1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is the accomodation expenses in Canada for an international student?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by becKEY0011, Mar 11, 2018.

1. becKEY0011

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was wondering what would be the safest way to get settled there. Get a host family? Dorms? Rent an apartment? If so, how is the costs? If anybody here is from Canada, any information will be highly appreciated.
    Edit: Also, which province would be the easiest and cheapest to get settled? As an international student, where would I be mostly accepted?

#1 becKEY0011, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Blue Nails

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Heey I'm from Canada! Me and my family immigrated here... but I have a lot of friends who are international students as well! Are you under 18? Do you have any family in Canada?
    And I think that Toronto, Ontario or Vancouver would be rather cheap to settle into :slight_smile:

3. becKEY0011

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am turning 18 in a month, and there is a family I know who lives in Canada, but they are not necessarily my relatives.

4. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Toronto and Vancouver are probably the most expensive places to live these days. Back in the day Montreal used to be the least expensive but I have no idea if that's still true.

My guess is, in general, mid-sized cities will be cheaper than the biggest ones. My suggestion would be to go on Kijiji and just look up the prices of studio or one bedroom apartments and compare. I would suggest too that you google "areas to avoid + location" to make sure you're looking at neighbourhoods where you'll feel comfortable. Every city, regardless of size, has its high-crime neighbourhoods.

Different regions have different costs of living too, so your rent may be comparable to other cities but your food costs or utilities may be higher or lower. There used to be a web site that compared cities' cost of living, maybe check for that.

Hope this is helpful.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also depends on what your currency is worth vs the Canadian dollar. I know from a guy I follow on Youtube, that things cost more than they do down here in America.

It might be cheaper and less stressful to find on campus housing run by the school.

#5 Shorthaul, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  6. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    becKEY0011 likes this.
  7. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Also if you’re a first year student make sure they don’t require you to stay on campus freshman year. That’s how my college is, but it might just be an American thing.