1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many gay people were at your school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know how many were in the entire school but I knew 2 gay guys (3 really but only 2 went to my school), 11 bisexuals, 1 who was pansexual and non-binary.

2. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In high school I knew 3. There was the other 2 that might've been lesbians/bisexuals They appeared to be dating.
    In university, so far I saw 1 who wore a pride badge on her bag. Not just the rainbow, the badge read "None of your business" with a rainbow background. I googled it and it was a coming out badge. Kind of subtle though.
    I know there's more lgbt population at my school bc there's a lgbt support group.

3. Maximum

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm still in highschool and there is one guy out as gay, and I think two girls out as lesbians, and four girls out as bi. And one person out as something (I'm not sure what his/her/their proper term is)

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I could have literally counted them on one hand, but then, I didn't really interact with others outside my little group, so who knows? The numbers are 1/10 are gay, I think, so out of ~3,000... possibly dozens. Later on, I found out several of my classmates going back to elementary school were LGBT in some way.

5. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In the late 1980's there wasn't anyone. Funny how the kid I told to quit picking on me and then proceeded to slug me in the mouth turned out to be gay. I could have taken him, I just had mom's voice in my head "the better person walks away" so I did. Wish I hadn't listened to mom that day. Maybe if I had knocked the crap out of him everybody would have left me alone....

6. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in Cedar Rapids, and those are about the same stats from my high school class! 1991.

Patrick

7. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m really sorry Dean.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Put it this way: I went to high school in the 80s. Today I know of at least 4 gay males (including me), and 1 bisexual female. Undoubtedly, there were more. The school had hundreds of students. But I knew of no one who was out of the closet during the time. Although I was pretty socially isolated, so it's possible that there was a gay kid I didn't know about.

I went to a local college for a period right after high school. Again, I was pretty isolated. But I knew of no one who was openly LGBT (although admittedly I didn't know too many people well enough to potentially learn someone was gay). I got the very real sense that LGBT people were not well accepted--a sense that was confirmed when I (fairly) recently read old student papers.

9. Rhyan7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to a Christian high school but out of the 250 (roughly) students there was about 5-10 LBGTQ+ students. Some where more secret about it than others though

10. RebeccaK

RebeccaK Guest

I'd say about 5-6 maybe more, at the time I didn't realize it but in retrospect it was very obvious.

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even though I went to a pretty progressive high school in a very progressive area, it was still the George W. Bush years. People tended to wait to come out until late senior year or just after graduation. Then there was me who waited until almost 10 years after graduation.

The people who actually came out were by and large accepted, but there was still hostility toward people who were perceived as gay and "that's so gay" was heard as an insult all the time. It kept me from accepting myself for a long time. But when I actually came out nobody said anything negative at all.

12. Loves books

Other than me? No one I knew about.

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If we're talking high school and we're talking out then none. I encountered my first openly gay person when I went away to college. I don't think growing up I even realized it was a thing.

14. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ¿Openly so? I think none.

There was this guy who was rather obvious, though. He wasn't (very) effeminate, but very androgynous; he turned out to be gay (but weirdly not androgynous) in later life.

15. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two that I know of, but given the size of the school I went to, statistically speaking, it's likely there were more than that.

16. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait. There was a girl, too. She never said anything about it but she was very obviously lesbian. Later in life I bumped into her in a gay club.

And the music teacher. Found him in the same gay club. Haha.

17. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My first high school had a lot of bisexual girls and one (other)lesbian. I guess the boys stayed in the closet. There were a bunch of conservative rednecks there as well, so maybe a lot of people were in the closet.
    My second high school had a few thousand students so it's impossible to know how many of them were gay, as I had never even talked to most of them. I do know about 12 people participated in queer-straight-alliance club.

#37 Assassin'sKat, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  18. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to a mostly Christian high school in the late 2000s. We had exactly two out gay boys but there were a lot more queer people in the closet. Over the past couple years, I've discovered that almost my entire friend group has come out of the closet since high school. It's kind of a strange feeling--like we all flocked together without even knowing it.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was pretty socially isolated, with nothing more than--at most--casual friends. But oddly, the best of these (and someone who might have become a closer friend had we started interacting sooner than spring of 12th grade) turned out to be LGBT.

The really odd thing: I sat by a boy in one class. We weren't close, but I liked him at a distance, and I think--now--probably even had a crush on him. Oddly, as it turned out, I've subsequently heard information that indicates he's gay. I sometimes wonder what might have happened if we'd become friends...

20. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the last year of high school, and there are about 600 - 700 students here. In my year it's approximately 130 students.
    I'm lucky to be going to school where being gay is not a huge deal, so that may have an impact on how many LGBT people are openly out. I know about 6 LGB (no openly trans) classmates, and 4 gay teachers. However all of these classmates (except for one) are from my year, since I usually talk only to classmates of my age group, so I bet there are far more LGBT people both out and in the closet.

Well my school is pretty diverse when it comes to race and descent, but that's for my country's standards. I bet Americans would still call it homogeneous. There are many people with Asian descent (predominantly Vietnamese) but also some Ukrainian, German, Slovak, few Polish, British. I know about one girl with parents from Spain, and one of my friends' parents are from Nigeria (he's one of like 3 black people at our school).
    About class.. You mean like classes by income? If yes then I guess like 90% of students here are middle class. It's hard to tell since differences between lower and upper class are very small here, compared to the US at least.

#40 BadassFrost, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018