1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It’s over..

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Soulstone, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve written something here..
    So long story short - I lost my long time friend to homophobia and it hurts. And what hurts the most is that it’s not the evil society or old school family who did it - it’s her. I really need to talk it out and maybe understand what I did wrong.
    So, with your permission, I will tell the short version of our story. We’ve been friends since school. Once, eight years ago she confessed to me that she has sexual feelings for me. I was shocked at first, but somehow her confession woke something in me and we became more that just friends. I struggled to admit my sexuality back then, but I was willing to deal with whatever it was between us. She on the other hand chose to act as if it all never happened. I decided to focuse on my own stuff and leave her alone. We remained friends, but once, during a party, she came on to me again. Then the next day she again begun to apologize and said we should forget everything. Then I started to notice a pattern..It continued for over 8 years. I don’t know why I kept up with this. I guess on some level I loved her. But recently all this happened again and suddenly I felt that I couldn’t play this game anymore. I told her that I am tired of this situation and that I don’t want to ignore it anymore. I offered to talk about it, but she completely shut me out. Suddenly she didn’t have time for me, she said she has to work and don’t have time for friends. She also said that she feels ashamed about what happened. (Let me remind you, it wasn’t a one time thing, it happened many times over the last eight years).She feels like she failed a test or something and now I remind her of this. So she is so deep in denial or internal homophobia or whatever else it is, what she refuses to even talk about it. So now I have lost her as a friend, because she pushed me away. Although she says she still wants to be my friend, I can’t. I feel like something broke inside me. She made me feel like I’m some kind of shit (excuse my language)in her picture perfect life, like everything that happened between us is something to be ashamed of. I can’t get over that feeling. It’s incredibly sad, because she is still very important to me, but our relationship as I knew it is over.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww soulstone, I'm so sorry that this has happened to you and for the loss of your friend. I can only imagine how much you are hurting right now. It's totally justified to be upset and angry and sad and confused with everything. It's a shame that your friend is so stuck in denial and internalised homophobia to deal with the situation but I'm glad that you have decided that you want and deserve more for yourself. I know it doesn't feel like it right now but I know in the future you are going to look back and see that this was the best thing you ever did for yourself. Hugs.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  3. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, Silverhalo :slight_smile: You always seem to have the right words for everyone.
    I guess this outcome was inevitable, it was just the matter of time. Or maybe I have changed and finally can feel proud of who I am and what I feel. What hurts me the most though is the fact she doesn’t even want to talk about it, to acknowledge it. I don’t ask her to be happy about the fact she is attracted to me, if she clearly doesn’t want to be, but I am her friend and deserve at least a conversation.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha thank you. I think perhaps it is a bit of both.
    Not that it makes it hurt any less but I wouldn't necessarily say she doesn't want to have a conversation I would say it's more like she can't, the way her brain is dealing with her homophobia and denial means she just can't have a proper conversation with you because she would need to be honest and she can't.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  5. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Although your friend, don't continue to let her make you feel like less than you are.

6. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are right again, I’m afraid :slight_smile: I feel that she can’t talk or even think about it. But it makes me feel rejected, I am a only a human after all :slight_smile: I have spent so much time trying to justify her behavior, trying to be patient and understanding. But after this last time it dawned on me that she has never done the same for me. I doubt the thought of how I feel ever crossed her mind. She just thinks of me as something that reminds her of what she doesn’t want to feel or remember. Not I nice feeling - being a donut in fat person’s house :slight_smile: Desired, but unwanted at the same time. No wonder I ended up in the trash.

7. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s exactly how I feel. Guilty for something that is not my fault. I have never took advantage of her, she want es it to happen as much as I did..

8. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A relationship cannot be a one sided affair.

9. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I
    I know..But one person can be more involved than the other. Sometimes we don’t even notice that. Until something happens and you finally understand what is going on. Sad, but at least no one is living in illusions.

10. Ardee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think these issues are more to do with her than you. I've recently been in a similar situation. I'm in love with this girl but she's so afraid. She can't and won't go there and won't explain why. I'm ok with who I am. She isn't. Its best left alone until (if ever) she is ready. Maybe instead of calling it quits with her, explain your position and need for space. And tell her you'll be ready when she is. Unfortunately my girl will most likely never be ready but we can only hope and wait.

11. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for sharing. And for advice. To be honest I don’t really get this not being ready thing..I mean, I understand that it might be difficult to admit who you are and what you want, but in my case she seems to be more than ready to do it, but is not ready to talk about it. And it’s not just once or twice, it’s been going on for years. I can’t even explain things to her, she is not listening. It makes everything much harder, since we have to work together occasionally. I catch her glances, I see what is going on in her head, but it takes at least 3 glasses of wine for her to start to talk. I guess I’m just tired of waiting.
    I hope everything will turn out well with your girl. Would like to hear more about your situation, so if you are willing to share, I’m listening:slight_smile:

12. Ardee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My situation, I fell for my boss last year. It sure did make things interesting especially when she surprisingly started reciprocating things. Like your girl, she'd 'go there' & then back off and then it would start again. This year she has hated me. She wouldn't explain why but has made my work out to not be good enough anymore. I tried to talk to her about her and I- never again. She freaked out and started escalating with the work issues, with a definite under current of something personal going on. I don't work at that job anymore. Who knows what the future holds now. Hope it all works out for you @Soulstone

13. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, sounds way too familiar. Sorry you had to go through it. It’ just not fair.
    Well, in my case she is not my boss per se, but she is in the power position. Some parts of my professional life sort of depend on her. But I don’t care about that anymore. More important for me now is to not let her humiliate me anymore. I know she is not doing that on purpose, but it doesn’t change how I feel.

14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh absolutely, the fact she finds it hard does not excuse her behaviour, as you have said her behaviour has beeen very selfish and you totally deserve more. You have given her many chances and now for yourself you have to move on. Rejection is never easy but I think it is almost sometimes harder when the feelings are returned but the other person can't or won't deal with them.

15. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, rejection has many faces..In our case I feel rejected not because she doesn’t want me. She does. I know that, she has told me that many times before and probably will tell me many times in the future. I feel rejected because that one time I decided to talk to her about all this, she wasn’t there for me. Yes, I think as my friend she should have listened to me. But all she could think of was HER feelings, not mine. For me it’s a deal breaker, because I don’t turn to other people for support in real life very often. And when Ido, I really need to be heard. She knows that.

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand that, I also think if her feelings had just shown once and then she had kept them to herself that would also be slightly different but to keep coming back to you and then going away it's too much. I'm sorry for what you are going through.

17. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for your support! It’s really important for me to be able to talk to someone about this stuff..I don’t have friends in real life I could open up about this subject, so I have dealt with all mostly by myself. It’s ok now, I know who I am and what I want, it’s been a lengthy process, but I am quite happy with the result. Although no one in my circle suspects I am different (it’s a very conservative, old school circle :slight_smile: ), it’s enough for me that I know. I really hope she would have enough courage to face it, it must be very hard to live ignoring such a big part of yourself. And it’s not just a phase for her either, I know that.

Drizzle likes this.
  18. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are welcome anytime. I have never been in this exact situation but I know what it's like trying to deal with stuff and not having anyone to talk to.

19. Sonata

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh. How hard, how complicated and how sad this is! I totally understand your feelings, but to my mind you are the one in power position, as you know who you are and she doesn't. Sad for her. It takes a great deal of strength and decisiveness to take yourself out of the situation; the things you seem to have. I think you have made the right decision and you should stick to it. You are not responsible for her weakness and unless she clearly asks for help, there is nothing that you can do for her. You are responsible for your own emotional health though.