1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to care a less what others think of you?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mattroderic, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Mattroderic

Although lately I’ve changed a lot I still constantly have this feeling of being dependent of what other people think, specially from my family. How can I live more freely whithout thinking to much?

2. Mattroderic

3. mask1985

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They can't live your life for you, nor should they. People will love or hate you either way so the important thing is to just be yourself. Some people will like this and some won't but in your heart you will know what you are doing is right.

JYoungBear, Niagara and Mattroderic like this.
  4. Mattroderic

I absolutely agree, the thing is that then when something happens I react differently. For example, once I was walking in public with a guy I was dating and suddenly a guy I know from college (we barely know each other) appeared and I just got too nervous. Or even walking in the street holding hands with another guy in front of people I don’t even know I still get nervous.

mask1985 likes this.
  5. mask1985

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    PDAs can unfortunately be tricky - I'm not sure how things are in your part of the world. Obviously don't do anything to put yourself in harms way but if the worst you get is an odd stare then that's not so bad is it? Maybe the more you do it the less the nerves will be.

Mattroderic likes this.
  6. Mattroderic

I’m from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Things are just like in USA regarding LGBT, I mean we got gay marriage in 2010 and we have a government institution where you can denounce any discrimination you suffer but that doesn’t stop idiots from doing looks or shouting things. Either way I think big part of the problem has to do with me. I’m from a conservative family, my father is a devout catholic and I was raised to think homosexuality is wrong and although I completely accept myself and I have come out to almost everyone I still have this sense of shame when doing something in public or with my family (they don’t know I’m gay(I only told my mom when I was 16 but since then she is in negation so it’s almost as if she didn’t know))

mask1985 likes this.
  7. mask1985

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I agree some people are ignorant and will be idiots and no amount of legislation will stop that but the problem is definitely not you. You can't help what your family is like or how you were raised or what religion says about this. It is great that you accept yourself as this is often a big step but denying your true self in order to spare embarrassment or shame for others is no way to live. If your family love you as a person they should at least acknowledge everything else that comes with that.even if they don't necessarily like every aspect equally. Parents tend to have a pre-conceived view of how their kids will turn out to be and when something doesn't quite fit this perfect picture in their minds they can get unnecessarily upset so I appreciate exactly what you are saying. But fundamentally it is your life not theirs and trying to act differently in order to please them is not that good in the longer term.

Silveroot and Mattroderic like this.
  8. Mattroderic

Yeah it’s true, thanks for your answers I really appreciate them ❤️

mask1985 likes this.
  9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s an ongoing battle for me, for sure. I’ve gotten more comfortable with tuning into what I want despite what other people might think or say, so progress has been made.

Exposure and puting yourself in that situation definitely helps, as long as you are in a safe place to do that.

Mattroderic and mask1985 like this.
  10. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it helps to distance yourself from people you know and have history with.

I used to spend a lot of time caring about what my older siblings thought of me and would avoid doing things they would not approve of or might make fun of me for doing. It gets boring living like this, not trying things out on your own terms and giving yourself a chance to experience new activities and hanging out with new people.

Now that we are all all older and living our own separate lives, I can go off and do what I want and not care about what anyone else thinks because there is nobody around telling me what is right and wrong. We are still all close and get along with each other, but I found it much easier to discover who I am and what makes me happy without having people I grew up with constantly look over my shoulder and criticize me like they did when we were all younger. Losing that tension in your life can give you more freedom to be what you want and not worry about consequences.

mask1985 and Mattroderic like this.
  11. Mattroderic

I agree with both, on one side its a question of geting used to be exposed and on the other of keeping a distance with those that condition your life. For example, I recently moved out of my parents house and I’m living in a big city and feel much more free, however I feel that I still need to get more used to being exposed.

Devil Dave likes this.