1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if anyone on here is a writer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bruh, Feb 26, 2018.

1. bruh

bruh Guest

I like to dabble in writing too, but there are times I have trouble... carrying on, I think. like I'll have an idea and flow with it, but then I'll ask myself a question and that flow is shot to shit, leading to me not finishing. any tips?

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really, I write in pieces and skip around the plot line and then have problems connecting the sections together. I have seen some things where you are just supposed to write anything every day even if it doesn't tie into anything else. Or have a word count or page goal a day but none of that seems to work for me.

3. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not actually a professional writer or anything like that, but I like to write short stories (tried something longer few times but never finished), mostly fantasy, sci-fi or crime. Last year I won a writing competition at our school, which kinda encouraged me to keep on writing. I also like to translate my stories from Czech to English and vice versa (if I write them in English), to improve my translating skills (only if I have enough of free time to do so, which I currently don't have).
    I have a weird technique to write the beginning and the end 1st, and then write the rest. It helps me, as I have a set goal towards which I should lead my story. Also before starting writing, I make a list of some characters or situations I want to include, and then characterize them a bit. And if I think of any interesting detail, I immediately write it down as well, so I can use it later and not forget it.

4. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find there's a lot of issues in maintaining any sort of constancy to my writing. Everyone has different writing habits; for example, my sister writes almost every day but scraps most of her work. I write occasionally but, because of that, turn out with slightly better quality (forced writing tends to be bad writing). In the end, our net output is roughly the same. The biggest problem for me is keeping an interest in what I'm writing about.

I think maintaining a word/page count everyday is a bit over the top. Yes, it encourages you to practice, but it also assumes you have the time to write everyday and the effort to want to do it. I don't know how many professional writers do this. Hemingway didn't. That's not to say that this isn't helpful; practice does usually lead to better results.

I tend to plan a lot. I write most things down when I think of them because otherwise I'll forget them (my memory is really quite awful). My sister hardly plans. I think planning too much or planning to little will lead to issues farther down the road. If you plan too little, you'll develop plot holes and contradictions (e.g. reviving a character that was supposed to be dead - and not in a supernatural story). If you plan too much you run the risk of losing interest in what you're writing. The latter was always my problem. So to fix it, I would write my plans far less detailed, still getting the big ideas, but leaving enough room to forget minor things so that, by the time I'd have the chance to write again, I could re-imagine the scene, which would excite me and then I'd want to write it again.

Now these were some general tips for longer pieces of work, so in terms of shorter things, like short stories or poems, my only tip would be to think about what you want to write (I usually start with a theme/meaning and general situation then develop the rest of the story around that) and then start writing it. With shorter pieces it is much more beneficial and practical to write them in one sitting and then revise later. Just know, there is no formula to writing. There are no rules either, and any rules that do exist should expect to be broken.

I'm not entirely sure what your question was, but if you could explain it a little more I could try and offer better advise. Sometimes the best thing to do is go with an idea and see where it takes you. Even if it takes you down the wrong road, you can still manipulate those ideas into something new.

5. Loves books

I used to write sometimes. I stopped because my mother is convinced I will write a bestselling novel no matter how
    much I tell her I won't and prefer reading anyway. If I wrote anything it would be a kids book or a lesbian romance and neither of them would be on any bestseller list. Though on Amazon if your book is cheap but long you'll end up a kindle bestseller for two minutes. I read back over what I wrote when I was young and so far it's 120 A4 pages of complete embarrassment. And so very straight. It was first person and involved a girl running away from home, end up in a house in the woods with 5 other girls and reads kind of gay without knowing I was gay. Until the part where 6 guys show up. It would be a whole different book if I rewrote it. Maybe similar to The Dancing Wolf series but without the huge polyamourous family thing. Maybe a bunch of couples or platonic bed sharing.

6. Chibi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Every chapter or so I like to reread what I've already written, (1) to make sure I'm not contradicting anything I've already written (2) to remember old ideas that I may have forgotten about or come up with new ones

7. SRO

SRO

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think of myself as a writer. I wrote my first poem in fifth grade and used to tell the kid next door I couldn't come out and play because I was writing a book. I never finished any of those but did continue writing, off and on, forever. I've had poems and stories published in different places, have taught writing and have taken lots of writing classes. My first book of poetry came out in 2013. I've done readings and interviews. My first trans stories were published in Our Sorority but they went out of print many years ago. I've been lucky as a writer. It isn't easy for anyone. I totally support writers at any lever, love to read their stuff, love to give/get feedback. Whether it's a practice or an obsession, there isn't any single right way to do it. Yes, word counts and daily writing are important but I don't do it myself. The only thing that matters, in my opinion, is to put words down on paper. It doesn't matter what they are, just put words down. Keep writing and never edit as you go. When you think you're done or have finished a timed writing session, put the thing away for a few days. Don't think about it, just leave it alone and do something else. When you do get back to your piece, then you can start editing. It's easier to take words out then it is to put them in in the first place. I'm happy to read stuff, happy to share stuff. Just keep putting words down. Keep writing!

Susan

8. KinleyMill

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think of myself as one. I write plays, music and poetry. I love writting.

9. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A screenwriting instructor told me once that if you're having trouble moving forward with the plot of a short film to make sure you know how it ends and I've found that it works. At the time I was writing a short film and was totally blocked in the middle of it, even though the very first part came to me very easily. I focused on figuring out the ending and then the middle just appeared!

Hope this helps.

10. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't write stories, but I do write poetry. I last wrote a poem 6 years ago, whilst in a mental clinic. I want to write, but I seem to have long-standing writer's block or something. There's so much inspiration but no motivation. Most of my poems are about heartache, with a lighter-hearted ending. My first psychiatrist actually asked my permission to make a copy of my very first poem to show his other patients who cannot put their feelings into words. It was my best poem yet, also my longest and it holds so much emotion.

I think part of what is holding me back from writing is my one-day time limit I force upon myself. I need to finish my poem the day I start it. So usually, I'd start writing early in the day, to give myself enough time to finish it. But my last few poems were mediocre at best (I keep comparing them to my first, which I should probably stop doing). I want to have my poems published sometime, but I don't have enough yet according to myself. I know I'm just making up excuses but I just don't know if they're good enough to be published.

I've so far written about 8 or 9 poems

11. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trying to be. I spent last year writing a novel which I had started in uni. I've Guthrie go through and editor but then I'm hoping to get it published. I've just started working on another one now.

12. Fyrefox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also have trouble sustaining a longer narrative, and so write mostly flash fiction, which tends to be short, impressionistic pieces. We live in an era of short attention spans, so a short piece can both find a wider audience and present an idea, which in itself can be sufficient.

13. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like to write, but then have flashbacks to my high school English teacher and her f-Ing red pen!!!! My goal is to write a couple of books.. I have ideas, but just haven’t written anything down. My fear is nobody will like them, not even my family. I know I should just write for myself, but that’s not a big motivator.

One thing I’ve learned from this site... people write well, have good ideas and a decent grip on grammar. The gay community should be proud... it seem well-educated. Congratulations to all of you, I’m genuinely impressed!

If any of you publish, share as you couldn’t ask for a more supportive group, and I love to read.

14. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've done much the same. I've been writing a Power Rangers Wrestling fan fiction. Sometimes I am so involved in one storyline, I want to keep writing that one story for several episodes ahead of whichever episode I am writing at the time. I also frequently get stuck and give up. I'm really good at creating characters and some general story lines, but have a hard time really constructing those story lines. My creative specialty, of sorts, is taking things that exist and modify them to my liking.