1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job advice.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bearhug1994, Mar 6, 2018.

1. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Needing some advice.
    I work for $15 an hr. But I drive an hour or more depending on traffic both ways. There is a job opportunity in my town for $12 an hour. I would drive roughly 10 mins. To get to it and there is hardly any traffic. Would it be worth it to take the pay cut and be close to home? Also I'm not very happy at my current job. Alot of stress an having to deal with idiots all day. I'm in maintenance and there is a lot of things that can go boom in the place i work if you mess up and im just tired of that weight being on my shoulders.

2. TaintedOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I switched from PC retail+repairs to completely different job and i regret nothing. First month was hard but it got alot better w/o stress at all.
    Just few subway stations and 5 min of walk now.

3. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I bet. if it wasn't for the money I'd do it without thinking about it. I'm just worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with bills if I drop in pay. I just think it would be better for me since it's right in town were I live. Plus I'm spending 60 or more a week in gas

4. TaintedOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Weight all pros/cons, calculate your budget and find out if its worth switching or not.
    And i bet you can save alot by driving there and/or just walking.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as I can still get by, my preference would almost always be on the side of closer + less stress

6. smurf

Do the math!

Calculate your monthly expenses.

Calculate how much mileage you get per gallon. Then calculate how much gas you will need for each job.

It seems like if you are saving enough money from gas, then it will definitely be worth it for you.

The other thing to think about is long term.

Is there advancement opportunities at any of the jobs? Do they give raises?

#6 smurf, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea I'm in the process of figuring all that out. The thing is about raises is they both do. I started at 14 an hr. Been here for 8 months already got two raises. I know a guy that works at the other place that started at 12 and has been there almost two years and is almost at 15 an hr. I just kinda feel like I'm too young and don't have enough experience on this kind of equipment for a company to rely on me to fix things the way they need to be. Idk what to do

8. smurf

If this is the only reason why you want to leave your job, then I would suggest you don't. Your job is to try your hardest and do the best job you can, not to fire yourself.

If you truly feeling that you are way in over your head, then have an honest conversation with your supervisor. Do it in a way that 1) your supervisor knows you want to stay, but you want the best for the company 2) present a clear way to get better 3) think about your long term path.

So, you could talk to your supervisor and say something like "Hey, I've been feeling really grateful for the growth opportunity that I have been able to have. This is a great team and I have learned so much, but I'm starting to feel nervous with the responsibilities of the job and I would like to keep learning so I can best serve the company. I found this training/webinar/class that I think will allow me to learn more and keep improving. Is there a budget designated for staff training so I can take these classes?" IF there is no training budget or its too expensive, then ask if they can pay a portion of it or at least give you PTO to take the training.

This way you could hopefully get some free training from this position, you are able to feel more prepared, and you also open yourself up to being seeing as a go getter who wants to keep improving and doing better at your job.

Worst case scenario you leave the job like you were planning and best case scenario you get free training and better at your job.

bearhug1994 likes this.
  9. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people