1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name opinions please?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by EverDeer, Mar 29, 2018.

?

Which is your favorite?

1. Felice

14.3%
  2. Fiefer

47.6%
  3. Felix

42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi thereeeeeee.... so, I used to go by Kipp on here, but after taking a break for awhile and some general crazy changes and life events that went down, I really wasn’t feeling attached to it anymore.... it was a great starting place for me, but I’m starting to genuinely consider a lot more aspects of transition and just how I’m going to live in the future.. but I wanted opinions on what I’ve been thinking about lately.

So in short, I’m a pretty naturally androgynous AFAB person, small chest, average weight/height, white and with dark brown short hair.... I present more masculine most of the time and somewhat clean cut or casual.... Ideally if I could wake up without breasts I would but I dunno if that’s something I could ever actually achieve for other health reasons.... I’m on the fence about wanting to go on T, but in general I want to just be very androgynous to lightly masculine.. currently using they/them with those who are close to me...

I’ve liked Fiefer (maybe Fie for short) best for a long time because it’s the most neutral, but I’ve been told by some that it doesn’t sound like a real name. Felix I fear would be too masculine and would get me looked at oddly, especially since I’m not sure if it would be realistic since I’m not planning to physically transition much (sometimes I pass visually but I naturally have a VERY high voice that’s a dead giveaway, even higher than most women).... Felice I thought might be nice because it’s also more gender neutral but still pretty, and whimsical like Fiefer but might seem a little more realistic socially. I think I’m generally looking for something a bit whimsical or fun, mostly gender neutral, light or soft/gentle sounding, and 1-2 syllables.

#1 EverDeer, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd only heard of Felix out of the three. I like Fiefer most out of the three by far. To me it sounds and looks neutral. I like neutral names more anyway, but that apart it still looks and sounds the nicest of the three. Felice sounds female or else French unknown. Felix, well that's very male.

EverDeer likes this.
  3. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's the first time I hear of "Fiefer" and I don't even know how it's pronounced. How it's pronounced?
    I'm using a masculine name without chest binding, I have a high voice and my hands move in an uncontrollable feminine way (I keep the pinkie raised without noticing >.<""" ). Who knows if that name sounds <<realistic socially>>. I don't care, if someone's supportive they use it when I ask it, if they're not supportive I ignore it. Choose the name that feels more right when friends call you, when you're looking at the mirror.

#3 Crisalide, Mar 29, 2018
    Mihael and Richard321 like this.
  4. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like Piper, just with ‘F’s instead. It’s typically only a surename (think Michelle Pfeiffer, just spelled differently)

5. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, I appreciate it. Felice is originally Italian I believe, essentially an Italian version of Felix, sometimes also short for Feliciano, also a more neutral/masculine version of Felicity. I wasn’t born there, but I figured Felice sounded neutral enough to not seem appropriative, but either way my grandmother was fully Italian so.... I kind of prefer Fiefer as well though..

Richard321 likes this.
  6. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What about Ludo or Ludovic or Ludovica as a name? I like Ludo and Ludovica more than Ludovic.

#6 Richard321, Mar 29, 2018
    EverDeer likes this.
  7. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You obviously prefer Fiefer. The only question left is how much does it matter to you that your name is as ‘normal’ as possible?

Richard321 and EverDeer like this.
  8. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Who wants a normal name?!
    Anyway, shouldn't you be preparing for July Days? Kornilov is on his way! He's staunchly DUP. Stop Kornilov! And you have October to prepare for after that.

#8 Richard321, Mar 29, 2018
  9. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand that some people do in order to blend in better. But thats a personal choice.

Richard321 likes this.
  10. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Felice" in Italy is a masculine name, just like "Felix"... if it's pronounced [fe'litʃe]. As an adjective - and not a person's name - it means "happy" and is grammatically gender neutral, but as a person's name it's masculine. Its feminine version is "Felicita" [fe'litʃita].

EverDeer likes this.
  11. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ngl I find it funny there’s been like 60+ views on this but only like 7 votes..

Richard321 likes this.
  12. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think thats including Guests and they cant vote. Also some people may not know - I almost didnt vote.

EverDeer likes this.
  13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Feifer sounds Irish to me. I have heard of it, I think. Oh, because of an art shop online. But spelt differently (Pfeiffer). So not as a name, although I like how it sounds.

14. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Felice sounds like a feminine form of Felix to me. Like in French. But what do I know?

15. E H Wildflower

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think Feifer is a pretty cool name, and it seems like you like it. Lots of names are not "real names" by some people's standards, but are still perfectly acceptable names in general. When I first told my family I was changing my name, my grandma couldn't understand why I'd want to call myself Ellis, "because that's a last name!". Sometimes when I introduce myself people think my name is Alice, or they don't know how to spell it, but it's generally not a problem. If you like Feifer, I'd say go for it.

Richard321 and EverDeer like this.
  16. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you like Fiefer, then go by that. You should be comfortable with your own name. No one can tell you what name you should go by, as every person has different perspectives.

The only problem with Fiefer is that many people may not be able to spell your name or know how to pronounce it if they just see the spelling. And it's generally a last name from my brief google search of the name.

Even with my name, when I order food, and I tell people my name, they assume I'm saying "Miko" instead of "Niko". Miko is a [Japanese] female name. I guess people don't think people from my culture don't think Niko is gender neutral.

But anyways, choose whatever if comfortable with you. I have looked online, and it seems Finley is a common gender neutral name.

I did choose Felix out of those three though. Felix is, I believe, seen more masculine in at least my culture. Like the YouTuber Pewdiepie name is Felix. Felice is gender neutral, at least according to name berry. This is an Italian name, and is seen more as masculine.

I hope you choose a name that you feel suits you best.

Richard321 likes this.
  17. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't Fiefer a character from Watership Down? I'm pretty sure he's the really cute rabbit that has psychic abilities. Anyway, I think all of these names are really nice, so if Fiefer is the one you like best then just go with that. Felice is very good too though.

18. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fiver actually! I forgot about that.. I love that book! I must’ve subconsciously remembered somehow.... anyway thanks!

19. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, have you decided on your name change? Are you changing your whole name or just part of it? Will it be an official name change - a legal change? Will you have to change your name on your passport, bank account, credit card, with your local authority, with credit registries? Not trying to put you off. I'd like a complete name change rather than have a given name.

20. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just want to change my first name legally for gender related reasons, as my given birthname is quite feminine and I just generally am very indifferent to it and feel it doesn’t suit me. I’m still on the fence on a lot of aspects of physical transition (but I’m not really out to any family yet), and I mostly ID as agender, but I’m not someone that enjoys leading a dual life, and I feel doing this will help me be less anxious and disconnected about just living my life in general... I’m already a very anxious individual, but it’s so deterring and distant feeling trying to talk to doctors, coworkers, employers, basically everyone with that little blow to my person everytime we interact.. and it’s even a hassle that some places can’t/won’t just call you another preferred name because it affects your work record, etc. It just makes me feel like my own life is fake so I don’t have the motivation to live it.... I already go by another (different) nickname in most of my friend circles, so yeah I would prefer to change it legally, which would involve the whole court thing and amending my birth certificate, changing it at the bank, etc. .... luckily in the state I live in it’s not too complicated, the fees are close to $100 but there aren’t a ton of requirements for it besides that fee.

Richard321 likes this.