1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many gay people were at your school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel as if there are no other gay people at my school. From your experience at high school, how many gay people were there?

2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I went to a Catholic high school, so the LGBT kids were mostly closeted, and those who were out didn't really talk about it that much. My best friend from high school is gay (I thought I was still straight at the time) so I always heard about stuff that was going on from him. As for how many were actually gay? I don't know. But definitely more than I knew of

#2 BothWaysSecret, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  3. smurf

There were only 2-4 openly lgbt kids at school out of 600. Now almost 10 years after high school, more than 10-15 people that I know of have come out since.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There were quite a few but there were a lot of religious kids as well. Also the guys I liked didn't like me and the guys that liked me were out of my league.

5. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my high school I knew 1 openly gay man, and two more once I graduated.
    At my University, I know 2 bi people (in my year), and maybe about 5+ "queer" (bi, gay, lesbian, etc.) people in the first years.

6. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How likely is it that there will be other gay people at my school? There is about 700 kids, just over 120 in my year.

7. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

My high school was about 2300+ students total, so I had no idea of exactly how many LGBTQ+ students were at my school. My graduating class alone was about 800 students lol. However, I did know of at least 4 or 5 kiddos at my school who were also gay, but they were more out about it than I was. I was always pretty good at flying under the radar haha. I knew of at least one teacher who was gay there as well. And we had a GSA club back then. I teach at the high school I attended, and I know that a few of my students are LGBT+ in some way. I’m thinking about resurrecting the GSA next school year because no other teacher wants to do it. I think there are only a few LGBT+ teachers at my school currently, but we’re all pretty quiet about it. I don’t feel like it’s anyones business at work for me to discuss my personal life anyways haha. I think high school can be a hostile environment for a lot of LGBT+ kiddos (teachers too). People aren’t always accepting or respectful of differences between others. Being gay as a teen was hard when I was in high school, and it’s still hard today. But things have gotten a little better. Then again, I live in a smallish, conservative, mainly Christian town, so my experience won’t be the same as someone who’s grown up somewhere more diverse and progressive.

#7 Shoei Loei, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2018
  8. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My school was pretty huge, over 1400 kids over 4 interlinked sites, so you'd never see everybody.

In my year other than me, there were at least 4 bisexual girls, 2 bi guys and 1 gay guy, although another guy has since come out as gay, even though he had girlfriends so may really be bi. In the year below I knew of 1 bi guy and in the year below that there was 1 gay guy. In the year above me there was 1 gay, possibly trans guy and recently a friends brother came out who was 3 years above....so that's 12 that I know of and 10 whilst I was there. Not many really, but it was a very conservative town and there was no support services at the school or anything and most people were homophobic. There was once a big incident where it emerged the 2 bi guys in my year had been caught getting off and they were threatened with expulsion - this was only 10 years ago...

I used to see people harassing and beating up the people who were out or kicking them on the floor. I always used to go out of my way to confront them, stop them and try to challenge their way of thinking. There was also a gay teacher and people used to lock him in a cupboard and take over the class and run riot. Noone suspected me as I used to look quite messy and always had long tangled hair and band shirts on, but they still used to mock me a bit, saying "Oh look, here comes the gay defender".

#8 bi dystopia, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  9. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My high school was pretty big when I attended from 2006-2010 and it was diverse in terms of race and class.

I didn't encounter that many LGBT people personally: there was a guy older than me in my cross country team that could've been closeted, there was a guy that was from El Paso and was a senior when I was a jr and he was gay. He tried to grope me and a few guys on my cross country team. There was a gay black guy in my geography class that was in drama. There was a white guy that played tennis and sort of acted flambouyant but he wasn't gay. There was a lesbian Hispanix girl that was in my chemistry class. I think my chemistry team was a lesbian now that I look back.

10. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm surprised to hear that so many people have known at least a couple of gay people at their school. There seems to be none here.

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There was 3 other gay guys in my year, not sure about the other grades. Then there was a lesbian couple. Since graduating I've found out the numerous people were also LGB. Not sure if they were comfortably out and I didn't know or if they came out later like I did.

12. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I didn't know of any in high school. That was the late 1990's, back when being gay was usually something people kept hidden.

13. eMei

In my year group there were four of us, though we weren't friends and one of them was closeted.

14. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Was anyones high school diverse in terms of race and class or was it homogenous? I mean my middle school years were more or less homogenous lower middle class/working class and Mexican American

15. Mali Mali

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At about high school age (different country, different school system) I went to some small schools. I took most of my classes with the same 20-ish people and didn't really know anybody else because my school had a weird structure. For a few months there was an openly gay woman in my class (I was 17). That is it. Honestly, she gave me a really bad impression of lesbians (she was just an awful person and I couldn't separate the two) and made me not want to have anything to do with lesbians. So coming out to myself as a lesbian was a weird process...

I am studying to become a teacher. And I want to be out to colleagues and students. If the LGBTQ+ students don't have any out peers, at least they will have me.

16. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This might be my favorite thread so far. I graduated a long time ago, but we did have a lesbian PE teacher who was really cool and everyone accepted her. Looking back I had a classmate who was gay but he wasn’t out. I just remembered he was always watching me change in the locker room and it creeped me out. I find that ironic since I am now out. He moved to the East Coast and I haven’t seen him since we graduated. Currently, I’m associated with the high school. Five years ago there was a guy who was openly gay and everyone accepted him really well. I personally didn’t know him nor did I get the chance to ever talk to him.

The reason I think this thread it’s so interesting is the fact that so many of us have not been exposed to another gay person. A lot of people post that they wish they knew a classmate that was gay or somebody in their community that was gay. One of the biggest issues we face is so many of us are semi in the closet, that we can’t even find somebody that exists right around us. There are probably a couple in each class, but they aren’t comfortable with their sexuality and it’s hard to connect. If that same guy who watched me in the locker room in high school watched me now I would be ecstatic because I cannot find anyone right now. I was too scared to even accept my sexuality back then and it was just easier to think it was creepy of him. I mean it’s a little creepy that somebody’s trying to get a peek at your junk, but I understand a lot more now.

I am sure there is at least a handful of gay students in your school it’s just a matter of finding them which can be sometimes quite difficult. Keep looking and making connections in your school and hopefully something good will happen for you soon!

17. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe 2-3... I was to preoccupied hating 95% of my time spent at school so I don't know if other people were out.

18. SelflessSellout

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is probably a odd one to pitch in, but I attended a international school in Japan in 7th grade. I still keep in touch with some people who I knew then and I only know about one person being openly pansexual. I have a closeted bisexual friend too, so the total is like 2 (or at least around two) That's not that small since the school population is around 200 or less.

The middle school I spent the other two years in was average sized. It didn't really have a lgbtq+ community either, but maybe that's more common.

19. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm honestly not sure, but definitely not many. Granted, my school wasn't huge. Maybe 500-600 in the high school total? I was only out to friends in high school, so I didn't exactly know who was LGBT. The only ones I really knew about were the blatantly open ones.

Since I graduated, though, more people have come out. A guy I was in band with is now out and a drag queen. Two girls I was friends with are now a couple, which really surprised me there. There's some other people I suspect, but I don't keep in contact with people from high school enough to really know.

20. TheFox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Went to an art school in high school, so there ware quite a lot of them. But 14-10 years ago it still wasn't an open topic to talk about so you just kinda knew but never asked.