1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my "straight?" friend into me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ScottDavid, Feb 18, 2018.

1. ScottDavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, so I have this "straight" friend whom ive been friends with for a couple of months, and I dont know if he's into me. I'm a straight guy, and id totally be okay if he's into me. I just want some of y'all to give me some advice because I dont want to ask him straight up and make things awkward. I put straight in quotation mark because he said he wasn't interested in girls and lacked a sexuality. He said he couldn't see himself dating a girl; moreover, when I asked him if he could see himself dating a guy, his answer was no. He's been a really good friend, too much of a good friend to the point I think he's treating me like his boyfriend. He's bought me lunch and baked me cookies. I remember one time, I had an interview on campus and forgot my tie. I texted him and told him about it, and he just replied asking what type of dress shirt I was wearing and went to campus to bring me a tie. Whenever we'd hang, he would look straight into my eyes and smile. One time during Spring break, we happened to travel to the same city during the same week. I texted him and see if he'd wanna hang, I got a response right away that said "where are you? I'll pick you up right now. We'll go to my favourite restaurant. You know! The one I always talk about?". He's always talked about that restaurant and how it'd really cool to bring me to that restaurant. He then uber me back to downtown to my place (he paid for my uber). He always texts me back right away. I'm talking bout within 5 seconds I'd receive a text back from him. One time I walked him back to his place after school, and he invited me inside insisting that he should make me something to bring home to eat. He made me a burrito and had me bring home. He's a really good cook. He always talks about how I should come over one day and make me dinner. I also remember seeing one of his snaps, it was a snapshot of texts exchanged between him and his sister. The snap basically showed a text of him saying how he only had one friend, and he liked him. I am not sure if his "one friend" is me. He always makes time for me whenever I ask him to hang. Like if I text him and ask him to meet in 10 minutes. He'd always says yes.

As I'm typing this im realizing his prob just a really good friend, but what do you guys think?

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just because male friendship isn't typically supposed to be this close doesn't mean he wants more from you. Just think of the average female besties and replace them with two guys. That suddenly seems hella 'gay', doesn't it?

Asexual people usually focus a lot of their attention on friends, so his behavior isn't atypical at all.

As for the snap he sent, you can't know if he meant liking in a more than friendly way.

3. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If he is really asexual, he probably has found himself his own form of relationship in you. He pretty much treats you like you are dating, but doesn't seem unhappy that you are not romantically involved and if you are fine with that, and he isn't becoming emotionally dependent on your satisfaction, then it is great that you can have such a close relationship.

4. ScottDavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do have a girlfriend and he knows it. He often asks me how my girlfriend is doing etc. What do you think I should do?

5. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't seem like you need to be immediately concerned about this. If he seems fine with the fact you have a girlfriend (which from what I can tell he does). Just update us on EC if you get the feeling your relationship with him is unhealthy or you feel uncomfortable with it.