1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you are/were crossdressers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SkyWinter, Mar 23, 2018.

1. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know this is an LGBT site so it's not like asking a bunch of straight people who would be unlikely to admit to this and there are probably way more gender non-conformists here just because it is here, but I'm still curious to hear some stories about this topic. I started when I was around 7 I think. How many of you tried it once then stopped? How many have never done it? How many of you who still do it consider it to not be crossdressing anymore?

If you did it, but stopped, why did you stop?

If you've never done it, why not? This one is interesting because it's hard to get answers from straight people about this topic and I'd like to compare to my own experience.

What about those of you who just see it as your normal clothes now. What changed for you, and how do you feel about it looking back?

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I sort-of do it. I paint my nails pink and carry a purse. I do also on occasion where pink T-shirts (they are technically men's shirts, though). I would like to do more but it is difficult to find women's clothes in my size.

3. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started when I was young but can't remember what age. For me it was purely a sexual thing because I would imagine myself as female during this time and afterwards would feel ashamed by it (as well, I now realise, as losing the desire to dress this way) This is why also on occasions I would stop doing this as well as throwing out items that I had gathered feeling that it was not natural but I would eventually go back to it.

Now I find it is more then just a sexual thing. I still only do it mainly in private although I will dress in a feminine way or wear certain items out. But I seem to find I want to explore that side to me more. I've been experimenting with make up and will sometimes do photoshoots at home. I also imagine what it would be like to be able to go out in public as female.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never done it and never had even the smallest curiosity about trying it.

I mean... why would I want to? There's no reason to try something I have no interest in just for the sake of trying it. I feel comfortable wearing male clothes and having a male hairstyle - It would be extremely uncomfortable trying to wear a dress or a female wig, and I assume they wouldn't even fit anyway since they are made for a different body type.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP: do you consider dressing up in drag as cross dressing? Some would, some wouldn't.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure I'd call it cross dressing, since my goal isn't always to "pass" as a woman, but I'd say at least early teens. I did grow up around women my first two years, and its possible I wore some of mother's clothes then.

My father likes to brag how he made me "talk like a man", so I'd say there's a disconnect between how I see myself and would ideally express, and what's "allowed" by society (or what I'm willing to risk to be seen publicly).

I'd definitely say interactions with the gay male and drag communities helped me become more comfortable with it. That was around the time I joined this site (2013?)

7. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was really young like under 8? I loved to get in my grandmas closet because she had a ton of shoes which I liked to wear around the house. Then my other grandma who never had her ears pierced, had a bunch of clip on earrings which I also loved to wear.
    Later on in my early teens I tried wearing women’s underwear, that was just once and I never did it again after that.
    My early teens is when I realized I wasn’t straight and I forced myself to fit in with the straights.

So I never really cross dressed fully but I guess I was curious.

It’s not something I’m interested in at this point.

8. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose it would depend on the person. If you threw some guy who identified as male his whole life and never had any interest in women's clothing into a drag show where he is made up to appear female, then I would consider that to be him crossdressing. It would just be a more extreme flamboyant end of crossdressing versus if he was attempting to pass with subtle clothing and makeup. However if someone who identified entirely as male wore drag frequently, like a gay guy in a drag show, it might not count as crossdressing as much as them being a habitual gender non-conformist.

9. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was in a drag show once, and am trying to do more cross dressing and potentially more drag shows.

10. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ve never done drag or cross dressing for myself, but I did do a talent show act at a gay camp once - no, twice.

It was really funny that my closest friends didn’t recognize me, and it was also startling to see that I really do have my mother’s eyes! If I do say so myself, I was a dish! *lol* I looked and felt pretty natural and good about it, as a fun experiment.

I was surprised how liberating it really was. Although it doesn’t resonate with me, I definitely get it. I DO NOT “get” high heels, but that’s another story! *lol*

Patrick

11. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So you've never even been curious at all? You've never wondered how you might look dressed like the opposite sex?

By the way this isn't a criticism or anything like that, I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious as I have such an opposite experience from you .

I like heels, just not those super skinny, super high heels. Those are ridiculous. :wink:

You have an interesting perspective . So it's not really something that you connect with on a level other than it was fun? There is no desire to keep doing it?

12. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don’t need to keep doing it. I found that it suited the scenario I was in at the time (a camping retreat talent show) but not my life generally.

Patrick

13. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, no curiosity at all about it and I've never wondered what I'd look like dressed that way.

14. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the response.

Okay. Thanks for the response. I appreciate hearing your perspective.

15. E H Wildflower

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've tried it once or twice, and I feel like it's one of the things that made me realize I was nonbinary. I still occasionally dress to try to make myself look more masculine and often use products that are marketed towards men (deodorant, cologne, hair gel, etc.). In fact, I wish I felt able to do more of that sort of thing, but I don't consider it cross-dressing anymore because I don't identify as female.

16. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was wearing my sister's skirt yesterday, but it was for a different purpose. XD
    I wear make up and all that, but it's just a part of my culture as I'm a happy little goth boy.

17. Caraldo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I started at the age of about 4. My parents were tolerant of this as long as I was in the house. At this early stage I didnt desre to be a girl, but I fantasized about a world where I could dress the way I wanted. While I liked boyish stuff, I also liked girly stuff. Around 9 my parents decided that I was too old to be doing that, so I had to continue in secret. As puberty set in I had a few months where I really felt/wished I was female, but then I began having sex dreams which were always me as a boy with another boy. Dressing did become a sexual fetish for me, in fact I would get turned on by girls who were dressed well. As time went on I struggled with denial, found a butchy gal who liked to do role reversal, we ended up married, and I became more and more comfortable with crossdressing in a limited context, lost all sexual connotations with dressing. When I worked in an office environment I wore light makeup and clear coated my nails, and wore pantyhose and silky underwear, panties at first, but then was able to find mens underwear made of similar materials (have always been fond of nylon and silky things) I haven't done full on drag in years and don't see myself ever doing that again. But, now that I am out, I plan on feminizing my appearance, eyebrows trimmed, earrings, getting my nails done and getting back to makeup. I also will be more adventurous in my attire. Not to look like a woman, not to look good, because I don't have anything to work with, not for shock value...just because I want to feel like me, and I no longer worry if people think I'm a faggot.

18. Aden C

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I started when I was 11 or 12. I didn't do it very often but If i knew I would be home alone for a long period of time and I stopped after 14 because I saw a gay kid getting bullied at school and I viewed what I was doing as gay (before I ever even though I might be gay) and I didn't want to be bullied for something else than what I already got made fun of for. I recently started again, when I turned 18 when I had a friend introduce me to Rupauls Drag Race. I was inspired and started putting on makeup with my girl friends and eventually started buying outfits to match. It started just as drag and and like I would go all out with wigs heels, full makeup and dresses. But now some days I just feel like wearing a dress while I do my homework. Or I'll put on girls underwear for a day. I recently started to feel like I'm genderfluid and I haven't' totally worked through those thoughts yet but its a process. I will say as a kid and when I first started Drag it was very apparent that I was cross dressing and I would look in the mirror and feel silly or like I was playing dress up, but recently I just feel like I am wearing clothes. It's really interesting. I enjoy it a lot. Doing it still gives me joy and it always has. I have even gone out to parties at my college in full drag. Some people actually saw me as a woman and I never felt weird about it. I really think its a good way to explore gender, sexuality, art, and creativity.

19. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I am going to take cross-dressing as wearing clothes made for the opposite sex. Yes I have done before and I do continue to do so. Although it is not very controversial for women to dress in mens clothes, compared to men dressing in womens clothes.

I don't know if its the case in other countries but womens trousers come with very very small pockets, so small that you cannot fit a mobile phone in them without 3/4 of the phone poking out of the top of the pocket. So I have started to buy mens skinny jeans/chinos because I can fit all of my phone in the pocket, I even have space for my keys too :slight_smile: Nobody notices i'm wearing mens trousers unless I tell them, because some mens trousers are that tight these days they can easily pass for womens trousers if you buy a fitted pair.

When I was a teen I did wear men's baggy trousers and shirts, paired with a masculine hairstyle... but I grew out of that.

20. imawaffle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I did when I was a teen, stopped largely out of guilt and fear of being discovered, partly due to shame of not conforming to social norms.

Several years later a spark was reignited, I really wanted to do it again but reality is harsh. I no longer look remotely passable as a female in feminine clothing - a short stint in the military cursed with me broad manly shoulders.
    My joy in crossdressing is derived from appearing like a genuine female, so I won't feel good at all if I don't look the part :disappointed_relieved:

Now I do it in my head.
    You know, imaginary cross-dressing where anyone can dream of themselves looking outright gorgeous :kissing: