1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think my friend "acts gay", and I subconsciously judge him

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by loneboy888, Mar 24, 2018.

1. loneboy888

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys, here is a new life update.

I spent today working on a presentation with my friend for our class for this week. I find myself often getting super uncomfortable being around him. We consider ourselves good friends, but each encounter still seems to be awkward on my end, at least. Let me put out the disclaimer that I don't know my friend is gay, but I strongly believe he is. I don't mean to go by the stereotype, but at 22 he listens to Britney Spears, always comments on my appearance, hugs me after every time we hangout (awkwardly may I add) and to be honest he talks like somebody that fits the gay stereotype. AGAIN, I don't mean to assume because I know thats wrong and part of society's problem with these issues, but at least he exhibits more feminine qualities. He is trying to pursue girls right now, so what do I know, but deep down as someone that knows him, I think he is currently in the denial stage.

Anyways, when I spend time with this friend I find myself filling with internal rage. I am starting to come to terms with the fact that I am gay. I look at and swoon over attractive, masculine men. When a group of friends walks by, it wasnt till recently that I noticed I check out the guys and almost never the girls, even if I can admit the girls are pretty. Guys just touch me so differently, and I am trying to come to terms with that. I have some sort of uncontrollable resentment for more feminine gay qualities. When my friend talks in a seemingly "gay voice", I get annoyed and its almost like without being able to control it I get mad that he doesn't mask it like I do. Naturally, I present quite masculine and my voice is naturally pretty low, but I know I definitely do mask it to sound "straighter" and avoid people questioning me. My friend will say something about my style, or about things I personally believe more gay men are interested in and I deep down I actually want to slap him in the face and make him shut the fuck up. Today he asked me if I thought it was weird that he said "I love you man" in a text and I told him I thought nothing of it. What did I wanna say? "Dude your fucking gay is showing whats wrong with you I can tell you are gay why dont you do everything in your POWER to hide it like I do!?!?!?" Its almost a jealousy that he doesnt attack himself for seeming gay like I attack myself. He asks me why he is too awkward for girls and always gets friend zoned and I want to tell him "DUDE because they all think you are gay like you seem so just fucking admit it already!" I get so angry. Its like I project my self hate for acting gay on his behavior.

I know some may be thinking, dude, you're an asshole. And honestly, you're not wrong. I have a lot of built up shame and self hate for having any interests seeming remotely feminine. To be honest, I cant seem to accept my interests in writing, drawing, and design because I feel like I shouldn't like any of it. Logically I know there is nothing wrong with it, but I cant seem to treat myself with respect. I honestly just need some advice in getting over this deep deep deep shame and inner self hate. I have so much pent up anger within me for being gay and I cannot seem to find a release. I try running. I even try to watch videos to make myself cry. But deep down all I can feel right now is this passive internal rage. I cant express anything else. I cant bring myself to cry, to truly laugh, to actually feel mad. Please please please help me. I consider you my friends because in this post alone you have learned more about me than most people who have known me for all 21 years of my life. Thank you all.

-loneboy888

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really sure what I could say you didn't already say yourself - like you said this is pretty much just you being used to hiding it about yourself, so you automatically want him to hide it too. Maybe the internal rage is because you subconsciously want to let yourself act that way too but can't actually do it, so you get mad at him for being able to act that way openly and be comfortable with it?

There's nothing feminine about writing and drawing by the way - some of the best male authors in history were extremely masculine but still enjoyed writing and could use their inner feelings to write masterpieces.

This is a picture of Walt Whitman - one of the most well known American authors who wrote poetry, which is often considered the most feminine type of writing. Does he look feminine to you?

download.jpg

You shouldn't feel feminine just because you like writing and other creative outlets.

the prince likes this.
  3. Laplacian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Would it be fair to say that you're feeling envious of him because he is seemingly able to express himself without fear, whereas you're scared of your identity and letting people know that you're gay? You seem to understand that your feelings towards him are unfair, and yet it's impossible to change those feelings. Even though you seem unwilling and afraid to express yourself (judging by your hiding of your sexuality), your pure honestly here is very encouraging. I think you would feel a lot better about a bunch of the things you've outlined here if you were to feel able to come out entirely. Your hate towards his behaviour seems to be rooted in your unwillingness to express yourself. I know this will be super hard, but the best case scenario would be if you could talk to him about everything you said here.

Else, you could do your best to keep your anger away from him (I mean don't let him know about it) for now. I think that as you come to accept yourself your anger towards him will fade if my last paragraph was accurate at all. Perhaps there are some LGBT+ friendly people (professional or not) that you could talk to at your educational institution? Please don't be too hard on yourself for feeling these negative things towards him. It's clear you understand that they're not fair and it's not his fault. Just by posting this it shows that you want help with these feelings and you want them to change.

Also, even if he is feminine, doesn't mean he's gay. There are masculine women who aren't lesbian as well.

SomeUsername likes this.
  4. SomeUsername

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really feel for you man. I went through some of the same emotions toward my more masculine/tomboyish friends when I was trying to accept not being a cishet girl. I was fearful and biased against androgynous, outspokenly queer people. But it gets better with time and self-acceptance.

First of all you should keep in mind that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being feminine. Societal bullshit aside, there is nothing wrong with you or your friend for liking men or having stereotypically feminine hobbies. Maybe you should start small and dip your toe into some of your more feminine interests in a low-pressure environment. That helped for me- I used to feel a lot of shame about showing any sort of masculine side, but I kept pushing and saw that my world didn't implode or anything, so it got easier.

And also, don't be afraid to take it easy on yourself. You don't have to struggle with your internalized hate 24 hours a day. If you need to find a distraction go ahead, even if it isn't productive or doesn't make you feel anything yet.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a gay man who was closeted for decades of my life (I came out at 47), I completely understand your feelings. Many of us have done the same thing while in the closet, me included. I simply avoided anyone I thought was gay, or those who exhibited what I thought were feminine qualities.

Yes, I do think this stems from jealousy - that he is able to be himself without fear and suppression, and meanwhile you struggle to hide yourself. So what's keeping you in the closet? What is preventing you from coming out like you seem to want to?

6. loneboy888

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly I am not sure. I wish I knew. I think I just feel like I am supposed to live my life a certain way to keep up with the expectations of people in my life. But at the same time I feel like nobody in my life has truly met me. Its so hard.

7. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get that. Really I do. That's exactly what I did. I felt like I had to be the good boy, doing what was expected of me. I thought I was supposed to date girls, get married, have kids and live a "normal" life. The part I didn't consider was how I was going to feel about those choices 20 years down the line. I didn't consider how suppressing myself for so long was going to mess me up. I didn't realize that I was going to become depressed by living a false life. And I didn't consider the damage I was going to be doing to my wife, and how I was robbing her of her chance to marry a man who could love her as only a heterosexual man could love her.

I know you want to please your family and not disappoint them. I know this isn't easy. I can only tell you that at my age, 49, things will look much different to you than at your age. As difficult as coming out will be, living with regret so many years later is even more difficult. You may not be able to see that clearly, but please trust those of us who have been in your shoes so long ago, a lifetime of regret is much harder than facing the truth now.