1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like my friend is a horrible person (bear with me) what should i do?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ShiftyExtreme, Mar 3, 2018.

1. ShiftyExtreme

So Ive had this friend, ill call him connor. I had a crush on him for 2 months and came out to him in that time, and he wasnt so great about it. We stayed friends for 5 more months, i dont remember why, but I think he was a different person then. The problem now, is that he is a horrible person. He just is. Its like im some sort of possession to him. He doesnt respect me at all as an actual friend. When I threaten to do stop being friends with him, he threatens to tell everyone I was gay (which would have been a threat 4 months ago, now, not so much, Ive come out to 50% of people i know) and when I dont buy him a drink or do things for him like play his favorite music on my blutooth speaker he is like "Wow, dude, just wow" and because of that i do things for him out of peer pressure and its horrible. I dont know how he has friends in the first place, but some of his friends are actually nice people like tyler who is an awesome person who gives me food sometimes when i forgot to bring lunch, but hes friends with this asshole and so if I try anything connor might go up and tell tyler that im gay. Sure, I dont mind, tyler might be a big christian but he has said on many occasions that "gay people are cool" but it just doesnt feel like the right time to tell him and connor doing it is even worse. Connor treats me like a possession, he calls me his GBF which he says means gay best friend and I feel objectified, like thats all I am to him. He sometimes whacks me on the back and punches me, which i dont mind, i think its sorta kinky, he also does things to me to make other people think im his boyfriend in front of people, I would be fine with this, maybe even happy but the problem is that he is STRAIGHT and its not cool to do that.

Dont get me wrong, I never tell anyone this, Im a super nice guy. I love and respect everyone I know, even connor, sometimes.

TL;DR
    Connor is an asshole
    he threatens to out me if I dont comply with his demands
    Connor is also an asshole
    Im a nice guy

I need some encouraging words or a word of advice right now, because I am having some major anxiety issues

2. leonel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sounds like this guy connor is very toxic! i would try to establish some distance with him, without confronting him (since he sounds like someone who would try to gaslight you if you confront him). i wish you the best of luck with this

3. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to the horrifying hidden world of abusive homosexual relationships and sister you better believe you are not alone, it is far more common than you might think.
    From personal experience I can tell you the more effeminate you are the more likely you will experience it though there are plenty of masculine/masculine partnerships where it goes on too.
    Guys think they can avoid it by acting masc. but the truth is the abusers pick up quick on the ones they can manipulate, it's just easier to for them to identify their chosen victims from the pool of exclusively receptive/effeminate partners because by our nature we tend to be just as neutral and non violent as effeminate females.

The abuse usually begins psychologically as you described, playing on any fears you have of being outed, picking at your own internalized homophobia, chipping away at your self worth and adding blocks to your self doubts.
    Once they break you down that way and your anger begins to rise these dudes move right into physical torture. Reminding you that you can fight back but it will just hurt more, for you. And hey, you know you like it anyway,,,, right?

4. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll add, as you found out, the more "in the closet" a person is the more ammunition the abusers have to play with.
    He's out and you are in he'll threaten to out you to create fear and make you feel you are a possession he has the total decision on whether to keep or throwaway.
    'Don't you DARE express any desire to end the relationship b****. Toys don't throw themselves away, people do.'
    This is the objectification you speak of in play.

If you are out and your boyfriend is in, especially if he is bisexual and in a committed same sex relationship though it is also just as possible if you like hooking up with gay guys who are in committed same sex relationships, things can get even more ugly and the ugly can come from both sides.
    The out-uncommitted partner can try to bribe the in-committed relationship involved partner to remain in the illicit relationship or the closeted partner can threaten the out partner in all kinds of horrible ways to "Keep this between ourselves, UNDERSTAND!?"

Not much scientific research has been conducted on same sex couple domestic abuse but believe you me it is out there, thriving and just as toxic as the more public hetero abuse and it plays by the same rules.
    Be careful "Out There."

5. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tell Tyler you are gay. You have already posted that he is accepting of LGBT people so it shouldn't be an issue. Then GTFO of the mini relationship you have with Connor the gaslighting dick head as he has no leverage over you and if you stay it will just keep getting worse.

#5 Humbly Me, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2018
  6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good advice from all above.

I'll add... the only power he has over you is your own shame about being gay. So, since you have already come out to half of the people in your circle... my suggestion would be to bite the bullet and simply let everyone know. At that point, he no longer holds any power over you. And at that point... you get as far away from him as you can.

This is a toxic, self-serving asshole. In no way is he remotely deserving of any of your time or energy.

7. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my honest opinion, it seems as if Connor is extremely insecure. I might be overreaching with this but... I have a feeling Connor might be closeted and he’s using you as a punching bag.

I know it’s hard to be honest with who you are, but if Connor does out you, it will expose him as the asshole he truly is.

8. smurf

Being nice and a push-over are two different things.

Right now, you are not being nice to yourself. You are being quite a dick to yourself by allowing a person to disrespect you in such a way.

Cutting ties off with him is no "being rude". Its having respect for who you are as a person and being able to start being nice to yourself.

Like everyone else above, it is time to either 1) let him out you 2) start coming out to more people faster.

9. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been in a situation like this with a "friend" (I use the term loosely). I started to have feelings for him after he started making more of a fuss of me and I thought it could be the start of something special. In the end it was all controlling behaviors and he even insulted my crush on him as making him feel disgusted. He was also openly gay to top it all off. In the end I cut him out of my life and he wasted no time in bitching to others about it and made them choose either him or me in his friend group. I'm not sure if he has any friends now, I know he was being deserted gradually. Anyway, if I were you, I'd look at why you think you have a crush on him and also ask yourself is it worth it with all of his negative behaviors.