1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dauntless, May 10, 2012.

1. MotifSky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Boy Meets Boy (and I can't remember who its by!) is really a fun book. Rainbow boys is also wicked good!

2. Glitters

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    M/M (male/male) romance is my favorite genre. There are so many fantastic books I could recommend! In no particular order, here are some of my favorites:

- In the Absence of Light by Adrienne Walker
    This is possibly the most important book I've read. The main character has autism. I always considered myself a very non-judgmental person, but this book made me realize I had much to learn. It really opened my eyes to people with disabilities. It sounds cheesy, but I do think it made me a better person.

- The Ira Adler Series by Jess Faraday
    This is historical fiction set in 1889. I usually don't like historical fiction, so for it to end up as one of my all-time favorites, you know it's good! Every single word was important. I was absolutely hooked. The plot? Simply phenomenal and unique.

- Barefoot Amongst the Thorns by AD Tonsi
    An angsty book about immortality and reincarnation. The supernatural elements were written in a believable way. It was very bittersweet, with a very satisfying ending.

- The Roads Series by Garrett Leigh
    Ah, even more angst. This series deals with very broken characters. I really related to Ash. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the characters being fictional. They seem so real to me.

- Change of Heart series by Mary Calmes
    A series about werepanthers. That's right. The first book was good. But the second book? It blew my mind! The universe is so unique. Whenever I see the question "Which universe do you wish was real?" this is the one that comes to mind. It'd be so awesome if it were real.

- Beneath the Stain by Amy Lane
    Back at it again with the angst. (My favorite genre, if you can't tell). This book actually changed my opinion on relationships. In a way, it helped me deal with my own jealousy, as it made me realize that love is different from person to person. I just...really felt like I learned something from it.

- Switched by N.R Walker
    Best friends to lovers. Isn't that cute? The chemistry between the characters made me gush. The plot is interesting too - it's about a boy who was switched at birth. It's a bit angsty too, but definitely worth reading even if you don't like angst.

- The Lost and Founds Series by Edmmond Manning
    I never know what adventure awaits me when I pick up a book in this series. But I know no matter what it is, it will be magical. If you're looking for a real ride - and an eye-opening experience - choose this series. Vin, the main character, is my favorite character in any book ever. (The second book in the series is the best in my opinion. I cried like a baby. Not from sadness, but just from being overwhelmed. It was absolutely beautiful.)

- THIRDS Series by Charlie Cochet
    This is the series that I always look forward to reading the next book in the most. It's about shapeshifters and humans. Except most humans hate shapeshifters, and most shapeshifters hate humans. There's a government organization (sort of like the FBI) that employees an equal amount of shapeshifters and humans. But it's way more complicated than that. This book is filled with just the right amount of action and humor, to create a truly unique experience. I know my description isn't doing it justice, so I highly encourage looking up the description to the first book, which is titled "Hell & High Water"

#322 Glitters, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  3. seeastar

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Colorblind by Siera Maley!

4. ZINEB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My two favorite books( lesbian stories) for all the time are : And playing the role of herself by K E lane, and Give me a reason by Lyn Gardner.

5. LucasCain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I primarily read lesfics and some of my favorites have been:
    - The Cain Casey Series by Ali Vali (Book 0 just came out this month. Totaling the series out to 7.5 books.)
    - The Oregon Series by Jae (Good for if you enjoy slow burn romance and westerns taking place in the 1800s.)
    - The Aud Torvingen Series by Nicola Griffith (A good mystery and psychological thriller series.)
    - The American Yakuza Series by Isabella (Yes! Another female mob boss series with a bit of kink mixed in.)

A bit of warning though that all of these series are not for minors and do contain a number NSFW scenes.

6. UmmPizza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I picked up "They Both Die at the End" - has anyone read this yet?

7. And it exploded

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not a big reader I must say but I'm reading a book called we will not be silent. It's about a nazi resistance movement called the white rose. One of the kids was in a gay relationship at the hitler youth, which they where in before they chose to risk there lives for what they believed. Truly inspiring

8. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Today was the first day in about 5 years that I have willingly bought myself a book.

Bought "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda". Cannot wait for the movie (especially with Simon being played by Nick Robinson), so figured I ought to read the book. Done the first two chapters already and love it!

9. flitterpad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Miseducation of Cameron Post is soooo good!! I honestly would recommend it to every queer girl out there, so long as they are okay with reading about tough topics like compuslory heterosexuality and homophobia. You can really tell that it was written by a lesbian and accurately portrays the experience of queer girls. Its starts when this twelve year old girl kisses her best friend and then her parents die a day later, and her growing up as a lesbian in a small town in the early 1990s. Its really touching, and it doesn't have a sad ending.

10. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been reading and rereading two books by Chelsea M. Cameron. Style is the first one, and Chord is the other. I can't say they're complex or intellectually challenging, but they're cute and fluffy. Right now, that's what I want in my F/F romance books. They're kind of my escape from life and deep thinking. I want to read about cute couples getting together and being cute together, and these books do that.

I also liked Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit. I can't remember the author off the top of my head, but it was another fun book.

I'd love to hear recommendations for other light and happy F/F romance books if anyone has a good one to offer. I'd prefer something in the young adult/new adult range, but I'll check anything out.

11. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't know if this one's been mentioned but I just finished This Song Is (Not) For You by Laura Nowlin, which is a YA novel with an asexual character and a polyamorous relationship :heart:

12. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Symptoms of Being a Human by Jeff Garvin

This is about a gender fluid teen and the process of them moving to a new school. It tackles them coming to terms with their orientation, bullying, depression, anxiety and suicide. It’s beautifully written and is a must read for everyone. I read it in one day!

13. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    just bought that today! Let me know what you think!

14. JK8

JK8

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just found out that Ssamba, the author of manga named “ exciting/fluttering feelings “ passed away :cry:

15. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure if this one has been mentioned, but I was in Barnes and Noble today and I saw a book called "This Book is So Gay" by Juno Dawson.

Now, I haven't read the book, but this is an excerpt from the description: "There's a long-running joke that, after "coming out," a lesbian, gay guy, bisexual, or trans person should receive a membership card and instruction manual. THIS IS THAT INSTRUCTION MANUAL. You're welcome. Inside you'll find the answers to all the questions you ever wanted to ask: from sex to politics, hooking up to stereotypes, coming out and more. This candid, funny, and uncensored exploration of sexuality and what it's like to grow up LGBT also includes real stories from people across the gender and sexual spectrums, not to mention hilarious illustrations."

16. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My favourites are Annie On My Mind and Keeping You A Secret. They were the first two lesbian novels I read.

Others I’ve read are

Fiction:

Girl Walking Backwards
    Kissing Kate
    Far From Xanadu
    Dare Truth Or Promise
    The Geography Club
    Boy Meets Boy
    Luna (trans character)

Non-Fiction:

Chely Wright: Like Me
    Jane Lynch: Happy Accidents
    Lucy Sutcliffe: Girl Hearts Girl

17. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw that book in Barnes and Nobles also. Hard to miss it, it's bright rainbow colored haha. The illustrations are cute.

18. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't get a chance to take a look at it though, I just saw it and looked it up later online.

However I did pick up a copy of Simon vs the Homosapien Agenda that day.

#338 BothWaysSecret, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  19. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell me how it is once you finish, I've heard the movie is superior and less offensive in some places

20. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I shall. In the middle of another book now, so maybe I'll read that one next