1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good way to come out to parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by zxcv6789, Mar 2, 2018.

1. zxcv6789

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys,

So I'm going through the whole coming out process, and coming to the point where it's time to tell the rents. Now, I'm pretty lucky cause I'm pretty sure they're gonna be okay with it. They have always seemed pretty accepting of the gay community, and a couple of my cousins are LGBT and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

I guess the main thing I'm struggling with is how to tell them. I mean I haven't told them anything really personal.... basically ever. I just feel like it will be incredibly awkward if I sit them down and do the whole "mom, dad I have to tell you something". I wish I could tell them and have it be completely casual. Just drop it into a conversation or something. But I know my mom would probably freak out if I did that and ask a million questions anyway.... idk I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone has any good ways to do it without it feeling like pulling teeth the whole time. Thanks yall

2. Chartmann2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well this all depends on your age... Im a teenager so coming out to my family could/would be risky and/or unsafe with homophobic/transafobic parents/family... if your an adult It also depends need more info...

#2 Chartmann2, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  3. zxcv6789

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  4. DinoArtist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just do it through a text message when you're away from them. It will give them time to process it better when you go face to face. It's like testing the waters in a sense.

5. MaxDanger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would be pretty straightforward and direct about it, but look for an appropriate opportunity to launch into it. You don't necessarily want to blurt it out in the middle of church, or word-vomit up your deep, dark truth while a friend of the family is coming over to borrow the lawnmower. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done since there's never a "perfect time" to talk about it, but there should be appropriate opportunities that will eventually present themselves.

Wish there was an easier answer to this one, but if you're pretty sure that your relationship with your parents is safe, then it's the way to go.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are sure they will be okay with it, I'd just get straight to the point. There are two key words they need to hear and it doesn't take long to say... I'm Gay. If you sit them down for a deep and meaningful and then start a long preamble (like I did) you will only build the tension and anxiety and you may even back out completely. It really is better to get straight to the point, if you can.

I'm just wondering if your cousins know that you are gay? It might be a good idea to tell them a day or two before your parents, just so you have a bit of support. You could then say something like this to your parents:

"I was talking to Joe and Anna (or whatever your cousins are called) the other day. I wanted to let them know I am gay too. They were both really cool about it".

What do you think? Would that seem less awkward or random? At least you can tie your coming out in with their experience.

You are worried about your mom asking questions, so why not prepare for them in advance. What do you think she will ask? If you get your answers ready in your head, it should be a whole lot easier and it will help to persuade her that you have thought it all through and not acting on a whim.

If the idea of talking face to face is still daunting, you could leave them a short letter or a nice card, with an offer to talk some more if they want to.

Have the contact details for PFLAG to hand, just in case they need more support. In reality they will probably turn to the parents of your cousins if they need help, but it's best to be prepared. The PFLAG website has some downloadable resources, so you might want to print them off first.

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    zxcv6789......So glad that you feel your parents are accepting. I have often suggested writing a letter about coming out. Even if you never actually use the letter it will allow you to organize your thoughts and plan what to say. It would also help you to anticipate the questions that your mom may ask. You could write down the questions and answers....it seems that would be a good way to be prepared! I wish you the best of luck....this will be something that you will cherish for the rest of your life. Telling my wife and later my oldest son were so very difficult but those conversations are also two of the most important times in my life!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#7 quebec, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  8. zxcv6789

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for all the helpful feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm hopefully gonna tell them soon, I'll let you know how it goes