1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to find a boyfriend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Joe2001, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry in advance - I feel as if I am spamming this forum as I have posted so many threads in the past week. Being in the closet raises up so many questions!

So, I am a 16 year old gay guy, and having seen a lot of guys in my year getting partners, I feel that I am missing out. I always feel a bit lonely (don't really have a social life) and I feel that maybe a potential partner is what I need and could really help me as a person.

Currently trying to lose some weight in order to get into better shape (I don't feel that it would be right for me to go after people when I am a bit overweight), however I am looking for some tips on how to look more attractive. I do have a lack of confidence in myself, so that doesn't help.

Secondly, does anyone have some tips on how to actually get a boyfriend? I don't know any openly gay people around my age, and I am committed to avoiding online dating.

Thanks!

2. LukasNYC

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, don't worry if other guys in your year are getting partners. Everyone has its own pace in these things. You shouldn't rush through these things. Just be patient a little bit and your moment (and the right person) will arrive. Obviously, try to always look around so you do not miss your occasions.

If you want to lose weight it's fine, but don't forget that there are people out there that don't mind if you are a bit overweight. (I am one of those people). I think the most important advice is that you should be confident in yourself. If you like your aspect, it would be easier for others to like you as well.

That was the biggest problem for me. Check if your school organize some LGBTQ+ events or if there are events for LGBTQ+ in your town in Facebook. This would be a way to enter in the community and feel less lonely.

Richard321 likes this.
  3. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I lose weight, then I think it would show a future boyfriend that I care about my appearance. That's not unattractive.

The school is Catholic, so no LGBT organization. I just don't think that a Catholic high school is really a good place to be openly gay, period. The town I live in is devoid of gayness, and instead full of religion and heteronormativity. Once I move to London for uni in 2019, I will really go for the LGBT scene, even if just to befriend gay guys and fit in.

I just crave this sort of love, happiness and just having such a special relationship with someone. The prospect of waiting 1.5 - 2 years before getting an opportunity to join the dating scene feels way too long for me.

Jackie Ray likes this.
  4. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Any more tips from anyone?

5. heyrita

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to embrace your imperfection first before finding someone who will love you as you are. There's nothing wrong if you want to lose weight, but do this not because you want to please the people around you, try to do it for yourself.

Markster and Richard321 like this.
  6. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given what you have said about the school you attend and the area where you live, it doesn't make much sense to focus on finding a boyfriend right now. Instead, I would focus on self-acceptance and just making lots of friends.

When you're in a safer place, I would suggest participating in lots of activities that you enjoy, especially those that are LGBTQ related. You shouldn't attempt to "get a boyfriend." Instead, make lots of friends, be loyal and kind, and be as outgoing as possible. By doing those things, you will find guys that are attracted to you and you to them, and the rest will take care of itself.

Richard321 and Incredibull like this.
  7. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    First , its good you want to lose weight, being healthy is never a bad idea. I fight to maintain my figure but its worth it. Looking good and feeling good builds confidence, plus you get to wear cute clothes.

Second, I feel your pain I went through school in the closet, I didnt come out until I was 19 years old and out on my own, 1000 miles from my parents. Sometimes you need a big move to re-invent yourself.

Third, Im in the same boat as you are, craving for love and a man of my own, Im in love with my best friend but Im too afraid to tell him; its been 9 years of unrequited love and its killing me, I cry a lot because of it. Just dont rush in the the gay scene looking for love and instead getting the shaft "literally" being used and hurt, there are some nice guys out there but a lot of assholes too.

What I found helps with confidence is being at the top of your game at something. Im a top bitch barber, Im very good at my job and I probably have too much confidence and Im a bit of a diva. What are you good at? Do it like a boss and own it.

#7 Jackie Ray, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Naters2000, Richard321 and I'm gay like this.
  8. Incredibull

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with 'I'm Gay', it is more important for you to be healthy and find healthy relationships which could just be friends. I came out when I was 20 and found a boyfriend who I am still dating 3 yrs later. It is a lot of work, it could put more stress on you if you do not already have some sort of support system of friends and what not.

As for the body thing, if you want to get in nshape more power too you bro! You should always be in a position to accept yourself but there is no reason to not have a workout and eating regimine for a healthy body... not a ridiculous workout 3hrs everyday on 1200 calories... anyway you get the point..

Online dating has a bad connotation but I found my boyfriend on ######.... and some pretty cool people who I am just friends with.

I think being gay especially as you comeout and seek first relationships can really take a toll on your mind and you become very preoccupied with it (you in this case is my experience with me). So find some cool hobbies and just try to be yourself and comfortable in your own skin. Whatever happen... happens... good luck man!

Richard321 and I'm gay like this.
  9. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for all of the tips thus far.

I have found a quote that I can relate to.
    "No, I am not single. I am in a long distance relationship because my boyfriend lives in the future."

I understand people saying not to get a boyfriend now, but all tips are helpful for the future. At the moment, I should keep myself busy with long term goals and maybe someone special might cross my path. I should also clarify that when I said that I would go for the LGBT scene, I mainly meant the LGBT scene at university and the LGBT society there. I would avoid places with older guys as that can lead to trouble.

Richard321 and Jackie Ray like this.
  10. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that this thread is 2 months old, but 2 months from now, my exams will be finished and I think that will be the perfect time to start.
    Since I posted this thread, I have dropped a bit of weight and am getting better. I do fear though that gay men have high standards and I won't match them. With some people in my year and many in the year above being in relationships, I don't want to miss out and would like to get a boyfriend. Not quite sure how to do it, but hopefully.

Richard321 likes this.
  11. youknow201

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey @Joe2001 , I know exactly what you mean. I'm in the process of getting back into shape myself, I'm looking to get a boyfriend for the first time to try it out. I'm attracted to fit guys, they don't have to be that's just what I am usually attracted to. So in my mind it doesn't make sense to want to be with someone who is fit when I'm not. Keep working on you in all aspects of your life and I'm sure your boyfriend will come around sooner than later. And I really do believe what they say about how you will find a relationship when you aren't looking for one. Good luck

12. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad to know that you are in the same situation as me. I am of the mindset that I want to date someone who keeps themselves in shape, so why be out of shape myself?

With there being so many people in my school getting partners, that makes me think that I would be missing out. It's not as if I have any friends either, so a special person in my life is really needed. I just don't know how to find one.

13. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone know of any ways to get a boyfriend in the next year or two?
    I'm not out yet to much people, so not too sure how to do it.

Really jealous of those at my High School who are in relationships and I don't even have a social life.

14. winnfruit

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  15. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There isn't anyone at my school who I think is friendship material for me. It's tough while I am still in high school and am not sure even how to make friends anyway.

winnfruit likes this.
  16. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You make boyfriends the same way you make regular friends. Start with a common interest and hangout, if that goes well then have a date, if the date goes well then maybe get physical.

I'm so happy to say my absence has been due to my seeing a guy. I followed my own advice, nothing serious yet.

17. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations! Hopefully it will go further.

I haven't really got friends at the moment, so I think that I need to get over that hurdle first, but being in high school multiplies that difficulty.

I just feel very jealous of those in relationships at the moment and those in the year above me. I want to find someone who I actually love and can have a relationship with.

18. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m older in life and just came out... I have the same dilemma. I feel my time is now for finding someone, but I’m never in a place to even meet a guy. However, I keep my spirits up and am willing to travel to at least find a gay population.

You are young, you have so many chances to find someone- I’m a little jealous. The fact that you are looking will open up many opportunities!!! I guess we all have a chance at love, and it will probably present itself when we least expect it. Regardless of age, I guess we are not patient and convince ourselves it will never happen... I am sure it will for all of us!!!

Joe2001 likes this.
  19. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose another issue applying to me is that I don't know any gay people. I am not the only person in that situation. I agree that being young is an advantage, but being in my particular circumstances, I think that it makes it harder. I just really want that person. I feel like it is time for me to find love.

20. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You will find love! Just being young and looking, love will be there for you. You might think there are no gay guys around you because of your school, but given the gay population is 5 - 10% the chances of other gay guys around you is pretty good. Are you out at school? If people know you’re gay, they might better approach you. If you can’t be out keep looking and making friends, one of them is bound to be gay. I have confidence in you!!! I know how you feel- I want a gay friend/companion right now and I’m worried it won’t happen, but it will!!! I suppose I could go on a dating site or travel to a city with a gay bathhouse, but that’s not my style... I plan on trying a gay bar next weekend and a Pride event this coming summer. Because you want someone, you have conquered the toughest part- never looking will net you never finding. Good luck to both of us!