1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like the place where you live?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BadassFrost, Mar 10, 2018.

?

Do you like the place where you live?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Hard to say...

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've hated it here at times. I've been ambivalent about living here at times. It has fluctuated for me. It's been about how I felt in myself and how I was coping. I'm OK about myself at the moment and I'm coping - hence I'm ambivalent about where I live at the moment. I've not ever loved living here because there are some very real negatives to it - the neighbours!

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like where we live. We're definitely city people. Chicago's a great town!

3. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's okay. I can get why people enjoy living here, though there are bigger cities and more things to do outside of this area, which I'm desperate to get to myself. I'm looking forward to moving and exploring a new place when I get into grad school.

4. Maximum

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm from a small town so it's hard to accept yourself and think about coming out, but I still said yes because it's home. Everyone is supportive of each other and everyone knows every street in town and who goes where on what night and our community is pretty tight. At sometimes tight like an anaconda (not the dirty kind) but it's home.

5. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I felt that way about somewhere. I've lived in 6 places and I'm only 21 so I basically have no connection to anywhere and nowhere feels like home. I'm gonna have to move again in two years when college ends too, and it'll suck starting over for the 7th time.

6. Maximum

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry it's like that. I know I'm lucky and not all people get that. I think everybody deserves to have a place or a person to call home.

7. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm content with where I live. I would love to live in a more exciting city, like Chicago, or maybe New York, but I probably couldn't afford a decent place in a decent neighborhood.

8. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see you're in Cincinnati - you don't have to go to a far away expensive place for excitement, what about just upstate a bit to Columbus or Cleveland? There are lots of affordable neighborhoods in both places and they are both big cities with stuff going on. Plus Columbus has OSU and the youthful college vibe and those type of events going on.

9. Delphine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do like where I live but I wish I could move to some small, quiet village in the same region. I'd rather be as close to nature and as far from people as possible

10. AndyB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I used to but it has changed so much in the last few years I'm not so sure anymore. The council have gutted the town even to the point of demolishing a beautiful old church for an office building and putting an ugly new extension on the front of an old classic cinema.

Last week they cut down a lovely old tree in the town centre which they will probably replace with some awful modern sculpture which looks like someone left a plastic bottle too near an open fire.

We do have some wonderful woodland within walking distance and I spend a lot of time up there with my dog just enjoying the peace and quiet.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hard to say. I have mixed feelings. I hate the cost of living, thanks to impact of Seattle. But I don't really get any of the benefits, because I live in the middle of nowhere, where the rent is barely affordable for me. I especially note the limited options for anything LGBT related--Seattle seems to get almost everything LGBT related, but it's hard to even get to Seattle for an evening. Plus doing stuff usually costs too much--part of which is probably related to the expense of the area.

The winters have a cold-damp feeling, and the rains get tiresome at times.

On a plus side, there is better LGBT acceptance (WA was one of the first states where regular voters legalized marriage equality) vs other places.

I have no idea if I'll stay long term. A lot, I think, depends on circumstances. At this point, I can't really imagine myself moving across the country. Maybe I'd move to a different part of the state. But if the right circumstances occurred, I might make a huge change. If a really good opportunity came that required me to move. Or if I were in a committed relationship, and my partner had some strong need/desire to move somewhere else.

12. bi dystopia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I grew up in a small conservative market town in the English Midlands which was fun and safe for growing up but otherwise very dull with not much going on and nothing to do unless you took a train to Birmingham which was always a massive hassle. It was also about as far inland as you can go in the UK.

About 9 years ago I moved to Liverpool, which is a brilliant city with amazing night life, great people, nice parks and walks, a short drive to the coast - and even better since I was able to move into a decent apartment, rather than the shady, damp flat I had to rent when I first moved here. There's plenty of places I'd like to visit, but so far nowhere else I would want to live.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No I can't wait to move someday.

14. Aleko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I want to move back to Germany.

15. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love the weather where I live, but I want to go back home. I miss my friends so much. And the freedom of speech! I didn't have the confidence to come out until I moved into a homophobic country, where I could be arrested just for homosexuality. Here, gay people are seen as rapists and pedophiles, and it's disgusting. I know I'm young and I know it's risky, but I just want to be in a relationship like all my friends are. My country's opinions on my sexuality shouldn't be able to stop me. There is an LGBT community here, but it's well-hidden. People keep quiet and are usually closeted. I've been told I "look straight," so I doubt any girl would take a chance on me anyway. I'm here for a parent's job opportunity, so it's not like I can move anytime soon. Really excited for college!

16. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've lived a bunch of places, but I live back in my hometown now. Do I like it? Yes and no. I used to want to get away so bad and had planned on staying in Michigan or moving to Chicago for good, and I was even on the verge of moving to Dallas a few years ago. But the last time I lived somewhere else, it made me appreciate what's good about living here. It's relatively easy to live here, cost of living is lower than most places in the US, my parents are here. But there's a lot of crime here, job opportunities suck here, I hate the weather (all the South is, is rain and heat--my two least favorite weather conditions) and...I'll just say it, the people in my hometown are stupid and uneducated. There is no way I'd ever find a girlfriend or a good friend here because I don't fit in with the [lack of] culture here. Most of the people I knew here growing up moved away because that's generally what you have to do if you really want a good career.

When my parents pass away, I am definitely going back to Michigan or Chicago, though. There's a slight chance I go back to Chicago before that. I keep seeing great jobs there doing what I do now, and my sister who lives there keeps trying to help me get jobs there. Chicago had pros and cons, too, though, and I'm not over the cons yet (i.e. way too big, too expensive and a bigger place [than my hometown] that is full of crime).

17. Gamer77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in a small city in Ohio and I absolutely hate it here. There’s so many problems; drugs, racists, and close minded people. I really want to move to a big city where I can meet people like me and be apart of the lgbt community.

18. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I hate where I live. Right in the heart of Trump Country in Northern Michigan, where damn near everyone voted for the bastard. Conservative area with a lot of nutjobs. I can go to my work or to Wal-Mart and see idiots with freaking InfoWars/Alex Jones bullshit on their cars and on their t-shirts. Hell no, I don't like where I live. I have to hide who I am because coming out isn't an option here. And on top of that, the city I live in is freaking dead. And it's tiny! I can stand at one end of town and see the other end. Nothing ever happens here. It's boring as hell. A city of less than a thousand surrounded by farmland, so it smells like cow ass for half the year.

I could go on, I really could. The only thing I like about Northern Michigan is the scenery.

#38 ThatBorussenGuy, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in one of the most gay-friendly places in Australia (only part of the reason it's nicknamed the People's Republic of Canberra). It's very quiet and great for uni and work, even if you've got to get around a bit of an insider culture to have fun.

On the other hand, it has the coldest winters and the hottest summers out of any of the major mainland cities in the south-east, so that's a bit of a bummer. I'll probably move to Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane when I graduate but I definitely enjoy living here.

20. merry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    growing up i always dreamed of leaving my hometown... and i did at a very early age.

around 17 i hit the road in a motor home conversion van and traveled the country for nearly 5 years. i checked out perspective areas and fell hard for the west coast.

some circumstances with family brought me back to the midwest, and here i am. some odd ten years later.

my city isn’t small, or huge. a medium-big city with a small town feel. i like visiting the city, though we live on the outskirts surrounded by wilderness. maybe the best of both worlds? it is affordable and close to many other big cities.

lgbtqa friendly-ish. we have a large art community for a small town and pride center, pride parade, festival.. though recently the climate is changing. a religious group is buying up properties from gay bars to abortion clinics and running them under the guise of being hipster start ups, like cool coffee shops when in fact they are undercover conversion missionaries. looking up the business information will show they are in fact satellite churches and run as non profits funneling money to anti-gay and anti-abortion type causes. the most upsetting part is the compliance of the community that supports these businesses.

the seasons, watching them change is beautiful but i have never been a big fan of winter. it is not just the cold, the slushy sleet or the shoveling and clearing of cars after a big snowfall... but it is also very hard on my pain.

i voted “hard to say” because overall it is a pretty okay place to live. just not sure it’s ‘my place’ or the place that speaks to my soul.

really enjoyed reading everyone else’s responses. what an interesting topic.