1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does social media affect your mood?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by the prince, Mar 16, 2018.

1. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As the title says. For me,it does make me sad sometimes especially Facebook, maybe because I don't any notifications lol or because I see others traveling to Europe while I am having fun at home :expressionless:.

So what do you think y'all? * Kelly Clarkson voice*

2. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it does. Out of the big social medias I only use Facebook, and 95% of the time only for communication via messenger. It helps me to cheer up a bit if I'm alone (I can't stand being alone for too long, then I need someone to speak/chat with, otherwise my mood goes down quickly), however if I find myself browsing Facebook pages and posts then my mood will start slowly going down.. so I'm trying to avoid that side of Facebook as much as I can and only use messenger.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I have to ignore 80% of the crap on my news feed. Not being in the right or left party makes it worse, cause most of the time I disagree with both sides and just want to yell at everyone... So I skip thru stuff quickly to find the actual stuff people post about their day or week.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I used to use Facebook a lot but deactivated it years ago. No one ever makes posts about normal things its always nonstop showing off how happy they are about everything. That's just not realistic and makes you feel worse when you're sad since it looks like everyone you know is happy except you. It would give me a bad mood and made me jealous of other people. I didn't want to be bitter and jealous towards others so I just stopped reading it. Life got so much happier when I wasn't comparing my day to other people's days.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but it used to. I found deleting alot of randos as friends and unfollowing people helped. It's a huge sweeping generalization if applied to people as a whole, but personally, I've found Facebook never makes me jealous anymore since I've been keeping busy and have at least one or two friends I occasionally hang out with.

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Usually for the worse. I've found the more time I spend on social media (which inevitably becomes me comparing myself to others - if only even subconciously), the more depressed I become.

Social media has a time and a place, and its impact on society is not to be discredited, but I feel it's important for us to put down our screens and truly appreciate each experience, person, and event in our lives too. Make memories every day. Social media is fabulous for sharing and storing these memories, but that's about it. :slight_smile:

Plus most everything on the internet contains ads now, which wastes time and cyberspace.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes and not in a good way. That's why I went socially bankrupt several years ago and haven't looked back.

8. Loves books

Sometimes. I'll go on Facebook and there's always bad news. And sometimes people I knew at school are getting married or having kids and it took me this long to get to college. It really sucked when Facebook was full of pictures of them graduating from college.

9. TheFox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have facebook just to keep up with the events I wanna visit. But I have to keep a business page now and constantly worrying about how much likes something got is driving me crazy. :disappointed_relieved: I want my life back but the lack of money for proper marketing strategy I just have to put in extra time on social media marketing.

10. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I get political crap on Facebook from both sides of the aisle. I have seriously considered un-friending these people, but I haven't. I have un-friended people in the past for loading up my notifications with "play this game".

11. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

You can unfollow them and stay their friend so you won't get it in your news feed. Click on their profile at the top, where the wave button is there is also a follow button - click that to unfollow.

I have no friends on FB due to thinking a friend didn't want to be friends with me anymore (just anxiety we sorted it) and then if she wasn't my friend I didn't want anyone to be FB or otherwise. So I deleted everyone and kept it that way. I still have to have it though to help my classmates with word files and stuff. You can't do that over messenger.

Social media was the main cause of anxiety and ocd so I just stay off it mostly. I watch youtube but I stick to art (doodle date are awesome) and some music channels. I left the political ones when both sides got warped into my head to form a contradictory mess where I didn't know what to think. I thought it would help to see both sides to form my own beliefs but did not.

12. the prince

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I unfollowed a lot of pages(mostly for political crap too) and friends, in that way I am still friend with them but don't have to see their nonsense on my newsfeed.

13. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  14. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sometimes. I don't actually follow anyone I know in real life on my FB that I actually use, but I follow a lot of stuff I'm interested in and sometimes the political stuff pisses me off. Some days I just scroll past it all to look for the football/funny stuff.

15. eMei

It depends what people have posted. I get jealous quite a lot, but that's something I'm trying to work on :grimacing:

16. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    facebook doesn't really affect my mood but I mainly use it for keeping in touch with friends when they are planning events for the next time we meet up in person. So I don't do a lot of "socializing" on facebook, I use it mainly as a cheaper and easier alternative to calling and texting. Oh and also to follow the official pages of certain TV shows and musicians.

But I have quit a lot of other sites that were getting me down.

17. Mali Mali

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It used to make me sad sometimes when I felt lonely and saw other people having fun all the time.

But now I mostly use social media to connect with like minded people on political issues or common interests. So the way I use social media now is actually quite positive for me.

18. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah, sometimes.

19. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kind of. They're doing their own thing and same goes for me too. I know them well enough to see that most of them are not superstars. But when I see or hear about other people actually going places, I do feel bad about myself.

(I.e. This girl I know is an olympic athlete. She even has an official FB page hahaha.)

#19 Nightlight, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018