1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports you wished you did in High School

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ECMember, Apr 6, 2018.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Does anyone regret/wished they participated in sports in high school? I did Cross Country(distance running) and distance track events in high school for about 3 1/2 years? I was somewhat curious doing swimming events, maybe distance swimming events. My high school's swimming team was pretty damn good and won some district and area and regional swimming events, and sent swimmers to the Texas state swimming championship just about every year I attended high school. At the time and even now, I don't know how to swim that well. I didn't envy the guys or girls swimmers in my house, but I was curious about being a swimmer. And watching the Beijing and London and Rio Olympic games with Michael Phelps and the other male swimmer guys got me curious about it. I did like the aspect of wearing the swim jammers if I wear a swimmer because they were cool when I saw some male swimmers at my high school wear them during an outdoors prep rally we had.

I did make some attempts to swim during my last semester in college, I took a beginning swim class. It wasn't a learn to swim class(I had the impress it was), but I still tried either way. I wore two Speedo Jammers to the class and still make an attempt to swim. And still got a B in the class for attendance and effort.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did track mostly too, but tried baseball and soccer also. Plus a little basketball but I was horrible at that.

I wish I would've been able to try the more 'physical' sports like football and lacrosse, but I'm kind of a small guy and would have gotten hurt pretty badly if i did. For football in particular - someone more than twice my weight plus the weight of both their equipment and mine slamming me into the ground wasn't going to end well for me.

#2 Destin, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  3. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The wrestling coach at my high school had suggested one day while I was doing my weight and height for the athletic physical at the end of year I think it was near the end of my freshman year, that I should try out in the 110-115lb class. I never did because there was this asshole guy names Jeremy in that weight class who I was on the Cross Country. He mocked me openly for no reason and he and I had some brief altercations.

I'm sure I could've bulked pretty well and dominated that weight class. But I think Jeremy and I could've had some physical altercations in the Locker room over it.

4. joshco21

joshco21 Guest

I wish I played basketball, but I was such a bad athlete that I knew it was hopeless hahaha

5. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The basketball teams at my high school weren't that great either

6. joshco21

joshco21 Guest

They weren't good at mine either but I was hopeless!

7. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I always wished US schools had more badminton programs :^( I couldn't find a private/independent high school around that had anything other than just tennis, which I like, don't get me wrong, but nothing beats the rush of badminton for me. I tried taking tennis lessons a little and it was okay, but the US really needs to amp up its level of badminton appreciation/participation.

Anyone else have a passion for sport? Are there any gay badminton leagues out there?

8. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i recommend air hockey/foosball if you like sports but aren't athletic

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Played football basketball and baseball in high school. I had a chance to play college baseball but I but I passed up that opportunity and I really regret it!

11. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I never played any sports in high school, but I kind of wish that I had. I was never really athletic or physically coordinated. I did play soccer and softball for a while as a kid, but that was in elementary school, and it was for the city and not the school. I think if I could go back to high school, I would want to play soccer, softball, track, and cross-country.

12. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish I had played tennis in high school. These girls at my school said I was pretty good and that I would most likely easily make the team but I never even tried to join.

13. azzi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like basketball. I dont remember having a women's basketball team in our school back when I was in higschool but if I had the chance, that's the sport that I wanted to play.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did zero sports, and frankly have no real regrets. I was never really into sports, and the only avaialble sports were standard high school sports.

Long after graduating from high school, I went through a few phases of swimming for exercise. I half thought at least once or twice that I might have liked swimming as a sport. I also think I thought that about diving (I was very impressed by a local diving coach and her divers). But...I couldn't have done either in high school--I wasn't able to swim, period, as a teenager, and our school didn't have a team. Past that, I doubt I'd have been very good (I certainly don't have what it takes to be a good diver), and I'm not sure that I'd have had interest long term.

Another point: when I was in high school, the last thing I really liked doing was hanging around the school after hours. When the day officially ended, I wanted to leave as fast as possible. The only exception was in 12th grade, when I'd stay and use the computer lab.

15. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate doing sports at all, with an exception to skating and swimming.I wish I had continued figure skating in high school. After transferring elementary school in gr 7, I did nothing sports related.

16. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was pretty much doomed when it came to anything sporty at my school.

The majority of boys loved either football or basketball, which I hated most, and they hated everything else.

I was showing some skill at hockey, but because the other boys didn't like the game, they wouldn't play properly and start tripping me up with the sticks, so that put me off trying to get any better. When it came to rugby, I enjoyed all the exercises where we were practicing the moves against the pads and stuff, and I think everyone else did, but when it came to playing the actual game, nobody seemed to know what they were doing. Most of the boys didn't like having to touch each other, so we'd be playing this game where you're supposed to run around grabbing and tackling the other guys and everyone was trying to avoid making physical contact as much as possible. And it didn't exactly seem fair to have the skinny little guys playing against bigger guys. I also never understood how you're supposed to throw the ball backwards to your teammates, I don't know, I was very uncoordinated with any physical activity, and still am.

One thing I was remarkably good at was long jump. The teachers pointed out that I always got the perfect landing (knees bent, butt on your heels). Lots of other pupils got it completely wrong. I was totally pissed off when it came to sports day and my friend and I, who were the worst at sports probably in the entire year, got lumbered with running and long jump. I got the running, he got the long jump, and he fucked it up every time. I probably could have won something.

And I've been tempted to take up swimming several times, but I get ear infections very easily when I get water in my ears. So I'm probably going to be that skinny little hypochondriac boy who gets easily discouraged and skives off any sporting activity until I die. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I golfed in middle school. Half of me wished I did in high school but it wasn't offered at school so I would have had to done it privately.

18. Fyrefox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My high school had few sports, and they were ruled by the athletic elite with few if any accommodations made for those who wanted to learn and improve skills. I really wish that soccer had been available in my area, but football ruled with basketball, baseball, and track the only other options, so I remained a band nerd.

Fortunately at university I got into a start-up fencing club, and did rather well due to my unusually long reach...

19. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wished to do many sports in high school, but actually avoided many of them. I'm afraid PE (physical education) was an excuse to kick, shove and verbally abuse the gay kid in a way that went well beyond "sporting"... and guess who was the gay kid?

20. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think I was good enough at any competitive sports to participate in high school. I maybe would have liked to play baseball, although I was somewhat afraid of the ball being thrown at me (the same was true with soccer).