1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Teen shooting victim is suing school and officials for not keeping him safe

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by KaySee, Mar 26, 2018.

1. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Heroic teen shooting victim is suing school and county officials for not keeping him safe (Mar 6, 2018).

Of course, this shooting was in the United States.

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Like many lawsuits, the headline should read: "Lawyer looks to use unfortunate situation to get rich."

3. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Not all lawyers exploit tragedies for personal gain. My grandmother owns a law firm and has done countless outreaches into working with child custody cases to fight for children to be in the most suitable home. Hearing a lawyer fighting for a school shooting victim and instantly assuming the worst is quite rude and discriminatory to lawyers. The stereotype that lawyers get bank is pretty inaccurate unless they come from a top 14 school, lawyers have absurdly high rates of alcoholism and are usually balls deep in student loans for grad school. I doubt it was your intention but I found it very rude to blatantly trash the lawyer like that and mean no offense in this post.

4. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Do you realize the tremendously insane medical bills that the family of this child will have to undertake possibly for the rest of this young man's life? That's just a completely cold and callous remark to make.

There was nothing unfortunate about the situation. It's outright ludicrous that an 19 year old can obtain access to a gun.

#4 KyleD, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He should sue them $1,000,000. He deserves it after what he went through.

6. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... schools do have a duty of care to of their students. And there are ways that schools can look to identify possible shooters and stop it from happening in the first place.

That being said, I hope the local government gives to the school what they lose in court... because its really the government that is to blame, not the school. And students shouldnt have to suffer the consequences of a lawsuit no matter how justified it is.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Per my understanding Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is a public school. Thus it is a government entity. One can make a claim in a lawsuit, it remains to be seen if said claim(s) is proven. To me it remains to be seen the school was negligent.

But having video (per my understanding) of a Sheriff officer outside the school not enter the school to engage the shooter, well that to me appears to be an easy claim to prove - clear negligence.

#7 brainwashed, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  8. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. Well said.

Slight change in subject. Your grandmother owns a law firm! Way cool. Your grandmother rocks.