1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice. Does my straight best friend have feelings for me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ninjytiger, Mar 6, 2018.

1. ninjytiger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, so I just wrote half a novel on here, then accidentally erased everything, so I'm just gonna try to make this as short as possible. I need advice. I'm so madly in love with my best friend, it hurts me. I've been best friends with Joe since the eighth grade. We always made the dumbest jokes together and spent as much time together as we could. I realized I was gay when I was 18. I came out to him and most of my friends when I was 21. Joe said he was fine with it, and always suspected it. We carried on like nothing ever changed. But I have never told him how much I love him. For the longest time, I always thought he was straight. He's had many girlfriends and always talks about how sexy random women he would see was. He is uncomfortable around very flamboyant gay men. I've never been that way. I talk mostly like I'm straight. I don't show obvious signs of my orientation. Not really out of fear. More of I know who I am, I don't need to flaunt it. I do look a little feminine though. Long hair, short and petite. Skinny jeans. But that's about the extent of it. But back to Joe. As I said, he has had many girlfriends, but he would always eventually talk to me about all these things he didn't like about them. Then a month or two later, they would end up breaking up. I always just assumed it was just relationships that didn't work out. Nothing more.

It's been 5 years now, since I fell in love with him. I have went through so much pain and depression over the course of that time. I've lived with him on more than one occasion. I even tried breaking myself away from him. I managed to for 6 month but I was so broken. I didn't see a point to even keep carrying on without him. Then he reached out to me one day and we became good friends again just like that. I accepted that I would never be with him. I would rather be his friend and be there for him. I'd rather see him be happy than to tell him how much I love him and see our bond dwindle away until there's nothing left to hold on to. I simply can't live without him. He gives my life meaning in an otherwise meaningless world. And I couldn't do it to him. I'm basically the only friend he has anymore. And him and his current girlfriend have told me about how depressed he was when me and him weren't talking. Even if he doesn't love me like that. I do know he loves me. And that alone is enough for me to sacrifice my own selfish love to see him smile.

But it just seems like things are different recently. Joe has a girlfriend now of 2 and a half years. They have a baby daughter together. But here's the thing. I live close to him now, and we literally see each other every single day. I will drive to his house and just hang out with them, watch movies, joke around, help out with stuff. I enjoy it and with the many things I've been dealing with, it's been my only source of happiness.

But lately, i've been noticing subtle signs he shows towards me. He always teases me, always. And I do the same to him. We've always argued like an old married couple, but I notice it more now. And he's doing the same thing as he's done with his past girlfriends. He tells me about how lazy she is, and how she seems uncommitted. Or how stupid she can be. How he's tired of all the drama from her family and how she doesn't see that things need to change for the sake of their daughter. He's just showing signs that he's not as happy as he was when he first was with her. While it hurts me that he has to feel that way, it made me realize the pattern. And the fact that I'm the first person he comes to about these issues. Or when he has a breakup, he comes straight to me. Just because we talk about everything. But every single day I am over his house just hanging out and spending time with him. I'll admit, a lot of it is me. But at the same time, he just expects me there every day. He definitely doesn't mind me being there. And many time's he's wanted me to come out there.
    I don't know anymore. I can't tell if he has feelings for me, but he's extremely conflicted about the general aspect of liking a guy. Like, he has a family which is what he's always said he wanted. And he was raised in an extremely conservative family who would disapprove of him being with another guy. So maybe he has that fear too. Because I don't know of any other people who are friends and are as close as me and Joe are. That are as big a part of each other's lives as we are. The only thing that is lacking is the physical side. I think some of that is me tho. I make it a point not to make my feelings known so I refrain from being touchy with him. Especially with him having a girlfriend. I hate cheating so I wouldn't contribute to one. Honestly, now that I think about it, he touches me more than I do him. Not affectionately, more of playful, but still. Or maybe I'm just bat shit crazy and I'm imagining him growing feelings towards me because of my feelings for him. I just can't tell anymore. The way he looks at me sometimes, really makes me wonder, though. And it's honestly eating me away inside. I wish I could just tell him without ruining anything. Maybe just the fact that he knew how much I love him would make me feel better. Or that it could give him an opening to tell me how he feels. But at the same time, I know Joe. He could just say no, then slowly stop talking to me. It would be damaging to him, but he does have a family and having your gay best friend over who is in love with you every day could make things a bit uncomfortable for him. I'm so confused, and I want things to work out so badly. But I can't lose him. I don't care what you guys try to tell me, that I would feel better, it would be best for the both of us, I don't care. I won't lose him. If I have to spend the rest of my life sacrificing my happiness for his, I will. But I just want advice on whether or not you guys think that he could reciprocate my feelings. I know I kind of spread all of the signs I've noticed out, so I'll make a little recap list.

We see each other every day
    We have many years of history
    We text each other all the time
    He is showing signs of being unhappy with his current relationship
    He could have fear of his real feelings.
    He gets kind of touchy with me, nothing crazy tho,
    I know he would do anything for me.
    We are teasing each other 24/7 (Not exaggerating.) I think we do it to cover up how we feel. At least I do.
    He has asked me if I wanted to move in with him and his girlfriend on multiple occasions.
    I honestly think he has a slight suspicion that I like him. But doesn't do anything about it.
    We always get along despite how much time we spend together.
    The way he looks at me sometimes is questionable.

What do you guys think I should do, here? Should I tell him how I feel? Or wait to see how things go with his gf? I wouldn't tell him in hopes they break up. More of just so he knows how much he means to me and how despite how he feels, I want to always be there for him.

Or should I just not tell him ever, and do what I currently do, just keep him thinking the love is platonic and ensure nothing changes between us unless he gives me obvious signs he likes me.

Just please don't tell me to stop talking to him. I've seen that so many times on here, and I'm telling you I won't do it. I need him and he needs me. Even if his isn't on a romantic level. There's just too much history.

I just need to know what I should do. I think between the two of us, he would be happier with me. But that could also be my feelings playing tricks on my mind which could be the root of all that's happening here. But you guys tell me what you think. Cuz I'm so tired of the confusion.

2. hourtohour

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell him how you feel and if he doesn't feel the same way that's ok, cause he obviously cares about you

3. ninjytiger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really want to. But I just don't know when it would be a good time to do it. Like I said, he has a girlfriend, and while things seem rocky between them, I don't want to complicate matters for him more. Maybe one of these days I'll grow the guts to leave him a letter just basically saying how I feel. Or I could just get him really drunk and tell him to where there's a change he could be more open with how he feels in return. Thank you so much for the quick reply, though. I definitely needed an outside opinion on this. :slight_smile:

4. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How does his girlfriend think and feel about you? How does his girl friend think and feel about you and him?

What does his girlfriend think and feel about his idea of you moving in with them? Have you asked her?

#4 Richard321, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  5. ninjytiger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, she's asked me too because she's my friend. But she's also not the brightest, I hate to say. And if Joe has feelings for me, he's pretty good at hiding it. I think that she just assumes me and him are basically brothers and she never minds me being around because I help them both out with stuff. That's why I hate feeling like this and why I'm having a hard time telling him. I don't want to ruin either one of them being happy with each other, even if Joe is getting tired of things she does. I don't want to be the one that ruins it. The biggest thing is he has a baby daughter which would drive any couple to stay together. And I don't want to be the cause of a family splitting apart. :frowning2:

6. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's an interesting situation. And clearly it's full of dilemmas for you. I think that I think much as you do on it all.

7. duff0286

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, I'm sorry you are feeling this way and have done for so long.
    I waa in your position for 2 years between the ages of 18 and 20. I didn't think I could live without being with my best friend who had a girlfriend. I had come out to him and told him I was in love with him. He would sleep over and in my bed we would cuddle together and he would let me touch him intimately and then make me feel I imagined it and swore he was straight. It messed me up and I was so, so depressed. He would tell me he loved me and everything. Anyway, I felt I'd never get over him. Then one night I went to a club with a friend and met in my opinion, the most gorgeous man I'd ever seen. I was blown away by him. We went on a date a week later. Had a 2nd date 2 days later where he asked me whether I could be his boyfriend. Everyone says he looks like Pharrell Williams. We were both out to friends, but we came out to our families who were great.
    Anyway fast forward just over 11 years we are 8 weeks away from our wedding. I surprisgly got over my best friend right away and my other friends who knew the situation said he seemed really jealous. We stayed friends for a few years after, but we drifted apart. My boyfriend knew the situation and was cool with it all. Seems like a fairytale right? Well, maybe. But relationships take work and we are still close all these years later, but like all relationships, we've had tough times.
    If I'm being honest, you are looking for things to keep hope alive. I believe your friend is straight. It seems giving yourselves distance didn't work. Try another approach. Try meeting new people whether it makes you feel uncomfortable or not (I don't know). I believe your friend is straight and looks at you as the person he can trust and confide in. I don't think you should tell him, even though I think honesty is the best policy. Telling him might ruin what you have and by what you have said, he loves you a lot, but as a friend. Heard of bromances?
    You need to make a big effort and stop wasting your life and give yourself a chance of being happy instead of forever being unhappy.
    I'm sorry for the essay, but I hate to hear of this situation and know how things can change in a heartbeat. Your hopes and heart may dismiss my opinion, but nobody else so far has said they think you have a chance.
    Unfortunately your friend is straight and it is so common for a gay guy to fall for his best friend. Just read all the other threads. It barely ever works out.
    I wish you all the best and am here if you wanna talk more.

wardrobeescaper and Richard321 like this.
  8. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with other posts here that if you are gay then your same sex friendships are going to involve some level of sexuality and without it you are forever stuck in the frustrating and unhealthy realm of "The Friend Zone".
    You need to be honest with your friend and tell him how you feel or you are going to end up wasting your life and time chasing a toxic dream.
    Be you accepted or rejected, in the end you will be free.

#8 JaimeGaye, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Richard321 likes this.
  9. Bc2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m not an expert with situations like this but what I would do personally is I would get drunk with him sometime night, obviously not too drunk. You could let him know in a very subtle way by telling him you think he’s hot, or if your brave enough tell him you love him. If he doesn’t react the way you want him too, pretend like you can’t remember in the morning. When or if he tells you , pretend like You don’t remember and say that you didn’t mean it. It doesn’t sound like the best option but it can get you the answer you want without making it awkward.

10. Whiteguy12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am not seeing strong signs that he is into you sexually. I would start with asking him: who is his best friend? If he says you then I would leave it at that. Don’t be offended if he names someone else as this creates an opportunity to investigate if he has feelings for you. Everything you explained sounds like a real best friend- nothing more if it is mutual. If he is genuine and says another name as his best friend, then there could be signs that show a complex friendship. Other than that, he seems like a true best friend that vents to you about his girlfriend and other problems. This does not mean he has feelings for you.

11. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think that is a good idea at all. It is a bad idea. It is also deception.

12. starmotive

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. My current situation is so similar to yours :slight_frown: (minus the baby). I don't know what to do either but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone

13. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I second this comment. I've been there and done that... twice! Sometimes its comfortable to stay in love with someone we can't have, it's safe and requires no effort on either part. It's also very common in LGBT teenagers and young adults. Looks like its crunch time for you, you've had enough of this situation, otherwise you wouldn't be telling us about it. If it were me, I would put some distance between you and the crush. Get out there, go on meetup and meet people outside the LGBT community and get a hobby. Go out with some gay friends and get some dates in. You never know what is round the corner and I hope it works out for you.

Richard321 likes this.
  14. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also I recommend listening to the Cranberries song linger. It really helped me.

15. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I don't really see any strong signs that he's into you sexually. To me it just sounds like him having a best friend in you. I have close relationships with a couple of guys I work with and we're relatively like that. I'm not out to them, but we mess with each other, talk all the time, etc. We get touchy feely with each other. I just see it as a close friendship.

Now, the big difference is that I don't have feelings for them and you obviously do and your feelings are impacting you. I do think it would be beneficial for you to confess to him how you feel, but before going into that you should prepare yourself for him not reciprocating. He obviously cares about you, it's just hard to determine precisely if it's platonic or romantic, though I lean towards platonic.

Best of luck!