1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling a Partner about my Mental Illness and Rape - HELP!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ConfusedBiGirl, Mar 31, 2018.

1. ConfusedBiGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello, so I have already posted a very similar thread to this a couple of days ago only with a less specific title and with far more detail but I didn't really receive any response. In this post I am simply going to ask the question I want answered, if you need more information then see my previous thread (https://forum.emptyclosets.com/index.php?threads/telling-a-new-partner-about-mental-illness.469423/).

So, the question is:

When is the right time in a relationship to tell a partner about my mental health problems and my sexual assault?

Through my therapy, due to having a history of keeping emotions bottled up (resulting in unhealthy outlets such as self harm and alcohol abuse), I have been learning to be much more open with how I am feeling and what is going on in my life. It is now so important to me to be open and honest with the people closest to me and as such a big part of my life I think a partner should be made aware of my issues but I don't know when the suitable time would be. I don't want to be too intense so early on and scare someone off but at the same time my mental health problems and sexual assault are really relevant in who I am and I would need a partner who can except that and I wouldn't want to waste my time with anyone who couldn't.

Anyway, I have ended up rambling on again but I would really appreciate the help because it has been something that has massively concerned me recently, especially since meeting someone. Thank you for your time, I would love an open discussion with thoughts and advice, any input is appreciated.

2. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can only speak as someone with mental health problems, but I personally tell people as early as I can naturally bring it into conversation. I don't usually go into full details or have a very intense conversation about it straight away, but I will mention in passing that I've some mental health problem's. Over time, if they stick around, I will then gradually build up on that and go into more detail. I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable, and I certainly don't want pity, but I don't want to make myself out to be someone that I am not either and the reality is that if they are gonna freak out at the mere mention of mental health issues, they probably are not going to be hardy enough to cope with me. I am not a maniac, I don't need caring for and generally I am quite a jolly soul - but I do go through bad spells and I need people in my life that aren't going to freak out and do a runner when I do.

ConfusedBiGirl likes this.
  3. ConfusedBiGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there! Thank you so much for your response, I found it really helpful. It sounds like we are pretty similar, I am a very happy person in my healthy mental state but when my anxiety and (specifically) my depression start acting up things can take a complete turn. I am not defined by my mental illnesses but I think it is important that people close to me are aware of them and accept them because they come with the package. I also don't want pity and in fact reject it, I am a fairly independent person but I need people to know that if they want me they need to understand it isn't all a fairytale. My biggest worry really is the rape, I worry people will see me as 'damaged goods' or 'tainted', I understand that is all apart of the aftermath of rape and if any other rape victim (or whatever their preferred term is) told me they felt that way I would tell them they were wrong but it is hard to take your own advice sometimes.

I recently met someone who was into me and although I felt really comfortable around him and enjoyed his company I sabotaged it with him because I haven't been with anyone since my rape and I worried he would judge me or freak out about it and run away. That's what got me thinking; I can't let my assault stop me from entering happy, healthy relationships forever (although it is okay to take time to recover) and so when I am ready to get to know someone romantically, when is suitable to let them know what happened to me? I want to tell them early on 1. So as not to waste my time if they react negatively and 2. So I can make them aware that some things will make me feel uncomfortable, for instance sex, which is a very important part of most romantic relationships. However, I don't want to come across as too intense or for them to feel like they have to walk on eggshells around me. I am a normal person and not defied by my shitty experiences, I have just had a lot of negativity in my life.

Anyway, so sorry, I am rambling once again, typical. I really appreciate your help and will take what you said into consideration. Thank you, have a nice day!

4. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Please don't apologise for rambling because a) you aren't and b) even if you wanted a ramble, sure this is what this place is for! lol! If you need to get stuff off your chest do it, and don't feel one bit sorry for doing it!

I think it comes down to what is going to make you most comfortable. There are sometimes your own comfort has to come before that of others, and I think your situation is one of them. Bring it up when you feel ready to bring it up. If someone get's scared off then they weren't good enough for you in the first place, so let them run on (It's like the trash taking itself out!). Give people a chance though, because I guarantee the vast majority are not going to freak out or run away! You are not 'damaged goods'! You've been hurt, yes, but hurt and damage are different things!

ConfusedBiGirl likes this.