1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone who has tattoos...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... what ointment/product do you rub on your fresh tattoo(s) during the healing process?

For two of my tattoos, I just applied regular moisturizing lotion on it once to twice a day, and they both healed well. (My first and second tattoos)

For my third tattoo, I applied unscented Vaseline on it a few times a day, and it healed well too.

I had my first tattoo covered up, and on the last touch-up date, I got my fourth tattoo (A semicolon behind my ear). I applied Bennetts nipple cream (You can Google it if you want) and they healed well.

My fifth tattoo (On my left outer forearm), is also being treated with nipple cream, and it's healing well.

I'm curious to read what other tattooed people have used and how it worked for you. It seems to me like there are many options to choose from, based on my own experience. My tattoo artist, who did the cover-up, the semicolon and my latest one, however, recommends the nipple cream, as it's moisturizing but not as dense as Vaseline, so the tattoo can still "breathe". (And it aids in the healing process too).

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got told by my tattoo artist and various friends to use bepanthen, it's baby nappy ointment but it's soothing and moisturising (meant to be used sparingly) and surprisingly recommended for tattooos here in the UK.

#2 Aberrance, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used Aquaphor for my tattoo and it healed up nicely.

#3 Kodo, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  4. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also heard about people using coconut oil on new tattoos. Anyone have experience with this?

Aberrance - We have Bepanthen here too but I had no idea you can use that on new tattoos. Good to have a back-up in the event I don't find nipple cream. Fortunately I stocked up on it once I found some so I have some peace of mind for a while at least, lol.

Kodo - I have never heard of Aquaphor. Maybe it's only where you live? But it sounds like it could be some sort of camphor-based cream or something?

I also know that you can apply Zam-buk (Also a camphor-based product, used by some for chapped lips). I'm a bit wary of using stuff with a strong odor on a tattoo, because I don't know whether or not I'm doing damage or somehow inhibiting healing.

5. StarlessSky

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With all three of my tattoos I was told to use Bepanthen for the first 4 days as well as washing it with Dr Bronners Peppermint oil regularly
    Ater the four days to switch to E-45 cream.
    They have all healed really well. :slight_smile:

6. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome! Thanks for contributing too. There really are so many options to choose from, and all seem to do the job well. I think the main thing is to keep the tattoo hydrated without smothering it

7. Fyrefox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was told to use a mild antibiotic ointment, Bacitracin I believe. My tattooist accommodatingly gave me a few pouches of it.

8. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. Nice that your tattoo artist gave you some to start you off with.

Well, with all the products I've used myself, and heard you guys using, I sure won't run out of alternatives, lol. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks after I got my latest tattoo. Then I have to wait two MORE weeks to have the reds in my tattoo touched up. And after the touch-ups I will have to apply ointment again for a few weeks. Sigh. So I guess I can say this tattoo (together with the touch-ups) will take around 6-8 weeks to heal. Oh well, it's worth it. I love my ink lol.

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My artist recommended some called Desonide, and it worked well for me. The tattoo lost a bit of color (it's blue and yellow), but i think it was because of other problems (my skin has a bit of problem with acne, even if it isn't as bad as it was a few years ago, and i forgot to use sunscreen a few times), so i don't think it is the product's fault.

In anyway, i think i'll try something else on my next tattoo, just to see how it works.