1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about my gender identity with fluctuating dysphoric ideations

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Connie, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Connie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a male of seventeen and I seem to be upon a dalema. I have always had an affinity for femininity and generally never liked masculinity, but I never started to feel dissatisfied about my gender until about sometime last August. I started as a simple desire to be more feminine, but as time grew on, the feelings become more and more pronounced to the point that I suddenly had the thought that I wanted to be a girl. This scared me quite a bit, and, as I tend to dwell on problems and make them out to be worse then they are, I decided not to pay any attention to it for fear that it might make my feelings go out of control. I was able to suppress these feelings for a bit of time, but eventually, they became too much of a presence to ignore. Today, the dysphoric ideations are worse than they've ever been. I get a sick feeling in my stomach all the time like I'm about to go on a roller coaster because I feel so uncomfortable in my body that it makes me want to rip my face off. The other day, I was driving in the car and decided to start talking to myself about this problem to sort it out. What ended up happening, was that by the time I got home, I was shouting at myself and shaking and almost in tears, being more inconclusive then I had been when I started because I didn't know if these feelings were real. I can't exactly remember how far back it goes that I thought in the way I'm about to describe, but I always implicitly think of myself abstractly as a girl. I've watched many accounts of dysphoria on youtube, as what some of them said was that as they were growing up, they'd always gravitate towards behaviors that would indicate dysphoria without actually feeling the dysphoria because it was, I suppose, subconscious. Examples include: Dreaming that they were a girl all the time; Always picking the female avatar in video games; always sitting down to pee; ect... Reflecting on my past, I know that I have always desired to play as the female character in video games, but I always chose the male character because I was afraid to be made fun of. Another thing is that when thinking in terms of my own sexual desires, I wish much more to be on the womans end then the mans. With regards to this subset of the topic also, I have had dissatisfaction with my genitals and, to a lesser degree, secondary sex characteristics for as long as I can remember, but I always thought that it was only a quotient of my attraction towards women. I also experience dysphoria in that I really wish I had longer hair, and wish to wear the opposite sex's cloths, but have non to experiment with. What confuses me is that I do not feel disgusted when I look in the mirror, and I do not feel discomfort when others refer to me as "he". It is simply the fact that it would be unreasonable to expect people to call me a she, but isn't the whole point of the dysphoria to feel uncomfortable with your gender regardless of objective reality? If I really was experiencing consistent symptoms of dysphoria, then I expect that I would be discomforted by the being referred to by my sex, but I'm simply not. The dysphoria also seems to fluctuate. There are days when I feel so uncomfortable with myself that I have to go to the bathroom to get away from social interaction for a while. But other days, I simply don't feel the dysphoric ideations nearly as badly as I would on the bad days. The thing about that, though, is that on the days I don't feel dysphoric I'm distressed by the very fact that I'm not feeling dysphoria because it makes me seriously question whether or not I have dysphoria or not. I also don't know if this is a phase, and I feel myself losing control at an exponential rate. I cannot focus in school a lot of the time because I'm too busy worrying about how I'm not a damned girl. It certainly causes extreme anxiety. I just don't know what to do about this. I have a therapist I talk to about this but thats all there is. I can't talk to my parents about it because they would freak out. I tried coming out to my mom as bisexual and she still doesn't beleive me. I just need to talk to others who are perhaps dealing with the same issues or who are transgender because I think that it would be beneficial. If there's anyone like that reading this, I could seriously use some advice.

NoName87 and Hanyauku like this.
  2. SRO

SRO

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, Matt2

You sound thoughtful and smart. You've stated your issues clearly. My dysphoria fluxuates, too. I think it's part of the process. I think it's normal. I think you're normal. Please keep working with your therapist. Nothing will be easy but it will work out. Always, always, always be kind to yourself.

Take care.

Susan

Richard321 likes this.
  3. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, Matt2, you write very eloquently. It's possible that you do have some gender dysphoria. So, maybe you do have some. But maybe you don't. Surely gender dysphoria doesn't have to be all out raging, or ever constant. But your liking of feminity might be you liking female qualities over male one's. It might also be that you want to be around females more than males. You don't hate your own body - you seem OK with it. Go easy on yourself. If the videos are disturbing you, then don't watch any more of them. They do seem to be disturbing you.

4. Connie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for commenting on the post. To clarify, I don't present myself as being feminine, it's actually quite masculine, but temperamentally, I'm very feminine. I don't mind hanging out with guys, and I also like hanging out with girls, but I would not primarily want to be around females more than males. My whole worry here is based off of the fact that, in my head, I truly feel like a girl, but the degree to which this distresses me varries from day to day. I have heard many stories of people detransitioning because they realized that they only confused their owtward femininity for a need to be a girl, and they thought that it would be a, shall we say, "fabulous" experience. As far as I can tell, I'm not like these people. My Dalema is that I truly feel like a girl on the inside, and that I'm stuck in some sort of male shell that doesn't belong to me. When I think about transitioning, I think that it would be exciting, but in the way that I would finally be able to be myself, and it would also be absolutely terrifying. Messing with your body is an extremely dangerous game, and I don't think I'm well enough to know if I should consider it yet. I remember after working out last night, my head felt more clear then it has in six months. I felt more confident then I can ever remember feeling, and in that moment I was overcome with joy because I was absolutely certain that I, not just wanted to be a girl, but that I NEEDED it. Today I'm not so sure though. Today the dysphoric ideations are swaying and it worries me. A very tricky thing to figure out, this is.

Richard321 likes this.
  5. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi Matt2,

Welcome to EC! I'm glad you found this place. It's helped me get through a lot, and I hope it can do the same for you. It's important to remember that gender identity is really confusing for a lot of people, and there's nothing wrong with not being totally sure of how you identify. Don't feel pressured to figure this out all at once. Also, no one here but you can say if you're trans. There's no test for it. All you can do is be honest with yourself, and remember that you're not the only one feeling like this. I apologize in advance for the novel.

When we turn on the TV, we see Jazz Jennings or stories about transgender kindergartners and believe that this is the norm when it comes to trans people, but that's not the case. Most trans people aren't the 3 year old on Good Morning America. I didn't even know what it meant to be trans until my senior year of high school. I knew that something was off, but I literally didn't have the words or even the concepts to explain it. Growing up, I felt pretty normal until I was a teenager. I realized I was interested in men my freshman year of high school, when I developed a huge crush on a boy sitting next to me in class. I figured this meant I was gay, especially since I'd never shown any interest in girls. But for whatever reason, gay didn't feel like the right thing to label myself. I didn't come out as gay until college, partly because I went to a private religious high school, and partly because even though I liked men and not women, it just felt weird to call myself gay. When I learned what it meant to be transgender, I felt a deep connection with the term, more than I'd ever had with being gay. All the weird little signs throughout my life were starting to make sense, but I was also very scared. Being interested in guys never really bothered me, but being trans was too much. So I pushed down my feelings. I went to college, and tried to live a normal life. But my feelings of dysphoria didn't go away, they just got stronger. While on vacation with my family one Christmas break, I came out to myself as a trans woman. And it felt amazing. I spent the whole trip imagining what my life would be like as a woman. But when I got back home, I started to get nervous. I thought about the hardships I would face as a trans individual, including the possible loss of my family. I tried to convince myself that my life would be so much easier if I lived it as a man. And in some ways, it might be. I decided that even if I was trans, I wasn't going to do anything about it. I went back to school, and a year later, I came out as gay. And in a some ways, it's helped. I can be more feminine, because that's what society often expects of gay guys. But I knew from the moment I came out as gay that I wasn't gay. I wanted a boyfriend, but I didn't want to be a boy with a boyfriend, I wanted to be a girl with a boyfriend. I'm making progress towards coming out as trans, but that's a story for another time.

Gender dysphoria is weird. I don't really know how else to say it. It means different things to different people, and all trans and questioning people have their own experiences with it. Some people know something is off from a very young age, and for others it takes a little longer. Sometimes it's direct, and sometimes it's indirect. What is definitely true about gender dysphoria is that it's different for every individual that experiences it, and it can come and go. There are days when I don't experience that much dysphoria, and there are days when I can barely get out of bed. Recently, my gender dysphoria has been really bad, to the point where It's hard to carry on a conversation. I literally cried myself to sleep yesterday because I was so upset that I wasn't born a girl. But a few weeks ago, my dysphoria wasn't bothering me that much. And different things can be sources of gender dysphoria. I wish I had long hair and I hate having body hair, but my genitals don't give me that much stress, even though I do want a vagina. Some people get sick at the sight of their bodies, but even though I don't really like my body, I don't get uncomfortable looking at it. On the other hand, I hate being referred to by any masculine nomenclature, and always want to be seen as a girl. My point is that gender dysphoria is unique to each individual, so don't get too caught up on comparisons. What is important is that you have gender dysphoria.

Something else to consider is gender euphoria. This is when you get really happy doing things associated with another gender, like wearing women's clothing or being referred to by a female name/pronouns. For example, I love shaving my legs, and a couple of weeks ago I almost died of happiness when a store clerk accidentally referred to me with female pronouns. Growing up, I was always interested in women's clothes and makeup, and always connected better with women. I think gender euphoria is just as telling as gender dysphoria when it comes to figuring out your identity. I know you said you can't really experiment with women's clothing, but is there anything else you could do to get a feeling for what it's like to live as a girl? Maybe makeup?

Finally, there are little things that you might not recognize as dysphoria, but could be. For example, you already talked about playing the female character in video games, or dreaming that you were a girl. Looking back, I think a symptom of dysphoria for me was a major disconnect with those around me. Like I said, I felt pretty normal until I was a teenager. I had a lot of friends and was pretty popular up until around 7th grade, and then I started to become a new person, or, rather, my old self died and I became a shell. I became depressed and numb, something I still struggle with today. I felt like everyone else's life was going on around me, and no matter how hard I tried I just didn't care. I couldn't care. I got very little enjoyment from life, even though, on the outside, my life appeared to be going well. Mostly, I just went through the motions and felt nothing. When I finally admitted to myself that I was transgender, I felt the world open up again, or at least saw the possibility of it opening up. I remember being on that vacation over Christmas,on a boardwalk by the ocean, finally getting excited about the things everyone else was excited about. For the first time, I got what it was all about. I wanted a husband and kids and a career and to live my life as a woman. In that moment I knew I was trans because I was the happiest I'd ever been for the first time in so, so long.

I'm sorry again for writing so much. I connected a lot with your story, and wanted to share. Figuring yourself out can be so terrifying, but you'll be a better person for it. Just be honest with yourself, and love whoever you realize yourself to be, regardless of who that is. Have an awesome day, and remember to fight every day to be the best version of yourself you can be, because you're worth nothing less.

Nike007 and Richard321 like this.
  6. Connie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I appreciate the thoughtful response. Yah, this whole situation is really weird for me. Last night was the first time all day that I had any sense of confidence in myself, and it was like I knew that I was a woman trapped in a body that wasn't mine. It's such a weird experience to literally feel like your something different underneath your body. I think I've had two moments of revelation so far which told me i was transgender. When I talked about how I almost brought myself to tears in my car that one day, I didn't mention that there was a moment in it when I actually thought I was a girl. This scared me, of course, and I thought that I must have been going crazy. The other revelation was when I had been so sick of doubting myself all day the other day that I just decided to start working out. By the end of it, i was pissed, but not in a bad way. I felt pissed in that I knew what I wanted and I was done feeling doubtful. After this happened, I had a period of euphoria in which I was so happy to finally realize who I was that I couldn't stop myself from laughing at the joy of it. I was 100% sure in that moment. Of course, things have changed since then to a substantial amount. I'm still doubting myself senseless, but I suppose that's all part of the anxiety. When I think about it, since 8th grade I haven't really been able to call myself "happy". There was just something not quite right and i couldn't tell what it was, but now I think i understand that it was because I wasn't myself. I have a name, Connie, and face in my head that I always imagine myself with. In my head I call myself a she, and I refer to myself as Connie because something about it just feels right. I don't really think I could be myself without having that face and that name. Again, only time will tell of what I should do. It hasn't even been a year since I became self aware of the dysphoria, and I think it would be dangerous to jump on this wagon right now. Thank you for your words, they've helped.

Richard321 likes this.
  7. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi Connie,

It seems like you're very in tune with your thoughts, which is good. For now, I would say just see where things go. Like you said, it's too soon to make any drastic changes. I think you're at a point where you should try and experiment with gender. I get that it can be hard to hide this stuff when you're living with your family. But even when I was still at home, I managed to sneak stuff past my parents and three siblings. Online shopping can help you out a lot in this. Try ordering clothes or makeup online, and having it shipped to a delivery store. I ordered different things and had them shipped to a FedEx store, where I just picked it up. And If you have sisters, they probably have some old makeup lying around that they won't miss. Get some basic stuff that's easy to hide, and try it out when you're family isn't there. And just see how it feels. See if you experience some of that gender euphoria I talked about in the last post.

You said something really important. "I don't really think I could be myself without having that face and that name." That say's so much!!
    I forgot to mention this in my last post, but I think it's a good exercise. When picture you future, who's in it? Think about what you want out of life, and then look at who's accomplishing it. Is it a boy, a girl, or someone off the binary? This question has been very helpful in figuring myself out.

PS, if you need makeup tips, check out Stef Sanjati's Youtube Account. She has very informative videos, and she's a great trans Youtuber in general.

PSS, how did it feel to be referred to by Connie? I love it when I get called Olivia on EC. Getting super happy when you're referred to by your chosen name is an awesome example of gender euphoria.

8. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really like hearing such posts as are in this thread - posts that explain and say things from how it is inside for the person. Yes, one can attempt to put self in the place of the other, but actually hearing / reading it from you directly is so much more intense.

I have a peripheral comments regarding makeup and stuff - after reading this thread. I think that anyon of any sex or gender should be able to wear makebup. I think that all of the judgement that an outwardly physical guy might get if s/he were to wear even a touch of makeup is wrong. It seems to me that many men have tattoos because they "aren't allowed" to use makeup. It's all so crazy... I think that this is the same regarding male dress... Also, we seem to have a fixation with he and she when we refer to people.

I speak from the UK, but i think the same is so in many / most other countries - to some degree or another.

People have to deal with all of this from parents, grandparents, siblings, friends, colleagues, strangers... It really makes it so difficult for them. And of course I only mentioned peripheral things. So, when it's a bigger thing it's surely even more difficult to deal with.

Hanyauku and SkyWinter like this.
  9. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's an interesting theory about men and tattoos. What makes you think that given that women wear makeup to appear young/beautiful. Are you saying that is what men are doing with tattoos?

Richard321 likes this.
  10. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, some women do get tattoos, too, but less of them get them than men do. Women who do get tattoos generally get less tattoos and different ones when they do get them, and they tend to have them hidden, too. Women do very commonly use makeup to alter their looks - be it to feel good or to attract others or both. Men more often get tattoos but few wear any makeup. I think people get tattoos not to put people off, and more likely they want to be more attractive, so surely their tattoos must be done to attract... And since more men get tattoos than women do, and the men who do get tattoos tend to get more tattoos than women do, then surely men use them more than women to attract... Just my thinking. Yes, there are others reasons for tattoos than to attract, but I think that to attract is most often a consideration. It's men being men! Lol.

11. Connie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yah it feels pretty great to be called Connie. You're actually the first person to ever do that so when I read it I got this jolt of anxiety but after that I liked it. Right now my head is more clear then it's been in days and I've been able to formulate some ideas about what exactly is going on, but as of yet it's too soon to notice any pattern that would roughly confirm any one of the ideas. all this has happened really fast. The dysphoria was there before hand, but two weeks ago it seriously ramped up and made me feel terrible. This last weekend was when it started to decline, and that really upset me too because for some reason a part of me doesn't want this to just be a phase. At this point I've perhaps discovered that (in terms of freudian psychology) that may have been that my ego was in such a state of control that my ID got really upset. At this point in time I'd come to not experience distress of dysphoria, but a lack of dysphoria with periods of time in which i suddenly got a jolt of euphoria for a short time because it felt like I really wanted to be a girl and that made me happy for some reason. Right now I still feel as if I want to be a girl, but it causes much less distress then it's been causing. I half expect the intense dysphoria to come back and start the pattern of events again at some point, but I don't know if that will happen. I also seem to be going through a process of rapid development in my brain, which started at the start of the school year. I started out questioning a lot of things and I think much more intelligently than I ever have. Not sure if that has something to do with it, but I guess it's worth noting.

12. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I would say with men it's also an issue of them being a rebel or a risk taker as that is what women are often time looking for in a man. Someone who will take a risk.

13. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But do many men endow themselves with tattoos to make themselves appear as risk takers in order to attract others?

14. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Matt/Connie, does your lesser feelings of dysphoria lately have to mean that you are less Connie than before / less accepting of Connie than before? Perhaps it is just you accepting more that you are Connie. And anyway, you previously said that things fluctuate for you anyway... The ego, Id, superego model is interesting - I will revisit that myself to reacquaint myself with it.

15. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I think there are a lot who do. Tattoos on men are often times not what I would describe as beautiful. There is something about tattoos on men that is more raw or primal than women using makeup.

16. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Connie,

I just wanted to give you my cup of tea. If you don't care about my story, just read the next paragraph, because it will be more relevant to you, I promise. I remember my first stage of realizing that I was transgender. I was in a lot of denial at first, because I am non-binary, and there seems to be a lot of backlash against non-binary people from society, such as the attack helicopter memes, which made me feel awful, because I was like, I can't be girl, but I can't be a boy either and so I was just stuck on this binary gender system and hid this for about a year, when the dysphoria was getting worse, and I thought about my gender a lot. And I would just dream of being called Niko by people, and being seen as Niko too (like having an androgynous body) and it made me really happy. I realized after this that I needed to do something about this or this excitement and fear and emotions from being transgender may interfere with my life, so I came out to a couple of people. Once I moved away, I changed a lot about me: new clothes, new haircut, I told everyone my proper name, and I told a few my proper pronouns, but I hope to change this in the future. And I was feeling a lot better about myself. I eventually got a chest binder. But literally, as soon as I put my binder one I was so excited, and then knew almost immediately that I needed to transition medically. You don't have to do this, but I have realized as I get further along my transition, the more I realize that I need to medically transition. Everyone is different. I have recently discovered that I would like to have a masculine expression, but I don't have a male identity, and that I still identify as being androgyne. So even for me, after 3 years of learning about being transgender and realizing that I am trangender, I discover things about my gender that I didn't know before. I am sure that this will continue. I am also in a voice group for trangender people too.

My point of my story is that it may seem like transitioning is a straight line from point A to B, but it really isn't. It's more a line that travels all over the place, and never really ends.

Anyways, gender dysphoria isn't necessarily body dysphoria. There are different types of dysphoria, from body, to social, to mind/mental. Here is a link about the different types of dysphoria:
    http://whenevebecomessteve.blogspot.ca/2015/04/different-types-of-gender-dysphoria.html

People have different intensities of each type of dysphoria. Body dysphoria may be the highest for one person, but for another, it's the lowest type of dysphoria, but they are still both transgender. It really depends on the person.

Is there any way that you could try more feminine clothing/expression, assuming that this is what you want? Like get a shirt you really like or try to get more gender neutral clothes, if the feminine option isn't possible. You can try make-up too, as that is generally easy to hide and you can try cheap stuff from a dollar store (it's not that good, but it's something).

For pronouns, you can try this site. Personally, it has helped me:
    http://www.pronouns.failedslacker.com/

I have also made an avatar (my profile picture) to tell myself that that is what I would like to look it and this is me, and not how I actually look. It gives me a mental image of my goal, as well as helps relieve some mind dysphoria. I used some free avatar creator that literally seemed to be at every link possible, if you just google "avatar creator" or something like this.

You are almost 18, and being able to move out was the best thing for my gender dysphoria, as I can present and be whom I want to be without fear or judgement from family.

I wish you the best.