1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Vulnerable to Overcome a State of Vulnerability

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Feb 25, 2018.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s a beautiful day today, I am outside enjoying the weather while having a coffee and I had a random but interesting thought: Making myself vulnerable helped me overcome the state of vulnerability I experienced after I embraced my sexuality and decided to live my life authentically.

After my rebirth as a gay man I found myself in a very fragile state of mind. I lacked confidence, self esteem and self worth. I was filled with shame, regret, guilt and internalized homophobia. I was an infant unable to stand up and walk, yet alone run.

And as I sit here this morning listening to the birds and feeling the wind brush against me, able to not only walk through life but run again as well, I have looked back on my journey and have been contemplating how one of the key contributing factor towards building confidence, self esteem and learning to love myself was making myself vulnerable to others.

So interesting how the mind works, just thought I would share it.

2. Rana

Rana Guest

It's interesting how that works isn't it?
    I know people who would never reveal their authentic selves, and it's sad to see. Sometimes their walls seem impenetrable. I've always tried to be open, but I have self-esteem issues that aren't resolved. I'm trying to work on them though.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So beautiful and so true, <3 thanks for posting this. I'm so happy for you reaching this stage of inner peace and joy.

4. AmyMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is so perfectly articulated, and lines up with my own journey. Thank you for sharing this - it put a smile on my face because I realize I am not alone in my feelings. I think this message would be particularly important to the LGBT youth out there who feel lost.

5. love doll

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True. Once I have accepted my true orientation honestly to my own self after decades of conflict and struggle, I too feel a renewed confidence in myself after the initial feeling of vulnerability. I am so happy that I am not lonely, there are so many like me... And we are perfectly normal.