1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, you sweet people!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by TheFox, Apr 2, 2018.

1. TheFox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I already spammed the forum a little bit, but here is an official intro of me. To you. :blush:

I'm 28 female and technically bisexual, but more interested in women, intersex, and a-gander persons. I live in Slovenia. I was looking for a new community online because that one forum we have here is not much active.

I would love to talk to new people, make some friends too go visit and show around in my hometown if it ever comes to that.

I love:
    - sci-fi
    - arts and crafts
    - acroyoga and yoga
    - traveling
    - art history
    - listening to people talk about things they like
    - cuddles
    - and much more.

2. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi and welcome! I’ve enjoyed my time on this forum so far and I hope you enjoy it as well. :slight_smile:
    What do you love about sci-fi? I like sci-fi books and movies that include space exploration/discovery as well as new technology.

3. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, welcome! This is a good place.

4. imawaffle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi there!

I just wanted to burst out and exclaim that the little fox in your avatar is so sweet and adorable!
    I've been wanting to tell you since I've spotted her prancing around the forums :blush:

5. TheFox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, everyone! :blush:

I love the cultural parts os sci-fi the most. And worldbuilding. I studied cultural anthropology and can relate this parts most to what I learned. Space exploration and new technologies are amazing to read, listen to or watch too.

It truly is! :grin:

Thank you! :flushed: Your waffles look delicious!

6. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You bring up a good point. The cultural and worldbuilding parts of sci-fi are interesting and important. If the book/movie/podcast/etc doesn't feel like it has its own world, it distances the reader and makes them feel like they're just watching/reading/listening to something fictional rather than having an experience in that new world.

7. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The Star Treks all managed to achieve all of the above for me. So did StarGate, StarGate Atlantis and StarGate Universe. So too have many a movie. I've come to see the characters in these shows as people, to care about them, to fall in love with a few, to miss and think about them still being out there after last episodes or when the show is cut like in the case of StarGate Universe.

8. Lalaith

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi! I'm new to the forum! I'm just saying hi to everybody in the Welcome lounge but I saw you like sci-fi and I happen to be an aspiring science fiction writer (aspiring and maybe not very good, but it makes a great excuse for a conversation).

9. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why was StarGate Universe ended?! Do you think they made it in that last leap they took? I see them as having made it. It's sad but I've forgotten their names now... I need refreshing.

10. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome, you are in the right place. I mean here in EC, but maybe Slovenia too. I visited Koper and loved it. I speak more Italian than Slovene, but luckily English is widespread.

11. Lalaith

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Unfortunately I'm not into StarGate... I know, being a science fiction fan, shocking xD but I just haven't gotten around to do it

12. TheFox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right! Sometimes I pick up a book and the only thing different is that there are dragons in a middle ages setting. Or aliens in a contemporary/future setting and it just throws me off. That for example is something that would radically change our culture and perception of the world. :alien::dragon_face:

I didn't watch a lot of StarTrack, yet. But StarGate is one of my favorite shows. My first Sci-fi show if you don't count Sailor Moon.:grinning:
    What do you think of StarGate Origins? :no_mouth:

Hi! I'm trying to write sci-fi too. Or write anything at all. So I can relate. :relieved:

Živijo! Koper is nice. :smile: I'm glad you liked it. Did you go to vacation there?

13. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Then I envy you because you still have all the StargaGates SG1, Atlantis and Universe episodes to watch. I've seen them all, and many epis multiple times each.

14. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, TheFox, well I did sign up for the email updates regarding SG Origins, but when it came to it I didn't want to watch prequels. So I'm not gonna watch Origins. I'm still sad and distressed how SG Universe was ended because it was a brilliant series. Are you watching Origins?

15. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    TheFox....Hi!! I have been a SciFi freak since I first read "A Wrinkle in time" when I was in the fourth grade. I love SciFi books, movies, TV shows, etc. One of the best SciFi writers that have really developed a complete "world" for his stories is Peter F. Hamilton. He was the first SF writer that I read who had really looked into the future and created a society that was a very plausible extrapolation of where we are headed today. Then he placed his stories into that society and used the advanced technology in a way that fit seamlessly. The tech in his stories didn't "stick out"...it was so smoothly integrated that you could take it for granted. That was so different as opposed to some writers who focus on the technology at the expense of the story line. The first books of his that I read were "Pandora's Star" (Not like "Pandora" in the movie) and it's sequel Judas Unchained". They were both great. Another of his that I love is "The Great North Road". He has written quite a few really great books. And...oh yeah....There is a forum here on empty closets that you might find interesting. It's title is "Sexual Orientation"..... Check it out! Have a great week!!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#15 quebec, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  16. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When ScifiS is mentioned, most non sci-fi fans seem to immediately think of space travel and the future. And yet sci-fi doesn't have to technically be both or even either - does it? Anyway, I do like sci-fi movies on top of the series I've liked. I like them for the speculation. And i like dystopian movies a lott - the best ones are dystopian aren't they?! So I loved Ex Machina, A.I, Space Odyssie movies, Mission to Mars, Moon - the guy not having been told that he is a clone, District 9, Elysium, Repo Men, the Planet of the Apes movies, the Mad Max movies - I could still watch these again and again. Then there were the ones that were great that I don't need to see again - like Westworld, The Matrix movies, The Terminator movies, Total Recall, i Robot - because I've over watched them already. RoboCop was great at the time but... And i do like the South African theme / influence in more recent movies. And I absolutely loved Chappie - the humour of it, how the guy initially mocked Chappie but came to love him, how Chappie was as alive as us, Chappie himself brought out the best in those others - utterly fantastic. There's ones I intend to see War of the World's, The Martian, the new Westworld - and I know I will like these.

17. amylase

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hi! i guess i'm out of place with my lack of sci-fi love :yum:

but i did see you like art crafts! i love origami and i'm starting a business out of it

(psst nice orwell quote, i like his books :slight_smile:)

18. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm impressed with origami. It must be very rewarding to do.

Who mentioned Orwell? Animal Farm was brilliant. And as for 1984, I only got around to reading it a couple of years ago. And that was fab, too. Now, was 1984 fiction or science fiction? I'd say sci-fi. I found 1984 more relevant for now and the future than it was for back in 1984, though. What do you think?

19. amylase

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's quite peaceful, it's just enough effort to keep your mind busy but not exhausting:slight_smile:

Her signature had an Orwell quote :slight_smile:
    I love Animal Farm too, coincidentally I'm doing a paper on it now! I'd say 1984 if definitely relevant for now, but maybe we're reaching some parallels with Orwell's time and our own, with our metaphoric 'dictators' sort of being media. Brilliant books though :slight_smile:

20. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree.

And regards origami,, do you use patterns to create things? Do you create patterns?