1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BiDragon, Mar 14, 2018.

1. BiDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello EC!
    I’m a trans guy and I don’t experience dysphoria, or at least I haven’t noticed that I do. Lucky me. Anyway, I’m also asexual, and I was wondering if being ace could somehow effect the amount of dysphoria you could have? I know sexuality and gender are completely different things, but I’m still curious if it’s just a coincidence or not.
    Thanks,
    Alex

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No you're sexuality would have no impact your gender identity. Gender dysphoria is feeling intense discomfort about your primary or secondary sex characteristics. Trans people can be any sexuality and be attracted/not attracted to anyone at all, it makes no difference.

I'm just wondering, if you don't mind me asking, how do you know you are/justify being trans if you don't experience dysphoria? It's always confused me.

BiDragon likes this.
  3. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, thats amazing that you don't experience gender dysphoria. Gender identity and sexuality are two complete things. In your case, you may not be experiencing gender dysphoria do to you just feeling comfortable in your body right now. Best of luck to you in the future my friend.

BiDragon likes this.
  4. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could see how being ace could affect dysphoria when it comes to having sex with people, like if you are a trans man you may be uncomfortable with having sex pre transition because it increases dysphoria, but other than that I can't really see that being the reason as to why.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... being trans without dysphoria... you just know your gender. It's hard to explain, but it's instinctual knowledge, like... you know if you're happy or sad and so forth. If we are talking about physical dysphoria, because obviously it is a little awkward if you're socially received as the wrong gender, so that might count as social gender dysphoria. I mean, this is my take on this.

As for the original post... your asexuality might have an impact, I think, you have less gender to confront if you don't have sex. Sex can be a really bad topic when it comes to gender issues. Romance too - for example you go on a date with a dude as a trans dude with boobs and in a dress you liked on the hanger in the shop, and this dude starts the usual traditional gender roles BS... not fun. He has to be the man, he has to make a rose petal out of you, he gets offended that you play in the local sports team, and so forth... old and well known story. And he doesn't take no for an anwser, stupid narrow mind. There is the same issue with sex, just related to the particular bed situation.

6. BiDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your replies everyone. And yes, I’m very lucky that I don’t experience dysphoria. Hopefully it doesn’t appear suddenly one day...