1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do openly bisexual males usually end up with husbands or wives?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anonmember, Feb 27, 2018.

1. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Read the title.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it can go either way. There is a lot of prejudice towards bisexual people though, borne out a false assumption that they can't make up their mind and are therefore incapable of monogamy. In reality, bisexuals are just as capable of monogamy.

3. BiGeek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree it PatrickUK
    It depends on who you fall in love with the girl or the guy

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it also depends on the person and what's going on for them. For some people, the 'bisexual' label serves as a bridge of sorts during the process of coming to terms with who they are. As we process the loss of our perception as straight, we go through stages (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) in understanding ourselves.

For some people, during the bargaining stage (which is basically, "OK, I like the same sex, but I can still end up with the opposite sex"), they identify as bisexual not because they actually are bisexual, but because they aren't yet ready to close the door on being straight (hence the 'bargaining'). For these people, they most likely are really gay, and once they get through the bargaining stage, they are able to let go of the idea that they are bisexual, and so they likely end up with a same-sex partner. For those who are genuinely bisexual, then I think it depends entirely on the person they find.

Just to be clear: This isn't to say there aren't genuinely bisexual people, only that the 'bargaining' often causes people to choose the bisexual label on the way to acceptance as gay.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Imho I feel like there are many more straight (and bi) women compared to gay and bi guys, so I feel like statistically speaking bi guys have greater odds finding a gf and eventually wife.

6. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think that's entirely true. bi men just seem to be more closeted than bi women. We can only go by what's reported. I think there is just as many bi men as there is bi women

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen nothing in the studies and research supporting the idea that there is any statistical difference in the number of bisexual men vs. women. This doesn't mean it isn't the case, but I'd think there'd be some data out there by now supporting this idea if it were true.

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess there could be dozens of factors why I know more bi girls than bi guys (maybe because I know more girls? Lmao). But regardless, with straight people of one gender of another in your dating pool, it'd be larger than the gay people of the same gender in your dating pool.

9. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most bisexual guys are closeted

10. BiGeek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of the reason for that is because when people think about bisexuality, they think of stereotypes. For example: Bisexuals don't exist; we're responsible for the spread of HIV and other STIs; we can choose to be gay or straight; or that we are actually gay or straight.
    Because of that bisexuals suffer from higher levels of depression, anxiety, and self-harm than any other sexual orientation.

11. Alaula

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely agree. I think U.S. culture puts a lot of pressure on guys to be more "masculine", therefore making it seem more socially terrifying for guys to come out. And, since bisexual guys have the option of choosing to be with a female for the rest of their lives (just as I, a bisexual female, have the option to be with a male for the rest of my life), they may just choose to never come out, just as I almost chose. Bisexuality is very real, it may just be harder for guys in our culture to admit to publicly.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well there's a broad and pretty unsupported statement.

I think it's safe to say there are plenty of closeted people, and I think it is also likely that more of them are men than women. As Alaula indicated, there are cultural and shame-related issues that contribute to this.

I don't think it's reasonable to say (nor have I ever seen any evidence to support) that 'most bisexual guys are closeted'. There are an awful lot of out-and-proud bisexual guys, and there are likely also a lot of gay men that are closeted for various reasons.

So... let's just be a little careful about broad generalizations, especially ones that can be inadvertently hurtful to bisexual men.

13. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More bisexual men are closeted than bisexual women and that's the result of the stereotypes that are worse for bisexual men than for bisexual women (like for example the one I hear the most a man who has sex with other men is always gay).

14. BiGeek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think saying most bisexual men are closeted is a bit much but Its not an unsupported statement
    https://bisexual.org/what-keeps-bi-men-in-the-closet/

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The journal database I use was down, so I could only see the abstract, but nothing in the abstract of the article implies or says that most bisexual men are closeted. The closest to such a statement is that they are "less likely to disclose", but that's a far cry from implying most of them are closeted. In fact, that study specifically recruited closeted bi men, so there's nothing to compare it to.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Openly, I would think same-sex. A lot of closeted bisexual men are in straight relationships, but once they come out, are basically seen as gay, and their reasons for coming out in the first place is to live a more authentic life, which usually involves same-sex experiences.

17. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to the Sociaal en Cultureel Planbureau in the Netherlands in 2012
    50 percent of men with bisexual feelings didn't tell it to anyone (only 3 percent of gay men didn't tell it to anyone)
    14 percent of women with bisexual feelings didn't tell it to anyone (only 2 percent of lesbians didn't tell it to anyone)

So not most bisexual men are closeted but a lot of them are indeed.

18. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my case, I consider myself bisexual based on technical gray areas. I am Gay, but my physical attraction to women still exists from when I was Straight. And the transition from Straight to Gay for me was surprisingly fast. Like, in just a few weeks the shift happened, and I came to grips with it over the following months.

But that's not all, I also think while I find certain kinds of typically handsome guys attractive, I think I have a specific attraction towards feminine guys, androgynous non-binaries, and trans-women. Which means I'm actually Pansexual.

It feels like bisexuals or pansexuals will have subtle shifts from time to time in who they find attractive or who attracts them, if they're even out about it. Bisexuality can make it (at least appear) easier to conceal one's homosexual feelings. So there's probably no likely or more likely scenario for who a bisexual person will end up with. But my gut level feeling is that either comfortable Bisexual people are simply super-open to who they love, or, to use an analogy, they have a Major in Homosexuality and a Minor in Heterosexuality.