etc). I grew up as an only child, so I ended up spending a lot of time playing by myself, even around other kids haha. I used to draw, color, watch TV/cartoons, and I loved to read as well. Sometimes I would write & illustrate my own stories. Most of the time I was outside roaming around my grandparents’ orchard, looking for trees to climb, bugs to play with, other random things to play with, etc. I used to like playing near my grandpa’s welding table because my idea of playing wasn’t exactly that I liked to play with toys all the time, but that I liked to discover things. I used to love to scavenge for things by my grandpa & uncle’s work area by the barn...it was like treasure hunting for me haha. I used to like to make or create things as well. I was they type of kid who had a wild imagination, so most of the time I could keep myself entertained with just creating stories in my head. Plus, I grew up around adults (I didnt have any siblings or cousins to do things with, and not many friends either). So I was pretty good at keeping myself busy.

13. Chartmann2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I'm a teen now... that isn't a girl and dosen't want to be, but as a kid my classmates told me I was really girly... I played with Barbies like every day, my Christmas wish list was A Barbie Dream House, and Dresses for my Barbies (I had three girls and a Ken doll), I used to link arms with almost all the girls, when any of my "girlfriends" started signing disney songs I would sign every word to the disney princes songs. I used to pertend I wore dresses by wraping a blanket around me and puffing out my hips and chest (if thats a thing), I also liked to wear nailpolish sometimes (the clear type). I also loved watching my sisters put on there makeup... so yes I was pretty gender nonconforming from pre school to third grade... from there on I wore suits to school and sometimes brought a brief case to school... Ohhh and I love stuff anamils I have at least 60. Now I wear my sisters jeans sometimes because there comfty and I didnt know they were thiers, and like having long eyelashes, wearing women's hoodies and sometimes thire shirts... so yeah.... I think I was... ohh and all my freiends are girls....

#13 Chartmann2, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  14. xxCarsonxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This doesn’t applying to me; I’m an androgyne. :no_mouth:

15. xxCarsonxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *apply

(Can I edit posts?? I’m very new.)

16. Yumette

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I certainly wasn't; I loved my collection of girly, ornate scrap pictures ( glossy pictures? Victorian scraps? ) loved paper dolls ( I often made my own, too, and all the wonderful frilly dresses as well - I adored old fashioned dresses more than anything else as a kid ) was overjoyed to get a doll house for Christmas when I was about eight years old and so forth... I was NOT a terribly active child and wasn't into sports at all, apart from skating on the neighborhood outdoor 'ice rink' during winter time. I was happy to just sit in my room and draw, mostly flowers, cats or princesses with fancy dresses, working on my coloring books, knitting or cross-stitching or writing in my diary. I also read a lot. The books I read weren't adventure books, either. I loved old, classic fairytales or Astrid Lindgren stories. My room was full of girly knick-knac like porcelain figures...

As for more "boyish" toys, I did have marbles and even played with them along with the neighborhood boys occasionally, exchanging them and so forth. I liked marbles because they, too, were pretty to look at so I got a bit of a collection going on. I also quite liked legos, I loved building houses with them. One summer my brother and I, and a couple of the boys from our street got into kites and I do remember how cool it was to fly them. Can you tell we are talking about the late 70s or the very early 80s here?? LOL If only drones had been a thing back then, I'm sure I would have gotten into them, hahah...

The one really gender-non-conforming thing I did was later on when I was eleven years of age an got heavily into table tennis. In fifth grade ( in Northern Europe we are eleven in fifth grade because we don't start school until we turn seven... ) we got a ping pong table in our school recreation center and it was the first time ever I actually really fell in love with a sporting activity. Throughout that year I spent most of my lunch hours and at least an hour nearly every day after school playing with a group of guys, some of them from my class and some from the adjacent class. I was always the only girl among them and God, I loved it! Now that I've realized my gender queerness, and because this realization happened so late in my life, in my mid40s,I've often thought back to that year in 1982-83 and those playing sessions. How I loved being part of the interaction, take part in the kind of playful banter boys are starting to develop around that age, and how I seemingly fit right in and never was shunned from playing because I was a girl. I became quite apt at the game, too! I also developed a huge crush on one of the boys, and we would sometimes stay even a bit longer than the rest and play just the two of us because we both lived so close to the school. Happy memories - I loved thinking of him as my boy friend in both senses of the word though naturally we were too young to actually become an item in a romantic way, haha. Still, it was a nice feeling to have those butterflies in my stomach whenever we were alone :slight_smile:

I became a bit more gender non-conforming as I got into my teens, but as a child, yeah, I was pretty much a girl liking the stuff girls mostly tend to like and left cars and action figures happily to my younger brother.