1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying A Dress Advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Snidi, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi all,

I want to try to buy a dress but I'm nervous. Despite living in a progressive area, this is still scary for me. I want to be able to say some kind of excuse like it's for my girlfriend, or something....but I don't know how to say that with a straight face....

Ideally I'd have a girl buy it for me, but I don't know anyone, and I've been secretive on my identity....

Advice/suggestions? Thanks!!

2. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How about shopping online? That’s what I did for some stuff although I really don’t think people actually care as much as you think. It’s really difficult to get your head round that though, I am still struggling too. I’ve gradually been getting more comfortable looking round the men’s section and picking stuff up but I do regularly have to repeat to myself that people probably just think I’m buying for a boyfriend or whatever.

Personally, I’ve found the best approach is just to say nothing when handing it over and just act like it’s something you’d buy all the time. I’ve been in a few different shops and never been questioned once or had any strange looks. Worth noting that I’m afab and I feel it is fairly socially acceptable where I am for ‘women’ to buy ‘men’s’ clothes in shops so my experience will be different to others.

3. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I can't really shop online given the circumstances, but I'm hoping maybe I can figure something else out somehow...

4. TestMod

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, I don't have any advice, but I'm in exactly the same spot, with exactly the same irrational fears. Thankfully I am able to try shopping online, though I'm really impatient. I've gone shopping in the women's section with a female friend several times, and that helps a lot when I try going on my own. Just know that it will probably take time to start feeling okay with it.