1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are LGBT people more likely to have LGBT siblings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anonmember, Feb 24, 2018.

1. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just wondering because my brother is gay and I'm wondering if he could've contributed to me being bisexual.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not seen any published studies on this, but anecdotally, it does seem that there is some familial clustering. I know a number of families where there is more than one gay sibling, and many more where there seem to be multiple gay cousins in the same extended family.

3. SimonSaid

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think anything can be said definitively but I believe that people who tend to be in households with a lot of siblings the same gender as them tend to be more likely…I think it's really up to what you believe though, whether it's a choice or if it's genetic, or whatever. Personally, my own sibling isn't exactly tolerant of anything lgbt and I mean, look at me. So, it depends.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is more likely than it isn't. I've seen it be more likely across extended families more so than I have seen it within the same family. It really does seem to be proportionately higher in some extended families (aunts and uncles, cousins, etc.) compared to other extended families, where there are few if any LGBT family members.

I've also seen it hold true within the same gender in families with bigger broods of kids. And we've heard of and known smaller families where there are both gay and lesbian offspring, though that seems to be less common.

Professional researchers have been studying this for a long time and no one seems to have the key that unlocks this mystery. Even though it is asked often here, there's no such thing as a dumb question. People obviously want to know this information.

5. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure.
    however, I'm something like a gay ace and my sister is questioning, but she says she's probably bi ace, leaning more towards women. so maybe there's a thing.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're asexual (at least using the widely used definition), you have no sexual interest, so you therefore cannot be gay and asexual, or bi and asexual, as having attraction to one or both sexes is mutually exclusive to asexuality. Asexuality is a hardwired sexual orientation in the same way that hetero, homo, and bisexuality are.

While I haven't seen any evidence that asexuality (using the widely used definition) has familial traits, it is certainly the case that emotional suppression does run along family lines because it is a learned behavioral pattern. So to the extent that one doesn't have sexual interest because one's emotions are suppressed, then it is possible (perhaps likely) that others in the family may share those traits. But again, to be clear, what I am describing is behavioral, not sexual orientation, and so it does not qualify as asexuality.

#6 Chip, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  7. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    it's not really like this.
    asexual people do have variety of romantic orientations. mine is homoromantic as I fall in love with men only. that's what I meant, and it's not that uncommon among asexual to call themselves 'asexual gays' or 'asexual lesbians' or *insert whatever you want* just for that reason.
    it's not true that all aces never fall in love. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, no. Not if you're using the widely accepted definition. First off, at least according to the prevailing thinking among the overwhelming majority of competent professionals, there's no separation between romantic and sexual orientation.

Secondly, asexuality (again, using the widely accepted definition as used by thousands of mental health and allied professionals) is a hardwired orientation in the same way as homo, hetero, and bisexuality. One cannot be asexual and also have sexual attraction.

You're more than welcomed to use this label for yourself, but as stated above, there's no data supporting a separation between romantic and sexual orientation, so "homoromantic" is basically the same as "homosexual" except in the fact- and research-free information perpetrated on Tumblr and AVEN, neither of which is based in sound, credible research, and neither of which is recognized by most credible professionals.

And I can call myself "unicornsexual" as well. That label is just as ridiculous as claiming to be gay and also to be asexual, which by definition, means having no sexual attraction.

Well, that one I can believe, since most people who define themselves as asexual aren't actually asexual, according to the widely used definition.

9. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister is and has been completely A-sexual and A-romantic. She's a tomboy type that just never had an interest in romance or guys, nor does she show any attraction to women.

The funny thing is, I feel like my Mom gave me too many hormones when I was born, which deprived my sister of having her own when she came 2 years later. This resulted in me being hyper-sexual, and my sister being nothing of the sort.

10. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have read several articles that indicted a small but significant increase in the chances of a boy being LGBT based on the number of older brothers. The more brothers the higher the chance.. Don’ know for sure the validity, but what I read was based on a scientific study.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: