1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my best friend? I'm scared

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShyTaco, Mar 10, 2018.

1. ShyTaco

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've wanted to come out to a friend for a while, but I don't know if I should.
    She's been my best friend for 7 years, and she's okay with me being bisexual. I don't know how she'd feel about me being transgender though. She seems relatively supportive of the LGBTQ+ community, but I've been her "sister" since we were in 3rd grade. I don't want our friendship to change just because I'm a boy. I'm terrified of her not accepting me or thinking that I'm weird or something. She's spending the night at my place tomorrow. Should I tell her then? Or wait?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ShyTaco....Well, first of all, only you can or should make the choice to come out to some one. So I'm not going to tell you yes or no. However, here are some thoughts...

If she rejects you because you are Trans, then you have to wonder just how good a friend she is. Real friends will stick with you when life gets rough. You might want to lay some ground work first by talking a little about the LGBTQ community as you prepare her for telling her that you are Bi. While doing that you could talk about each of those letters (LGBTQ) just a little so she knows more about it. That would also let you gage her reaction. Sometimes if there's a lot to reveal to some one, doing it a little at a time works. Something like....
    1) I think I might not be straight
    2) Sometimes I feel kinda Bisexual
    3) Okay I'm sure I'm Bisexual
    4) Something else is just not right
    5) Hey (to your friend) Have you heard very much about Trans people?
    6) Sometimes I feel like I just don't fit my body
    7) I think I might be Trans
    8) Okay I am Trans

Hey, these are just suggestions...a lot depends on you friend and how she views the LGBTQ Community. If you've known her as long as you say and you are close, you might be able to tell her everything at once...you could kind of start and then decide to tell all or just part depending on how she reacts.

I sure hope it goes well....keep us posted!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Naters2000 likes this.
  3. ShyTaco

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I finally told her several days ago. We didn't discuss it much, but it kinda weirded her out. We're still friends though.