1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get some help from you Guys Please(School)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Keon, Mar 1, 2018.

?

Have you experienced homophobia towards you in your life

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Haven't told anyone yet

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Keon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    These questions are for an movement we are doing at school to help the LGBT community and also try to stop homophobia at our school. It is 50% of my grade and would appreciate if you guys answer these questions

1. Have you came out?
    2. Did you lose friends or family when you came out(If you did)?
    3.Do people often assume your personality or stereotype you because you are gay, lesbian, trans, etc.?
    4. Do you think will fully accept us?
    5.Do you think media( Music,TV,News,etc.) has affect the way people think of people like us(LGBT+)?
    6. Why do you think people think being LGBT+ is wrong?
    7. Do you think people should care about Homophobia and why?
    8. Do parents tend to give their kids a negative prospective and make them be scared of being gay, lesbian, etc.?
    9.Do you think the world is doing something to stop these issues that the LGBT+ community face?
    10. What do LGBT+ teens need to help them make it through high school or is there anything we should do to help them?
    11. How many LGBT people do you live by( basically describe your community and how LGBT accepting it is)?

Thank you guys and I really appreciate it for helping in m project

2. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a high school senior, and the only people I've told about my sexuality are my parents, my grandparents on my mom's side, my grandma on my dad's side, my stepdad, my 2 therapists (one of which is gay), one of my gay social workers, some of my school counselors, and one of my high school guy friends who lives an hour and a half away and is bisexual himself and he swore me to secrecy, it's been several months since I first told him and it seems like he hasn't told anyone yet because I haven't heard anything. So no.

3. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Only to a few people
    2. No
    3. No
    4. Not everyone
    5. Sometimes yeah
    6. Because some people are religious and they think it's a sin
    7. Yeah, I think making fun of queer people is wrong
    8. Some of them
    9. I hope so
    10. I would not come out in high school if I were you unless you really don't care what others think. I'm in high school and I'm not out to any of my friends that go to my high school because I'm worried that I might lose some of them.
    11. I know like 22 other LGBT people (about 7 lesbians, 6 gay guys, 6 bisexual girls, 1 bisexual guy, 1 trans mtf, and 1 trans ftm). I know before I said 21, but that's because I forgot to think of one other LGBT person that I know. The town I live in (not going to disclose the name of my town because people might speculate about who I am) is not very liberal though. The people that came out in my town must've been pretty brave.

4. Redsweater

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Not yet
    2. Not out
    3. Not out.
    4. If they, is society, than eventually. It takes time for stuff to happen (we might have to wait till some people die:joy:), but I think we will be fully accepted
    5. Yea, i feel like it does have an impact on how people view us
    6. I don't know
    7. Yes, becuase even little homophobic jokes have kept me from coming out to my friends and homophobia does take a toll when your on the recieving end(even if its not directed towards you).
    8. Maybe, I don't really know. My parents are fine.
    9. The whole world no, but there are people straight and lgbt+ who are helping to try to stop these issues.
    10. Im not in highschool yet, but lgbt+ books have helped and im looking fowards to the gsa club at the highschool
    11. I had a classmate that was lgbt+ but she moved to another school and I didn't really talk to her out side of school and I met a friend of friend that was also lgbt+. I would like to think my community is quite lgbt+ accepting. But I don't really know, its pretty small.

I hope this helps and good luck!

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Only to 4 people, none of them family
    2. No
    3.I do get stereotyped, but not because of anything LGBT related.
    4. Someday maybe
    5.Absolutely, the media has a huge effect on lots of things
    6. Outdated ideals and being brought up to dislike anything that is different
    7. Only in that they should be against it
    8. Depends on the parents. Some are really supportive and others are really not
    9. Some places more than others.
    10. They need to accept not everyone is going to be supportive and they need to have a little bit of a thick skin. Its only school and high school doesn't matter after you get out of it
    11. I have no idea how many, and I wouldn't call it a haven for anyone who is LGBT or certain ethnic backgrounds.

6. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Have you came out? Yes
    2. Did you lose friends or family when you came out(If you did)?
    I don't think so. I wasn't really talking to my Dad or his extended family at all prior to my coming out, so things really didn't change in that regard. Honestly, they seem to either be okay with it, or are more likely ignoring it, as there's no way they could have missed my Facebook post, and they keep seeming to show interest in how me and my closest family are doing.
    3.Do people often assume your personality or stereotype you because you are gay, lesbian, trans, etc.?
    I think I successfully come off as Straight most of the time, cause my outward personality never really changed. But I'll likely make my orientation at least more ambiguous by exploring my fashion sense in a more feminine direction.
    4. Do you think (they) will fully accept us?
    Society is in a very tumultuous time right now. We were on a good track before the last election. But now that the far right have been emboldened, I think we're seeing a small but fierce push-back. Then again, we are seeing more liberal activism than ever before too. So no one is giving up the progress we've made without a fight.
    5.Do you think media( Music,TV,News,etc.) has affect the way people think of people like us(LGBT+)?
    Abso-friggin'-lutely! The media has chosen for years to depict most gay and lesbian characters in the fem and butch stereotypes respectively. Some instances of gay-centric stories on sitcoms have surprisingly took the concept seriously and respectfully, but only in rare cases. Movies have been about the same. Only in the last year or so, after Gay Marriage was legalized by the Supreme Court have we seen a positive yet still very slow influx of unambiguous but also non-stereotyped gay couples, usually just minor inclusions as someone's "unconventional" parents or something like that. Main characters, especially in cartoons, still have yet to be openly gay. Although what's most frustrating is that media and commercial advertising companies very clearly prefer to depict Lesbian relationships in favor of any other kind, because the idea of two women showing intimate affection for each other is still perceived as more socially acceptable. I've seen no less than 3 inclusive advertising campaigns utilize gay women as a stand-in for all LGBTQ people rather than 2 guys, which I wish someone would be brave enough to do. It's still risky, I know, but someone has to rip that bandaid off before gay men can truly begin to be accepted by a greater number of people. If we no longer perceive it as a "big deal" or as "taboo" to show on TV regularly, then society will accept us more openly.
    6. Why do you think people think being LGBT+ is wrong?
    Even when they aren't religious, and even when it isn't about the sex, it's all about personal hangups regarding perceived societal boundaries around intimate affection towards your own gender. People find it cringy to see two men or two women, or two people of a non-binary nature, caress and makeout with each other as a man and woman would. But in some ways, this wasn't always the case. Men used to show deep affection for one another back in the day, and still do in various countries around the world. They would openly hug, kiss, cry with, and share meaningful bonding time with one another. I've seen this from classic films, literature, and other historical media. But I guess sometime during the post-WWII era, these public displays of affection became inappropriate, and men became far more fixated on being perceived as manly rather than sissies. That's not to say that actual gay relationships were ever truly accepted. But once friendly affection between two or more men was no longer socially acceptable, it's no wonder it made things even harder for real gay men, and women, and trans people to be accepted by others.
    7. Do you think people should care about Homophobia and why?
    If you mean should people who support or are indifferent to the LGBTQ community care about the homophobia of others, then Yes. We should all take active homophobia seriously, because when it isn't simply an awkward lack of understanding towards LGBTQ couples, then it can become a seething hatred; something that angers and frustrates people enough to make them lash out against the community. Sometimes this is because they hate their own true nature and think pushing back will help them stomp out their own feelings. Or they believe they work for a higher power and want to make things so hard for us that they won't have to see us anymore. Either way, Homophobia is just as serious a form of discrimination as any other, and has been around at least 100 years.
    8. Do parents tend to give their kids a negative prospective and make them be scared of being gay, lesbian, etc.?
    I would say most parents don't assume their kids are straight because they themselves and their extended families are straight, so they never think to prepare themselves, or their children for the possibility that one or all of them might come out as something else. This doesn't always come from some form of homophobia or generational resentment, but from what we see all across this forum, it often is. So yes, whether directly or indirectly, I think the actions and words of parents do often present a negative perspective.
    9.Do you think the world is doing something to stop these issues that the LGBT+ community face?
    I think considering the ongoing resentment from religious groups and conservative communities, the wiser people of the world are doing all that they can. Certainly far more than they ever have before.
    10. What do LGBT+ teens need to help them make it through high school or is there anything we should do to help them?
    That is an incredibly tough question to answer. I think any active LGBTQ support or presence in schools would cause alarm for a lot of parents. That's number 1. Number 2 is that despite that, I think there does need to be a serious recognition that whether each school likes it or not, 1 out of every 45-50 kids is struggling with some form of identity crisis and sexual frustration. And the more options those kids have to talk out their feelings and get confidential or club-based counseling will make their lives much healthier. I've also become increasingly disturbed by the gradually deteriorating dress-codes at many schools, basically requiring everyone, especially the girls, to come dressed in the least fashionable clothes possible. Absolutely nothing that would cause distraction, nor anything that would inadvertently arouse the boys. My feeling, though, is that if school boards would get it through their heads that they need to keep their boys in check instead of punishing their girls, and fixed these dress codes back to what they were in the late 1990s, then there might even be room to allow boys to come dressed in unconventional attire that better suited their own identities. Not necessarily full cross-dress, but of course there are growing numbers of trans-girls and trans-boys who are extremely young, and they have to go to school somewhere. Schools need to consider all of this. If they aren't, then I think they might be getting too rigid or comfortable in their ways.
    11. How many LGBT people do you live by( basically describe your community and how LGBT accepting it is)?
    I recently moved to a new town within the Atlanta Metro are of Georgia. So I can't say by any stretch how accepting it is here. I hear this particular place is rather Red as opposed to Atlanta's Blue interior, so that may suggest something. What I can say, though, is that I have been unusually blessed with various Gay and Bi friends, as well as friends who are openly accepting of LGBTQ people. I don't know how I managed to have friends like that, even ones I never thought would understand when I came out, but there they are.

Sorry if this response was far too long, but I'm all about detailed responses.

7. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Yes, partially
    2. No
    3. No, since the people I came out to already knew my personality
    4. Maybe one day
    5. Definitely yes, media affects many views of people
    6. Because it's something different, and some people are afraid of difference
    7. Yeah, because it's just wrong, and if we won't fight it, it won't just dissappear
    8. My parents are exactly the opposite, they always assure me and my siblings that no matter our sexual orientation, they will always love us, etc.. There are many parents who give a positive view, a negative view, or just don't talk about it at all..
    9. Not the whole world, but part of it does
    10. Show them our support, and that they are not alone
    11. There are many LGBT people at my school, even teachers. Most of them are not very vocal about it, it's just known about them. I would say that in my area, people are generally okay or indifferent towards LGBT stuff. There are no LGBT clubs or something like that at my school (however we have one wall next to one classroom covered by LGBT symbols and nobody ever complained about it), but I also have never ever encountered real homophobia where I live (even not online, if I count homophobia targeting me or someone I know).